Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microorganisms on mummies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Briology101
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Microorganisms on mummies Reply with quote

Does anyone know about any microbiological profiling information in regard to the mummies or mummification process? Specifically, have the mummies been characterized for the presence of bacteria, fungi or protozoa? I am curious as to both the potential novel species and their impact on the preservation of the body.
Hekat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Various studies have been carried out with regard to diseases in mummies, e.g. TB, bilharzia etc.

Is that what you meant or are you talking specifically in relation to the mummification process?
Briology101
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was mostly referring to microbiota that are preserved along with the mummy that could produce potential epidemics?
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Briology101 wrote:
I was mostly referring to microbiota that are preserved along with the mummy that could produce potential epidemics?

You mean you want to know if they are found, and if so... if they are still 'active', meaning dangerous to us, well a search with Google, brought me 1,800,000 results! A couple of those:

ANCIENT NILE'S HISTORY OF THE EGYPTIAN MUMMY Compiled by Janet Wood PDF dowanload available.

Making mummies, tells about active spores found on them] Also gives a list of deceases the Ancient Egyptian suffered from, some bacteria or parasite related some not.

Microbial Study of Egyptian Mummiessubtitled "An Assessment of Enzyme Activity, Fungicides and Some Mummification Materials for the Inhibition of Microbial Deterioration might be more of interest to you, the assessment was written by Abdelrazek Elnaggar, Ahmed Sahab, Siham Ismail, Gamal Mahgoub and Mohammed Abdelhady.

Ancient Egyptian medicine Subtitled ""In Sickness and in Health: Preventative and Curative Health Care mentions in footnote [13] a possible case of smallpox in Ramses V of which he possibly may have died; amongst other medicine related things mentioned in the article.

Tetracycline Wikipedia mentions significant levels of tetracycline in Nubian mummies, examined in the 1990s, which may have come from the beer they drank (beer as a health drink, how about that?)

I hope this helps you on your way for the time being, as search criteria I used "active microorganisms on ancient Egyptian mummies" (without the quotation marks in Google: Search string
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mummification All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: