Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hieroglyphs Sites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Fire_Man
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Hieroglyphs Sites Reply with quote

Does anyone know where can I find a good site which a lot of Hieroglyphs including it's description. And don't link to a hieroglyph generator, I want it to be in a list. Please help me.
Psusennes III
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the best thing to do is look for some books instead of websites. I think books can be more accurate and can contain more information about the meaning and transcription of the symbols.

Otherwise try "Egyptian Hieroglyphs" in google, there are just too many sites to post. Shocked

Good luck Razz
T.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how good it is, but here's a link you may want to check out:
http://www.hieroglyphs.net/000501/html/000-016.html

I think you need to know something about transliteration of hieroglyphics to use it. Then again, you need that to use books as well I think.

There are probably some used books on Amazon.com that would be worth getting.
I think that the dictionaries by Wallis Budge are considered to be the best.
I have seen these books at my local bookstore.

Found this:
EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPHIC DICTIONARY, VOLUME 1 - E.A. Budge: Nearly 28,000 words and terms are contained in the two volume set. All terms and words are derived from hieroglyphic texts dating from 3000 B.C.E. to 600 C.E. Arranged alphabetically, each entry consists of the transliteration of the word, the word in hieroglyphs and the meaning in English.
ISBN# 0486236153, $22.95

EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPHIC DICTIONARY, VOLUME 2 - E.A. Budge: This is part two of the set.

Raymond Faulkner wrote: Concise Dictionary of Middle Egyptian.
Book Description
This is a handy, one-volume dictionary of 5,400 carefully selected words likely to be encountered by both students and advanced scholars in the course of their regular work. Each entry consists of the most common hieroglyphic form of the word, accompanied by its transliteration, translation, references to texts where it occurs, its less usual hieroglyphic variants, and phrases in which it is used. The entire book is hand-transcribed by Faulkner in his clear and elegant hieroglyphic hand.

Don't know if this was helpful? Maybe you already knew about these books Very Happy
J-Fire_Man
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's great books. Actually, the purpose why I need them is ofcourse to learn how to read hieroglyph, but I'm making a program right now. The program will contain a great detail about hieroglyph, starting from how to read it, how to write using hieroglyph, etc. It will takes a long time to make it, wish me good.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to talk to Segereh about that. He is self taught as well. I'm sure he can point you in the right direction Very Happy

Good Luck Cool
J-Fire_Man
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm inspired by Hieroglyph Library program, but there are still lots of things still missing there, so I began to start my own program. I must learn to read hieroglyph first then put it in my program.
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might just be a little late, but here are some things you could look into, purely online resources for beginners in reading hieroglyphs. I haven't given a quotation or something on the sites, but that's just because they're the best ones I know of to be online. You will do just fine with any and all of them. Wink

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Alley/4482/glyphs.html
http://home.prcn.org/~sfryer/Egyptian/intro.html
http://www.***/mmm/egypt/hiero/1.htm
http://emuseum.mankato.msus.edu/prehistory/egypt/egypttutor/
http://webperso.iut.univ-paris8.fr/~rosmord/Intro/Intro.html
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Nook/7916/DrawGlyph.html

Feel free to visit my site in construction:
-- www.enks.net --
J-Fire_Man
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Segereh, Now, let's start programming. Any sugestion for my program?
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more site I forgot to mention, giving a database of different other sites, involved with the study of hieroglyphs, you can find here:
http://www.egypt.cd2.com/html/hieroglyphs.html
Some of them I already mentioned, but the other ones are very decent as well.

But if you actually want to start off, building an entire hieroglyphic database by yourself, I'd suggest you to go take a look at other, already existing programs. That might be more useful and a little less work. The study of hieroglyphs is pretty well documented on the internet and you will find more decent sites and programs involving the Ancient Egyptian writing than there are, concerning the actual language. Trust me, I know at least that from experience. Wink

But anyway, even if u would start building a database of your own, which is quite an admirable project, I could suggest two "musts". First of all, if you don't already, be sure to use Unicode documents to store whatever you come across. When I first started working on my personal database of the Middle-Egyptian language, I got this tip and I must say I'm glad I didn't get to hear it any later. Unicode documents allow you to use every kind of symbols, including hieroglyphs, if u have the Winglyph font installed for instance. So u can just write your hieroglyphs in this type of document. And if u ever want to publish your work on the internet, you won't get the annoying effect of certain symbols turning into Chinese characters. Really a must. Smile

I don't know if u have that Winglyph font? I don't have a direct link to it, but I'm sure you can find it on several of the sites I mentioned. My second tip is probably the most useful one: Hieroword. I won't make too much words dirty on it, but u have to take a decent look at this site: http://home.rochester.rr.com/lucabri/. Not to sound dictatorial or anything, but even if you chose to neglect the previously mentioned sites: this one you have to take a look at. Wink

It's a basic program, comprising a big part of the known hieroglyphic symbols. Sometimes their meaning has been inserted, but it can be used very easily for your own research and study, allowing you to look up most of the given symbols yourself. A lot of work indeed, but it beats starting from scratch, creating a "rival" program of your own.

And no, I'm not associated with that site or program (too bad).
This is not spam.

-- www.enks.net --
J-Fire_Man
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your advice Segereh. You're really helping me.
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a little technical info I recently heard of, which could be helpful for your research. It's not really easy and I must say I've had some work following the guidelines, but that could just be because I'm quite an idiot on this technical side of things. The program's up and running here now, but I hope you have more luck with installing it than I had. If you follow these guidelines, it'll probably go easier for u. This info is one more of those things I'd wish I would've heard of a bit earlier. Wink

Whereas the earlier mentioned Hieroword is a dictionary program, TKSesh is a word processor for hieroglyphs. TKSESH you can find at http://www.iut.univ-paris8.fr/~rosmord/archives/TKSESH/ (tksesh0999.exe is the file you'll need).

On the Hieroword webpage (see my previous post) there's a file CDME.rar which is Faulkner's hieroglyphic dictionary in Hieroword format. On the TKSESH page there's a file readCSV.tcl which takes the CDME.csv (file format after being uncompressed) and coverts it to a .dic file. In order to do this, you need to run the file wish84.exe located in the bin folder of the TKSESH installation. Go to file, source, and select the readCSV.tcl file. This will then allow you to "choose and convert" the CDME.csv file and convert it to the CDME.dic file needed to be read with TKSESH. Then, in TKSESH go to file, load old dictionary file and select the CDME.dic. This will take about fifteen minutes to load on your computer, but once it's loaded you do not have to do it again. (Thanks to AEL's Shaun for the details.)

I hope I didn't leave anything out. If it doesn't work and u wouldn't be tired of the technical side here, just give a yell and I'll try to help.

-- www.enks.net --
J-Fire_Man
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, for the meantime I can't fully working on this program Sad Too much homework to do and the exams are coming. But, thanks Segereh, you are really helping me very much. I appreciate your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: