Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

King Neferuneferuaten & the changing of names
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aromagician wrote:
I tried to post an interesting link on Nicholas reeves website.
It talks about how Tutankhamens Gold mask was originally made for Neferneruaten ( who he says is Nefertiti) He points to how there used to be holes in the ear part of the mask, which has been plugged up ( would have been for earrings) as well as other stuff.I also posted a link on an article about the KV55 mummy on the topic here.

I`ve read the article as well. Reeve`s idea that the goldmask has been made for some other Amarna ruler and then the original face has been cut out and replaced by Tut`s likeness is not new though. He has presented this thought in a TV docu about Nefertiti a few years ago but there he admits that the soldering of the face to the rest of the mask could also have been for practical reasons. It could have been the usual way of manufacturing such masks because it would have been too tricky to work the whole piece out of one large sheet of gold.
The statement in the article that the two main parts of the mask -the face and the headdress with collar- were made of gold of different quality. But this again does IMO not necessairily point to these parts having been manufactured at different times but could again have had practical reasons.

The pierced ears do IMO not at all point to a female ruler because piercing of the earlobes with big holes was common among royal males.
Virtually all of Tut`s statues or depictions display this feature, so the goldmask is not the odd one out.
The fashion for females at that time seems to have been ear piercing with two slightly smaller holes, as can be seen in the mummies of Tuya and the Younger Lady (I`m not sure about Queen Tiye though). Probably there are even more.
Fletcher had made a point of the YL`s double piercing pointing to her being Nefertiti as Nefertiti`s depictions often show this feature.
So had the ears of the mask originally been made to represent Nefertiti or another female ruler one would expect double ear piercing.

BTW the article can be accessed via a link in the post "The Woman behind the Mask" in Kate`s Valley of the Kings blog.
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The post in Kate`s blog I referred to is correctly called "The Mystery Woman behind the Pharao".
Got it nearly right Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: