Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Hom-Dai: Is it True or False?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Montuhotep88
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hollywood in general has a rather lamentable record when it comes to historical (and scientific) fact. There are a few notable exceptions, of course, but usually story-telling takes precedence over all else.

Although I would think that the "Mummy" movies are so obviously fictional that it would be apparent to even general audiences, apparently this is not the case... another notable example is "Sahara," which, although I must state that I enjoy Clive Cussler and liked the movie, had nothing to do with history; and yet, I fielded a number of e-mailed questions submitted to my Civil War Ironclads website about the supposed finding of the CSS Texas in Africa (utterly preposterous, of course-- A, it was a real ship that was never completed, and B, it was completely incapable of ocean travel anyway).
Montuhotep88
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(By the way, even Cussler copped to the impossibility of the Texas being there-- the characters note it, sort of a wink to the audience that this is action/fantasy.) Laughing
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neseret wrote:
Toth wrote:
Katherine, Neseret,

What strikes me is that all that misinformation has been there, seemingly unnoticed; cold it be a deliberate misinformation? A kind of persiflage on the mummy-movie type? The general public either didn't notice or thought of it as amusing until.. it was analyzed here (I guess) and found all the oddities. I can't think of Dr Smith not reading the script and not seeing those odd references to AE-history, but then he also was involved in the movie Stargate, so perhaps he did notice and thought "what the hell, no one but an Egyptologist will notice the difference and how many of those will watch this movie?"

The main problem one had with the overwhelming popularity of the Mummy movies is just how many people thought the darned thing was historically accurate. Seriously.

I can't tell you how many times I have been asked where "Hamunaptra" was (folks: it's a joke: it's based upon the "egyptifying" of the term Hymenoptera, which is the species name of bees (bee being one of the emblems of the king in ancient Egypt; it's pronounced the same: "hahy-muh-nop-ter-uh")), where can people read about the "evil priest" Imhotep (there is no texts as the character does not exist (except in the Karloff 1932 film)), is it true that people were buried alive (no), and my personal favourite, why have we Egyptologists never published the "Book of the Living" as talked about in the movie (because there is none?).

I found people retained more misinformation from the Mummy movies than from good factual information that could be easily found elsewhere - from books, even the Internet. If fact, most people told me what I corrected couldn't be true because, obviously, the movie had to be accurate. I mean, after all, didn't they have an Egyptologist working on the Mummy films? (That info got out, but few understood that Stuart Tyson Smith was just there for the "ancient Egyptian" language used in the movie).

In truth, the 1999 and 2001 Mummy movies are based upon old 1930's end-of-movie serials as a genre and really, do you expect them to be "accurate"?

I don't think so.

Hi Neseret,

Here's the difference between you and I:

You were asked stupid questions about the Mummy movie
I get asked stupid questions about the "Go Compare" advert- the new one. Laughing

That ridiculous advert is not only annoying, but has me singing their silly song in my head. And here's me giving them free advertising... Rolling Eyes

..and now i am singing the song in my head....

Stuart

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

Anup
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As awesome as our interpretation of the Ancient Egyptian sounds shouted, I'm sure the absolute form sounds absolutely rad. Just running up to someone and shout "INPU HATSHEPSUT AKHENATEN HAMUNAPTRA!" is sure to make them run thinking they're going to get eaten by locusts. It makes no sense, but it sounds cool.

Historical accuracy is a lot less fun to make a movie about. Though I must admit, a movie about the life of Ramesses II from his perspective would be highly interesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mummification All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: