Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

upcoming movies about egypt
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
microphoneblues
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: upcoming movies about egypt Reply with quote

A friend of mine recently said he was auditioning for a small role in an upcoming movie about akhenaten. I was curious about it, so I googled it but I couldn't find anything about it. Has anyone else heard about it? Is it going to be a glorified titanic like movie?
microphoneblues
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard a little bit more - supposedly they are trying to make a movie about akhenaten's life and his attempt at monotheism. I know hollywood has a bad record of destroying great movies - but I think it is interesting that they would tackle a controversial subject like this. Maybe they just saw how much attention religion gets with the passion. Anyway, we'll see. If anyone else finds out anything, I am very anxious to hear about it.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who would play the lead roles? that's an interesting question...Catherine Zeta Jones as Nefertiti? Laughing
I'd love to see this movie even if it gets hollywoodised and historically botched up-are there any links to more info on this? I haven't seen anything on the Ancient Egypt Film Site about this...but there is also a King Tut movie in production. Maybe there'll be a whole bunch of Egyptian themed movies coming soon...can't wait! Very Happy
Meresankh
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I think there has already been a Hollywood blockbuster made about Akhenaten. It was called The Egyptian and was made in 1954, I think. It was based on a novel by the Finnish author Mika Waltari, called Sinuhe the Egyptian. Maybe they're doing a remake of it now.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen that!!! And boy was it Hollywoodised! LOL
Apparently the story of Sinuhe is an actual ancient Egyptian story, or Sinuhe was a real person. But I'm not sure.
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know the finnish novel but the tale of Sinuhe was about a nobleman who feared for his life when king Sesostris died and attempted to flee abroad. He became a man of high stature in a foreign court but eventually returned to Egypt and making it up with the king. To go very very short. Smile

Feel free to visit my site in construction:
-- www.enks.net --
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waltari sets the same story against the backdrop of Akhenaten's court.

It's a very interesting read actually.
Broadway_Babe
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh geez, I hope not!! I just finished something on Nefertiti's life....It is as historically accurate as I could make it...I need to get it finished cause if they are making a movie soon...ahhhhhhhhhh!! All that work will go down the tubes...LoL
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadway_Babe wrote:
..... I just finished something on Nefertiti's life....It is as historically accurate as I could make it...

Is it available for us to read? You've made me curious Very Happy
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see the movie-and then I can yell at the screen whenever they get things wrong!
I mean, recently there was a programme on TV about antique auctions-normally i don't watch those but they were talking about an Egyptian sarcophagus and the presenter said something like 'as you can see the mummy is protected by the wings of Iris' and I yelled "IT'S ISIS! NOT IRIS!!!! Iris is the Greek rainbow goddess!" Laughing
I'm surprised they don't have a 'bad Egyptology' website that lists all the inaccuracies in Egyptian movies and the like. Wink they have one for 'bad astronomy' and I think they have 'bad physics' as well, shwoing astronomical and scientific inaccuracies in movies...

Sorry, i went off at a tangent here-but it does tie in with the topic. I need to get a blog so I can rant all I want about random stuff...
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing...since the other movie thread is so long, I'll ask my Egyptian movie questions here, if you don't mind.

Has anyone heard of a movie called 'Isis Rising'? I never knew about it until I saw a picture on the net of it's dvd/video cover.
Nefertiry Merymut
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be great if there are some Egyptian movies in the works. I'd go to see them if only to see the recreation of Amarna and the Theban court. I have wanted to see that for years. Just like anybody here. Smile

However, I really hope they don't show Akhenaten as some noble founder of monotheism. I don't think he was, although perhaps it's fair to say he did some early thinking on the subject. Many experts have seem him as trying to revive the more elitist form of sun-worship and more exalted position of the Pharaoh that were present in the Old Kingdom. The people could not worship this god--they were to worship him. Not our idea of monotheism at all, and pretty hard to sustain after he died!

I have seen The Egyptian. Used to be shown on American Movie Classics before Ted Turner bought every old Hollywood movie in existence. It's not bad but definitely takes the pious view of Akhenaten's beliefs. (Also has the horribly inaccurate portrayal of Queen Tiye as a peasant who married Amenhotep.) It is much more fun for its recreation of the streets and courts. Sinuhe's servant Kaptah, played by Peter Ustinov, is a definite scene-stealer. Also, Gene Tierney gives a memorable performance as the nearly mad Bakhetaten.

BTW, what Psalm is it that is similar to the Hymn to the Aten??

Thanks,
Nefertiry
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's psalm 104.

I looked at it. It's similar in spirit, but I can't say that they are close to word for word copies...
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of that psalm too. I saw this programme ages ago about a 'copper scroll' which was found with the dead sea scrolls (I think) and there's a theory that this scroll may be Egyptian, originating from Akhenaten's time. It's an interesting idea...

Back to movies, here's a great link: http://www.wepwawet.nl/films/
This site lists almost every movie and TV programme to do with ancient Egypt: old, recent and upcoming.
Broadway_Babe
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: hey Reply with quote

sry, my thing on Nefertiti is not avaliable to read yet. I still have to get it all typed up and add in some more stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: