Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why Do Scientists Disagree About the Age of the Sphynx?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sonchis
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:32 am    Post subject: Why Do Scientists Disagree About the Age of the Sphynx? Reply with quote

Scientists can't seem to agree on how old the Sphinx actually is.

I have seen dates ranging from 2,500 B.C. to 1 million B.C.

Seems like that's a pretty wide margin for error.
'
Manichev, V.I., and Parkhomenko, A.G., Geological Aspect of the Problem Dating the Great Egyptian Sphinx, Geoarchaeology and Archaeominerology, Pages 308-311, Oct 2008

Quote:
Voluminous geological literature confirms the fact of existence of long-living fresh-water lakes in various periods of the Quaternary and Lower Pleistocene to the Holocene. These lakes were distributed in territories adjacent to the Nile. The absolute mark of the upper large erosion hollow of the Sphinx corresponds to the level of water surface which took place in the Early Pleistocene. The Great Egyptian Sphinx had already stood on the Giza Plateau by that geological (historical) time.

Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started to read your link, but as soon as Shoch was mentioned, it screamed "fringe"! Then I looked at some of the other pieces mentioned--again, "fringe". The I gave it up as a bad try...
Sonchis
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osiris II wrote:
I started to read your link, but as soon as Shoch was mentioned, it screamed "fringe"! Then I looked at some of the other pieces mentioned--again, "fringe". The I gave it up as a bad try...

So peer-reviewed science is "fringe" now?

And is everything that is "fringe" automatically wrong?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article is a survey that furthermore suggests that the authors never set foot in Egypt. The list of references is questionable as it is rather seriously "cherry picked". There is no discussion whatsoever of the arguments against such an old age. So it looks fairly poorly researched and unbalanced to me.
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As annke states, Sonchis, all of the articles seem to be very poorly researched, and with no differing opinions stated.
Fringe subject matter has no place on this board. It is concerned with subjects that have been carefully researched, opinions compared, and conclusions reached that are agreed upon by several peoples who, unlike "fringers" have done careful research into the question and are familiar with the subject.
Anytime Shoch is mentioned, I automatically dis-regard any quotes of his that are used. His theories on the water weathering on the Sphinx are, to be kind, rather far out. There has been much study of the monument by qualified Egyptologists.
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anytime Shoch is mentioned, I automatically dis-regard any quotes of his that are used. His theories on the water weathering on the Sphinx are, to be kind, rather far out. There has been much study of the monument by qualified Egyptologists.

From my own recollections of the water- damage theory, it would appear that a great deal of research has been done over a very large period of time. It would seem that the suggestions about the shpinx being 10,000 years older than "we" believe (through looking at archaeological finds) were based solely on the water damage theory. This theory also disregarded the constant findings that the damage to the sphinx is through salt/sand/wind erosion.

Quote:

I have seen dates ranging from 2,500 B.C. to 1 million B.C.

Its down to evidence as i understand it. We have no evidence of an EGYPTIAN society (capable of carving the sphinx) older than the pre-dynastic period. 1,000,000BC would be a bit of a hyped- up theory, which would have no basis that would currently change any of "our" minds.

This is why (in my opinion) people look to the (currently non- fictional) Atlantians - to back up wild theories by including peoples who may never have existed. This gives people (incorrectly) confidence that others will believe in such theories (ie- they cannot be proved wrong or right).

I hope i am not too far off the mark here,
S
tuart

Stuart

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

Sonchis
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
The article is a survey that furthermore suggests that the authors never set foot in Egypt. The list of references is questionable as it is rather seriously "cherry picked". There is no discussion whatsoever of the arguments against such an old age. So it looks fairly poorly researched and unbalanced to me.

Why are professional scientists and their peer-review committees doing such a bad job?
Robson
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because there are bad professionals in all fields.
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we would need side by side comparison of images with sand and wind erosion and compare to make an accurate statement as to how the erosion was made. This article is based purely on the science of the geology of the sphinx. The picture shown in the article is also just of the sphinx, so as I am not a geologist, I cannot really say what it caused by. Furthermore we would have to know the evidence of the weather in the ancient time, which is hard to come up with exactly. Sediments would have to be studied and even then the science is hard to prove.
Aktisanes
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Body of sphinx Reply with quote

First and foremost, let's try to identify the body of this animal.
In my opinion this is definitely not a lion, lions, when they lie on their belly have a protruding pelvis wich stick out of their back.
The ancient Egyptians were masters in portraying people and animals and would never tolerate this error.
Lions also have a paintbrush on the end of their tails wich on this animal is also missing.
I think it's just a picture of a dog, so Anubis is the most logical candidate being the god of the dead.

Jean
leiza
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Body of sphinx Reply with quote

Aktisanes wrote:
First and foremost, let's try to identify the body of this animal.
In my opinion this is definitely not a lion, lions, when they lie on their belly have a protruding pelvis wich stick out of their back.
The ancient Egyptians were masters in portraying people and animals and would never tolerate this error.
Lions also have a paintbrush on the end of their tails wich on this animal is also missing.
I think it's just a picture of a dog, so Anubis is the most logical candidate being the god of the dead.

Jean

I think you have quite some valid points here that i would agree too!.
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point Jean, but there are also periods of time where their art portrayed simple depictions of animals or not very detailed depictions of them, like there are time periods where their art reflected a more realistic approach. The papyri in the Ancient Egyptian Book of the Dead by Raymond O. Faulkner come to mind, where you can see animals portrayed not in their exact likeness. If you take a look also at the Thoth statue as a baboon, baboons don't necessarily have that appearance or that anatomical structure, yet we can assume that it is, in fact, a baboon. The sphinx resembles most closely a lion, as dogs are skinny. The sphinx is also a creature that appears in other cultures as well, with the general likeness of the body of a lion. [/i]
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It`s a cat ...
evarelap
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
It`s a cat ...

Laughing
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean it is a cat? It doesn't look like a cat. I don't watch television.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Sphinx All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: