Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

upcoming movies about egypt
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://egypt.news.designerz.com/egypt-hopes-to-host-shooting-of-two-big-budget-movies-on-nefertiti-cleopatra.html

Looks like a couple of new movies coming up - on Nefertiti and Cleopatra.
The script for the Nefertiti one is written by....wait for it.....Ahmed Osman.
Should be a bit different.
Pretty big budget movies too.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sesen wrote:

The script for the Nefertiti one is written by....wait for it.....Ahmed Osman.
Should be a bit different.

LOL That's an understatement I think Laughing

Must have Joseph, and Oedipus in there somewhere?
His theories are pretty far out there, but amusing.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of Ahmed Osman...but I can't wait for those movies! But haven't they done too many Cleopatra movies already? Why not ones about Rameses? Or some other pharaohs that they haven't put inot films yet?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect you have heard of his theories though Very Happy

Quote:
In Part I of "Out of Egypt," Ahmed Osman reworks and firmly establishes the association between the Biblical Moses and the historical Egyptian 18th Dynasty Pharaoh Akhenaten, which was first noted by Sigmund Freud. (See "Giants in the Land: Opposition to the Ideas of Ahmed Osman" on this site for additional background on Freud's Theory of Moses and it criticisms.) In the Bible, Moses is said to have been followed by Jesus/Joshua as leader of the Israelites. Akhenaten is known to have been succeeded to the throne by Tutankhamun (after the ephemeral reign of Semenkhare). Having a solid basis for associating Moses and Akhenaten, it therefore becomes logical and necessary to at least consider a potential relationship between Jesus/Joshua, the protege of Moses, and Tutankhamun, the successor of Akhenaten.

Analysis of the account in Numbers Chapter 25 led both Sigmund Freud and Ernest Sellin (who had earlier coined the term "scarlet thread") to conclude that an Israelite leader had been killed at Mt. Sinai. Sellin and Freud both suspected that it had been Moses. Having the advantage of a more complete historical framework, Ahmed Osman presents comprehensive and compelling evidence that the "death in the wilderness" disguised in the Bible account was actually not that of Moses as suspected by Freud and Sellin, but it must be none other than that of Joshua son of Nun (meaning "fish," and later a symbol of Christianity). Moreover, Osman concludes that this event was the archetypal source of the tragic killing of Jesus (the Essene's Teacher of Righteousness) at the hands of the "Wicked Priest," and that this event occurred (at least in its original form) at the end of the Egyptian 18th Dynasty with the killing of Tutankhamun (Jesus/Joshua) in a jealous rage by Pa-Nehesy (Biblical Phineas), the zealous High Priest of Akhenaten (Moses). In "Out of Egypt," Ahmed Osman does not lean on techniques of psychology, but on established archaeological findings, accepted historical documents, and objective critical analysis of Biblical texts in making many persuasive arguments to that end. For example, the Talmud confirms that Phineas killed Jesus. This is most certainly not the off-the-wall investigation that it might first appear to be, but one that a preponderance of historical material demands must be undertaken. (See "Gospel According to Egypt" on this web site for a few of the arguments discussed in Osman's earlier works.)

isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I have never heard of those theories...he thinks that Moses was Akehnaten and king Tut was Jesus??? Now that is far out...

I did hear about someone else other than Osman claiming that Tut was Jesus...and his theories are even weirder...
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm not sure what the policy on this board is on bumping posts, but I saw a trailer for an interesting looking movie in the cinema today. I can't remember the name of the film, but from the looks of things it seems like a conspiracy theory thriller involving secret societies (i think it's the freemasons? They showed the eye in the pyramid of the dollar bill) and Egyptian treasure, and it seems reminiscent of Dan Brown's stuff, and being a fan of both the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons, this seems like a movie I'll be looking forward to seeing. And it's got Egyptian stuff in it. Very Happy
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean "National Treasure" with Nicolas Cage.

Here's a review

Haven't seen it. Sounds like a fun movie, but I may wait until it comes out on DVD.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something else. It's not a movie but i thought I'd post this.
Have any of you heard of a cartoon called Tut-stein? It's a cartoon about a little mummy in a museum who's brought to life by lightning (like Frankenstein) and who befriends a little girl and they have adventures involving the Egyptian gods. Yeah, I know, it's a children's programme, but I watched it and I was impressed by how accurate the details and plots related to Egyptian mythology were. It was one of those few non-documentary programmes on Egypt that got their facts right.
For example, Set is the villain in the series, but in one of the episodes, they referred to the fact that he protected Ra's sunboat from being devoured by Apep. Another episode was about Hathor becoming Sekhmet and running wild in the museum, which was also true to the myth. And they also said that Ammut was female, because most people think the devourer is male. And another thing that i liked were that most of the gods were shown as benevolent, including Anubis (who's usually seen as evil in all those mummy movies). It may be for kids, but I really enjoyed it, and can't wait to see more.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I've seen Tutenstein here on Saturday morning.
I thought it was hilarious. Like you said: it seems well done.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've watched a few episodes of Tutenstein simply because little kids visiting our museum (particular little boys, of course) like to talk about it. It's just a cartoon, but it does seem to pass along some legitimate facts. No harm done.

As for characters like Ahmed Osman, these people gleefully ignore great quantities of associated evidence to make such wild claims. They are not to be taken seriously. However, on the Ramesses special last night on the Discovery Channel, I thought it intriguing how they proposed that the more-or-less monotheistic religion of the Aten may have profoundly influenced the Hebrews who lived in Egypt at that time. Now that is a theory worth considering.
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just me going belatedly back to the movie National Treasure. Saw it advertised here and just had to see it straight away.
It is a bit Da Vinci Code-ish. I loved it, in a quirky, just fun kinda way.
Sean Bean I've always loved, but Nicolas Cage was pretty good too.
Well worth a look, either at the movies or on dvd.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not out here until Boxing day...and my mum seems interested in seeing it. Personally I think Nicolas Cage could be a better Robert Langdon than Tom Hanks...
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isisinacrisis, the copper scroll of Dead Sea Scrolls fame is generally believed to be a listing of temple valuables removed from the Judaic temple before it was destroyed for the second and last time. It is also kind of a "treasure map," in that it lists numerous locations where all of this treasure was secreted away.

The other night PBS had a special on a famous Hebrew cave where ancient Jews sought refuge during periods of persecution in Judah. It was a fascinating documentary. Recently excavated from this tomb was a cache of valuable items that some believe is actually part of the ancient temple treasure hidden away.
brillopad
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Akhenaten movie Reply with quote

I've also heard there's an Amarna movie in development -- don't think it's the same as the Nefertiti one mentioned above though, by the sound of it. Maybe the one the person in the first post auditioned for?

Can anybody else corroborate? I've checked www.IMDb.com and can't find it -- unless it's got a different title or something: what I heard was that it's called "Heretic". Anyone else got any titles yet?

I've heard it was pitched as "Cleopatra for the Gladiator Generation". Apparently it tells the whole Amarna saga: obviously focusing on Akhenaten & Nefertiti doing their thang, but starting in Amenhotep III's reign (with the death of Tuthmosis, Akhenaten's older brother and first choice to succeed their father to the throne), and ending with Tut's death and the final elimination of the whole affair.

I guess it'd be nice if they went for historical accuracy rather than basing it on some gee-whizz pseudo-academic US best-seller. (Someone said Dr Joann Fletcher is involved on the Egyptology side; should make for an interesting Nefertiti if nothing else!) Then again after the flak that Alexander's drawn for its Greek sexuality I'm not sure how Egyptian incest would go down with middle America! I just hope Alexander and Hannibal don't both crash & burn first; if they both make big losses, what's the betting Hollywood scraps all its other ancient history projects? (Anyone holding their breath for "King Tut"?)

Anyway, there you go, just thought I'd share... has anyone else got any more info?
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well apparently Alexander has been officially declared by the American critics to be a big turkey, and it seems the british critics are thinking the same as far as I have seen. I think the incest thing will put many people off but that's because many people are not aware that it was the norm in Egypt (talking of which, was it only royalty that did incest or did everyone in Egypt do it?) mind you, some of the soaps I watch here have had slightly incestual storylines recently so maybe it may not be such a shock...even so I'd love to see it! provided they get the details right, because I'm so fed up of the Egyptians not looking like Egyptians in the movies and the scenery being inaccurate and so on...

Has anyone heard of an old, and I mean really old, movie about the story of Isis and Osiris? That's not the title of the film, I can't remeber what it's called but I'm sure it had a sinister sounding title because it apparently mixes the mythology of Osiris with dark occult elements. I would love to see it though but it's not very well known and it's not a film that's easy to find, and I doubt I'll find it at Blockbuster rentals...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: