Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would you want to live forever?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you want to live forever?
Yes please
40%
 40%  [ 8 ]
No thanks
60%
 60%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 20

Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Would you want to live forever? Reply with quote

As a spin-off from the "If time travel would be possible" thread this question:

Imagine you were born in 6995 BCE, would you want to live forever so you could see what has happened since 6995? If "Yes" then why and what would be the largest drawback?

Richard, aka
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you want to live forever? Reply with quote

Toth wrote:
As a spin-off from the "If time travel would be possible" thread this question:

Imagine you were born in 6995 BCE, would you want to live forever so you could see what has happened since 6995? If "Yes" then why and what would be the largest drawback?

Richard, aka

The drawbacks IMO would be:

- Our brains are not capable of storing that much data
- You would have to endure all wars, famine in your region, you might die premature because of these

Anyone?

Richard, aka
Tez
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you would get tired of people, of seeing the same types, the same issues, the same mistakes over and over.

I think the unnaturalness of it would also wear thin after a while, as all those you know and love die, and then the next generation, and then the next generations...

It's odd, the older I get the less I fear death, it seems more natural and more an acceptable part of the order of things as each year goes by. So we may have some wiring that anticipates it, and putting it off indefinitely may cause some psychological problems.

Interesting question, tho.
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tez
First off all welcome to E.D.

You made a very good statement, getting bored, tired. As Iíve seen history, it repeats itself. I voted to live forever though
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tez wrote:
I think you would get tired of people, of seeing the same types, the same issues, the same mistakes over and over.

I think the unnaturalness of it would also wear thin after a while, as all those you know and love die, and then the next generation, and then the next generations...

It's odd, the older I get the less I fear death, it seems more natural and more an acceptable part of the order of things as each year goes by. So we may have some wiring that anticipates it, and putting it off indefinitely may cause some psychological problems.

Interesting question, tho.

Hi again Tez!

Thanks for the feedback the first two parts of your answer; as for the last part, I agree, but I don't think we are "hardwired" for it (but we could set up an entirely new thread about that, I suspect changes in hormone levels having something to do with it!)

Richard, aka
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
Hi Tez
First off all welcome to E.D.

You made a very good statement, getting bored, tired. As I’ve seen history, it repeats itself. I voted to live forever though

Yeah, but you wanted to experience the entire AE history, and that has consequences, I read in "The Complete Gods and Goddesses" that even the gods die... at the end of all things. And that makes sense, because we will go back to the initial conditions for the creation of gods and life.

Richard, aka
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to my previous post, I wonder if the AE had any notion of the movement in the universe as a result of "Big Bang"? And no, we are not going fringe! Just a question!

Richard
freeTinker
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live forever? - Philosophically, I have always been of the understanding that WE do. Perhaps (singularly) I don't, perhaps (singularly) you don't, but WE do. It seems to me that our understanding of TIME is what is lacking, we tend to see time in a very limited sense- past, present and future. But what if time is much more multi-dimensional?

And; if we are only capable of viewing time in a linear fashion, and just for amusement... what if time actually runs backwards? ie; we live our three-score years and ten, -pass- and then are 'reborn' at a time past, again to live our three-score years and ten, and so on, back, back and further back until we are one with the singularity

Perhaps you are your own great-great-grandfather in the future! and the past has yet to be... ha!

All I know (or suspect) is that wherever we have come from... to that same, we are returning- and when we arrive, all shall be a cycle

Did the AEs conceptualize the 'big bang' (or whatever)? - I think they did, their terms-of-reference may have been different, just as science and religions today may define the same with similar differences- who be right and who be wrong?

The sun rises in the east! - no! the sun sets in the west!
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dam*ed there is no sun at all today Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Tez
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toth wrote:
In addition to my previous post, I wonder if the AE had any notion of the movement in the universe as a result of "Big Bang"? And no, we are not going fringe! Just a question!

Richard

Their belief system postulated initial conditions, a kickstart type of event, and uniformity becoming less so and complexity increasing. Ancient, primordial elemental force gods (water, air, earth) evolved into jealous consorts and bickering siblings.

But however one fleshes out details, the concepts aren't that far removed from our cosmology something out of nothing or a very basic element, and increasing complexity over time until the current state is achieved.
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freeTinker wrote:
Live forever? - Philosophically, I have always been of the understanding that WE do. Perhaps (singularly) I don't, perhaps (singularly) you don't, but WE do. It seems to me that our understanding of TIME is what is lacking, we tend to see time in a very limited sense- past, present and future. But what if time is much more multi-dimensional?

And; if we are only capable of viewing time in a linear fashion, and just for amusement... what if time actually runs backwards? ie; we live our three-score years and ten, -pass- and then are 'reborn' at a time past, again to live our three-score years and ten, and so on, back, back and further back until we are one with the singularity

Perhaps you are your own great-great-grandfather in the future! and the past has yet to be... ha!

All I know (or suspect) is that wherever we have come from... to that same, we are returning- and when we arrive, all shall be a cycle

Did the AEs conceptualize the 'big bang' (or whatever)? - I think they did, their terms-of-reference may have been different, just as science and religions today may define the same with similar differences- who be right and who be wrong?

The sun rises in the east! - no! the sun sets in the west!

Bu then we could be in a grandfather paradox any day, this is a bit far fetched for me, and - in my opinion - you set aside the true question, which had no philosophically intentions.
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.........I'd only have wanted to live during the later stages of the classic maya period, some time around the 750s- 850s- to me no other time period in history is interesting enough culturally, artistically or spiritually to be bothered with.
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrismackint wrote:
.........I'd only have wanted to live during the later stages of the classic Maya period, some time around the 750s- 850s- to me no other time period in history is interesting enough culturally, artistically or spiritually to be bothered with.

Hi Chrismackint!

Well that is a whole new sound in a forum dedicated to Egypt Smile

Why would you prefer the Mayan culture over the Ancient Egyptian?

Richard, aka
Priest of Hekat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely if you truely did live right from the beginning of civilisation you would have become heavily involved in it. You would, after all, have become the fount of all knowledge and be perceived as a God yourself.

Hmmm! it has possibilities Wink

No, to heavy for me I would vote no.
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Priest of Hekat wrote:
Surely if you truely did live right from the beginning of civilisation you would have become heavily involved in it. You would, after all, have become the fount of all knowledge and be perceived as a God yourself.

Hmmm! it has possibilities Wink

No, to heavy for me I would vote no.

<grin> yes, it has possibilities, but - being a kind of "father of civilization" is a heavy responsibility, and being considered being a 'god'; I always keep in mind that "who rises to the ranks of the gods, may fall deep upon failure!", ask our "friend" Akhenaten... I heard they are still looking for him Laughing

Richard, aka
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: