Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On the eating and usage of Sacred Animals
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewayshemoves wrote:
I just read somewhere about the heart problems and clogged arteries that probably killed a lot of priests and pharaohs because of their very rich diet and I wondered the same thing. I'm assuming they didn't have too much chocolate, and sugars, so they had to have been eating just a ton of red meat and breads, because fish and vegetables wouldn't really have caused that would they?

I think we may have read the same article, thewayshemovesand that was exactly what I was pointing at, also the pharaohs themselves died of the same deceases, because during their lifetime they ate the same stuff (food) as they received in offerings after their death. Was this article on Osirisnet.net by any chance

Richard, aka
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
thewayshemoves
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toth wrote:
thewayshemoves wrote:
I just read somewhere about the heart problems and clogged arteries that probably killed a lot of priests and pharaohs because of their very rich diet and I wondered the same thing. I'm assuming they didn't have too much chocolate, and sugars, so they had to have been eating just a ton of red meat and breads, because fish and vegetables wouldn't really have caused that would they?

I think we may have read the same article, thewayshemovesand that was exactly what I was pointing at, also the pharaohs themselves died of the same deceases, because during their lifetime they ate the same stuff (food) as they received in offerings after their death. Was this article on Osirisnet.net by any chance

Richard, aka

I believe it was, haha. It's a small world.
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Think, the article is a bit outdated: From: A. de Buck, The Egyptian Coffin Texts, (Chicago, 1918), p. 326.

Pigs were associated with Seth, in later times. But were commonly eaten by the lower class. There are even records of donations of pigs to temples by certain pharaoh’s. So pigs weren’t considered that unclean.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
I Think, the article is a bit outdated: From: A. de Buck, The Egyptian Coffin Texts, (Chicago, 1918), p. 326.

Pigs were associated with Seth, in later times. But were commonly eaten by the lower class. There are even records of donations of pigs to temples by certain pharaoh’s. So pigs weren’t considered that unclean.

That also brings up another point about the changing and evolving religious iconography. In the book, it says that abstinence from pigs later was only on certain festival days, and otherwise it was enjoyed by most everyone. So, I guess as the gods and religion evolved, customs would have evolved too?
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, I guess as the gods and religion evolved, customs would have evolved too?

I think we all can agree, that customs, society and religion in A.E. (but also in other cultures) evolved and changed over time. Not always a good thing though.
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewayshemoves wrote:
Ranoferhotep wrote:

That also brings up another point about the changing and evolving religious iconography. In the book, it says that abstinence from pigs later was only on certain festival days, and otherwise it was enjoyed by most everyone. So, I guess as the gods and religion evolved, customs would have evolved too?

Pigs have come a long way to where they are now in the Near East under the influence of - yet again - religion
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: