Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ahas Abydos Label

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pre-dynastic Egypt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harsomtis
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Ahas Abydos Label Reply with quote

Hallo,

can someone help me to understand this label of King Aha? see http://xoomer.virgilio.it/francescoraf/hesyra/labels/xxaha3.htm

The first picture should show a temple of Neith (realy? Not the palace of his Mother Neithhotep?) - see http://rigefalksegypt.se/label.gif

Next picture: A stork on a throne? Another king? It was not his father, not his son. His grandfather of dynasty 0? A god?

Next picture: Two suns? A bird - the stork from above, walking?

Can anybody help with some interpretations?
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Ahas Abydos Label Reply with quote

Harsomtis wrote:
... can someone help me to understand this label of King Aha? see http://xoomer.virgilio.it/francescoraf/hesyra/labels/xxaha3.htm ...

Alejandro Jiménez Serrano : Royal Festivals in the Late Predynastic Period and the First Dynasty. - Oxford : Archaeopress, 2002. - ISBN : 1-8417-1455-0. - VIII, 116 p., ill., maps. - British Archaeological Reports - BAR - International Series - 1076.

On pages 57 - 61 he gives a short overview on the different interpretations of this label (page 58 gives the same picture as the link, so I omitted here) :

Greetings, Lutz.
Harsomtis
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ahas Abydos Label Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
he gives a short overview on the different interpretations of this label (page 58 gives the same picture as the link, so I omitted here

First of all: Lutz, you are the best! Very Happy

So there are realy readable hierogylphs on it... I thought (Dreyer?), that the first writing was more simple and just for administration. Wow...

I still have not understood the stork in the second row Sad

So there are more labels showing the same event... but the last line is different... why? Could it be a contract? The last symbol, the lion, meaning something like "for ever"? (The king will give us on every festival celebreting this event bread and oil and...? Maybe, because, some special people will come with ships again?) What could be the meaning of the last symbol (lion?)? The signs for 100 is clearly readable; also other signs.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ahas Abydos Label Reply with quote

Harsomtis wrote:
... I thought (Dreyer?), that the first writing was more simple and just for administration. Wow...

Dreyer's statement refers to the label - finds from tomb U-j. They are currently considered the oldest characters of mankind. See

Günter Dreyer [Mit Beitr.v. Ulrich Hartung, u.a.] : Umm el-Qaab 1 - Das prädynastische Königsgrab U-j und seine frühen Schriftzeugnisse. - Mainz : von Zabern, 1998. - ISBN : 3-8053-2486-3. - ix, 195 p., 47 pl., ill., maps. - Archäologische Veröffentlichungen - AV - 86

Harsomtis wrote:
... I still have not understood the stork in the second row ...

The bird names / identyfies the temple (on which he stands) / the town. Whether it is an ibis or stork is probably not really clear. Even if the bird itself is the deity or he is just representating the god is not clear.

Harsomtis wrote:
... So there are more labels showing the same event... but the last line is different... why? ...

The labels were used to identify certain goods and products which were deposited as tomb goods in vessels or boxes in the royal tomb. As I understand it, the last line specifying the content, possibly even the origin, of the vessel or box.

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Ahas Abydos Label Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
Harsomtis wrote:
... So there are more labels showing the same event... but the last line is different... why? ...

The labels were used to identify certain goods and products which were deposited as tomb goods in vessels or boxes in the royal tomb. As I understand it, the last line specifying the content, possibly even the origin, of the vessel or box.

In addition: The events on the labels stay for a particular year of the reign (see Palermo Stone). It is the year in which the product (last line) was supplied / manufactured.

Lutz
Aset
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The last symbol, the lion, meaning something like "for ever"? ... What could be the meaning of the last symbol (lion?)?
The 'lion' is the first symbol of the last line.
It's the sign F4, logogram / phonogram HA.t - forepart; beginning; foremost; best (Wb 3, 19.2-22.3) (Source: TLA)
e.g. best bread / incence / oil / meat / wine / linen etc.

Hannig, p. 505 (12): das Beste (in Zusammenhang mit Konsumgütern)

Aset
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pre-dynastic Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: