Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gods with double plumes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Gods with double plumes Reply with quote

I was just "browsing" through my copy f T. Wilkinson's book about pre-dynastic Egypt this morning. There are petroglyphs showing a man in a cloak standing in a boat. The man points to the west I think and is depicted with double plumes.

Wilkinson comments that this may be a very early depiction of a god.

Amun is an obvious example of a god who has a double plumed headdress, but he really does not come into play until the middle kingdom and new kingdom.

What (if any) are god(s) from the late pre-dynastic to early dynastic period that sport double plumes? Egyptian mythology is not my strong suit, so I can't come up with an early dynastic deity with "plumes". Any ideas?
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osiris and Min come in to mind; further Montoe (Montu) who is an ancient wargod and Sobek. Nechbet the goddess of Upper Egypt and finally the Benu bird (Phoenix). Those are all very ancient gods dating from the dawn of A.E. religion who’s origins most likely lie in pre dynastic times.

Whether the double plumes for all these gods are original attributes of them and date from their beginning is more difficult to say.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two unlikely candidates are Andjety, pre-dynastic God of domesticated animals; Sopdu, mentioned in Pyramid text, protector of borders and later linked with Horus.
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevininabydos wrote:
Two unlikely candidates are Andjety, pre-dynastic God of domesticated animals; Sopdu, mentioned in Pyramid text, protector of borders and later linked with Horus.

Agree completely, also very ancient Gods
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had wondered about Min, but I didn't know if he was depicted with double plumes way back when. The figure in the boat doesn't have Min's other "attribute" (to keep it clean).

The imagery in the rock art is really interesting. The boats, ostrich feathers, etc.
kevininabydos
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
I had wondered about Min, but I didn't know if he was depicted with double plumes way back when. The figure in the boat doesn't have Min's other "attribute" (to keep it clean).
Yes he was, under the name Menu and without the "attributes". See E.A' Wallis Budge "From Fetish to God in Ancient Egypt" page 62 for a depiction. I did wonder before if it was a form of Min you were describing and that the cape you mentioned was in fact a depiction of him as half hawk, as in some illustrations it can look like a cape.
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:

The imagery in the rock art is really interesting. The boats, ostrich feathers, etc.

Too bad we have no picture of it. Has the man standing in the boat a human face or animal shaped face?

If animal shaped and since he is standing in a boat I would guess an early depiction of Sokar.

Since he is missing “a certain attribute” we can rule out Min.
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he is meant to have a human head, but it's hard to make out.
The cape or cloak I mentioned seems to cover his arm up to his elbow.

This is the best image I can find:
from this website

I know, kinda hard to see! I don't really have access to a scanner or I would get a better picture up here.
thewayshemoves
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to resurrect old threads, but I was just browsing through here and realized how much an interest I have in paleo peoples, pre-dynastic Egypt being one of them. The original question is quite interesting, and the things that can be gleaned about AE's early gods could be profound is questions like that could be answered. Is there any followup or better evidence of who (if any) of the gods that represents since this thread was made in November?
dashinvaine
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of images of double-plumed gods in boats feature in the rock art in the Eastern Desert. David Rohl relates these carvings to a proposed predynastic colonization of Egypt (via now dry waterways across that region) by a maritime people from the Persian gulf (Susiana or Elam- a culture related to the Sumerians). He speculates about connections between Osiris and a similarly named god from Elam. Falcons depicted on said boats also seem to relate to horus.

The rock art:

http://wysinger.homestead.com/rockart5.jpg

Interestingly Libyans also commonly seem to wear double plumes in New kingdom Egyptian images.

http://www.justiceraped.org/os/images/image/33.jpeg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: