Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is your favourite Ancient Egyptian statue?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
Which means according to you, Ranoferhotep? I did a quick Google image check on photo's of a well known Egyptian Mau (Quetesh) and she too has rounded ears, so it may mean that had an adult Mau as their model...

Richard, aka

An Egyptian Mau with round shaped ears?

The cat on display isn't exactly one with the sharp pointy ears you see - for instance on Siamese cats - this one too has rounded ears. Perhaps there is some influence from the Asiatic Golden Cat... Perhaps our members can tell us more?

Richard, aka

Richard, aka
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cat on display isn't exactly one with the sharp pointy ears you see - for instance on Siamese cats - this one too has rounded ears. Perhaps there is some influence from the Asiatic Golden Cat... Perhaps our members can tell us more?

Richard, aka

I would like to suggest we continue our discussion around the Mau and maybe other types of cats that might have occurred in A.E. in a new tread. I find it a very interesting subject. And as you Toth, Iím also a cat lover. Maybe one of the moderators can split up this tread, our we have to start a new one. I leave the honor to you, you now our moderators or Kevin better than I do. Meanwhile I will keep searching the net for all kinds of depictions of A.E. cats both drawings, paintings and statues.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This image of Amun's statue I have in Joanne Fletcher's book. I thought that statue is huge, but now I know that it's small, but still beautiful and monumental.

And that cat is a kitty!
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hathorhotep wrote:
This image of Amun's statue I have in Joanne Fletcher's book. I thought that statue is huge, but now I know that it's small, but still beautiful and monumental.

And that cat is a kitty!

Glad you like it Hathorhotep; it is indeed a very fine piece. If it would be huge I guess it would probably never have been found it is of solid gold. Its slightly damaged at one foot, and the plumes are missing but nevertheless it stays impressive.

Do you have a statue in particular that you like? You can choose from each category one. (pharaoh, queen, nobles, god, goddess, etc.. single statues, double statues, even triads)
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
Hathorhotep wrote:

And that cat is a kitty!

Glad you like it Hathorhotep; it is indeed a very fine piece. If it would be huge I guess it would probably never have been found it is of solid gold. Its slightly damaged at one foot, and the plumes are missing but nevertheless it stays impressive.

Do you have a statue in particular that you like? You can choose from each category one. (pharaoh, queen, nobles, god, goddess, etc.. single statues, double statues, even triads)

I think what she means is that there are no points of reference - just like in the Mau photo that you posted - that could tell if it is a young cat or an adult one, therefore assuming it is a younger cat

Oh, what happened to the old fashioned way of quoting? I try to keep bold face to an absolute minimum. About that cat statue: Not all cats have plumed ears, like for instance the Maine Coons.

Richard, aka
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the "rules" already have been broken, I'd like to add my share - with a modern day copy - like this:

which is supposed to be a statue of Bastet, and she looks really good

The description (if you'd like to call it like that) can be found at:

http://www.eyefetch.com/image.aspx?ID=1295193

Richard, aka
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to repeat my question, we take the discussion about cats and pointy ears or not to a new tread.

To get this one back on track: My favorite triad. In certain books also depicted on a larger scale, as are imitations or reproductions of it. But this triad is only 9 cm high and is actually a pendant from a necklace.

Triad of Osorkon II:
God Osiris surrounded by Isis and Horus
XXIInd Dynasty
Gold and lapis-lazuli - H 9 cm
Circa 874-850 B.C.
Musee du Louvre
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to be honest with you Ranoferhotep: I think the last statue is not a real statue, at all, but a computer rendering , which is, though nicely done, "just a computer image"

Richard, aka
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I posted this image of a (Ptolematic) Statue of Bastet:

, which opened a discussion on the rounded ears of the cat, and the request for a separate thread was posted, so... here it is!

Richard, aka
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
I would like to repeat my question, we take the discussion about cats and pointy ears or not to a new tread.

To get this one back on track: My favorite triad. In certain books also depicted on a larger scale, as are imitations or reproductions of it. But this triad is only 9 cm high and is actually a pendant from a necklace.

Triad of Osorkon II:
God Osiris surrounded by Isis and Horus
XXIInd Dynasty
Gold and lapis-lazuli - H 9 cm
Circa 874-850 B.C.
Musee du Louvre

That new thread has been started at http://forum.egyptiandreams.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=61049#61049
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toth wrote:
I have to be honest with you Ranoferhotep: I think the last statue is not a real statue, at all, but a computer rendering , which is, though nicely done, "just a computer image"

Richard, aka

The statue you presented is indeed computer generated, thus doesnít count really to this tread. I do invite you to give us a statue of your liking. The rules are simple. It canít be one already presented and for the rest it has to be dating from A.E., this includes also the Ptolemaic and Roman period. The rest of the rules if you want to call them like that, stay as previous mentioned.

I will check the new tread about cats also.
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
Toth wrote:

Richard, aka

The statue you presented is indeed computer generated, thus doesn’t count really to this tread. I do invite you to give us a statue of your liking. The rules are simple. It can’t be one already presented and for the rest it has to be dating from A.E., this includes also the Ptolemaic and Roman period. The rest of the rules if you want to call them like that, stay as previous mentioned.

OK, then we have a $350 cast of a real statue (But I consider that a commercial fake) Let's have this one in stead (this is the Gayer-Anderson Cat; Made out of bronze, from the Late Period about 664-332 BC. It is a representation of the cat-goddess Bastet. The cat wears jewellery and a protective wedjat amulet. A winged scarab appears on the chest and head. This sculpture is now known as the Gayer-Anderson cat, after its donor to The British Museum, where it still resides):

@ Ranoferhotep Even though this is a real cat, please note the rounded ears, but doesn't she look proud, a real goddess? Was it fashionable or admiration to give a Bastet statue golden earrings?
(duplicated to the "Cat Thread"

Richard, aka
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Cat thread should now really exist (I flunked on the previous attempt Embarassed ) at this location: http://forum.egyptiandreams.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=61058#61058

Richard
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toth wrote:
Ranoferhotep wrote:
Toth wrote:

Richard, aka

The statue you presented is indeed computer generated, thus doesnít count really to this tread. I do invite you to give us a statue of your liking. The rules are simple. It canít be one already presented and for the rest it has to be dating from A.E., this includes also the Ptolemaic and Roman period. The rest of the rules if you want to call them like that, stay as previous mentioned.

OK, then we have a $350 cast of a real statue (But I consider that a commercial fake) Let's have this one in stead (this is the Gayer-Anderson Cat; Made out of bronze, from the Late Period about 664-332 BC. It is a representation of the cat-goddess Bastet. The cat wears jewellery and a protective wedjat amulet. A winged scarab appears on the chest and head. This sculpture is now known as the Gayer-Anderson cat, after its donor to The British Museum, where it still resides):

@ Ranoferhotep Even though this is a real cat, please note the rounded ears, but doesn't she look proud, a real goddess? Was it fashionable or admiration to give a Bastet statue golden earrings?

Richard, aka

This is indeed a very fine example, and one who is frequently reproduced in all kinds of sizes and materials. I have two made in polyester of this specific statue.

Concerning the jewelry worn by this one, I believe more statues depict that, so I guess it was common to dress up not only the statues but maybe also the live sacred cats. To be honest mine donít even want to wear a simple cat collar. On the other hand, some people still dress up cats (dogs and other house pets) and sometimes in to the ridiculous.
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
Toth wrote:
Ranoferhotep wrote:
Toth wrote:

Richard, aka

The statue you presented is indeed computer generated, thus doesn’t count really to this tread. I do invite you to give us a statue of your liking. The rules are simple. It can’t be one already presented and for the rest it has to be dating from A.E., this includes also the Ptolemaic and Roman period. The rest of the rules if you want to call them like that, stay as previous mentioned.

Richard, aka

This is indeed a very fine example, and one who is frequently reproduced in all kinds of sizes and materials. I have two made in polyester of this specific statue.

Concerning the jewelry worn by this one, I believe more statues depict that, so I guess it was common to dress up not only the statues but maybe also the live sacred cats. To be honest mine don’t even want to wear a simple cat collar. On the other hand, some people still dress up cats (dogs and other house pets) and sometimes in to the ridiculous.

Agree absolutely, with hats and coats, mine would fight to her death to get rid of such clothing as she has a perfect coat of fur and she would be boiled inside such outfits.

Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: