Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bringing Back The Antiquities
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calypsos
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's happening now is a REAL good reason not to have all the Egyptian antiquities is the same place.
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calypsos wrote:
What's happening now is a REAL good reason not to have all the Egyptian antiquities is the same place.

Let's not be too quick to turn the current events into an anti- repatriation argument. Those who are trying their best to recover genuinely stolen artifacts may see this as opportunism on the part of those who disagree with the repatriation of objects.

Wink

Regards,
Stuart

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you on that one.

I understand the desire of any country to have their masterpieces in their own land, and for instance Greece wanted the Elgin marbles back. So it's not new or only Egypt.

But the damage shown in the Egyptian Museum, not to mention the looting in Saqqara are a real concern.

But to be honest damage can occur anywhere. The Night Watch was slashed in the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam in 1975 and sprayed with acid in 1990. Paitings have been stolen out of European museums. For instance the Scream and the Madonna were stolen from the Munch Museum in Oslo in 2004.
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
I agree with you on that one.

I understand the desire of any country to have their masterpieces in their own land, and for instance Greece wanted the Elgin marbles back. So it's not new or only Egypt.

But the damage shown in the Egyptian Museum, not to mention the looting in Saqqara are a real concern.

But to be honest damage can occur anywhere. The Night Watch was slashed in the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam in 1975 and sprayed with acid in 1990. Paitings have been stolen out of European museums. For instance the Scream and the Madonna were stolen from the Munch Museum in Oslo in 2004.

I was unaware of Saqqara. I will be keeping the news on all day though to try to keep up to date.

Thanks for the info.

Stuart

Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no reports of Sakkarah. Has anyone news of Hekat and Priest of Hekat?
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reports about Saqqara I have from EEF. One of the emails mentions that Moustafa Wazery, the head of the West Bank reports further robbery in Saqqara. Not sure what is robbed.

In the past people have broken into the storage facilities where they keep finds.
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:

Sadly, no.

Stuart

Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styler78 wrote:
Ranoferhotep wrote:

Sadly, no.

Stuart

They, Hekat and Priest of Hekat, may not have access to their email accounts or the Internet as such, Hekat mentioned that she had troubles with the stability of their Internet connections, even before all Duat broke loose there
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toth wrote:
Styler78 wrote:
Ranoferhotep wrote:

Sadly, no.

Stuart

They, Hekat and Priest of Hekat, may not have access to their email accounts or the Internet as such, Hekat mentioned that she had troubles with the stability of their Internet connections, even before all Duat broke loose there

You may be right- with the cut-down on internet connection.

Reports in(Kate Phiz) suggest that Salima Ikhram and Barry Kemp (Amarna) are safe, as are the Hopkins University (Karnak/ Mut)

http://www.***/

Stuart

Sobek101
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calypsos wrote:

I agree, whilst I think we should return the artifacts to Egypt I do think we should wait until the rioting has died down before returning.
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sobek101 wrote:
Calypsos wrote:

I agree, whilst I think we should return the artifacts to Egypt I do think we should wait until the rioting has died down before returning.

After the rioting, we don’t know what will come to Egypt, it can go everywhere. I think returning A.E. artifacts back to Egypt won’t be priority one of any government, not even the Egyptian one.
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
Sobek101 wrote:
Calypsos wrote:

After the rioting, we don’t know what will come to Egypt, it can go everywhere. I think returning A.E. artifacts back to Egypt won’t be priority one of any government, not even the Egyptian one.

Still, the country is destabilized now, it may take quite a while to normalize, if ever...

Richard, aka
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
Calypsos
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawass got a promotion out of all this

==========

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 | News

On Sunday, 31st January 2011 Dr. Zahi Hawass was appointed to the post of Minister of Antiquities, heading a newly created department that will be charged with the care and protection of all Egyptian monuments and museums. This department will absorb the Supreme Council of Antiquities.

The following statement was made by Dr. Hawass this morning: “I would like to tell the people, all over the world, the good news: the storage magazine that was looted in Qantara, in the Sinai, has had 288 objects returned! I cannot say exactly how many objects were lost, but it seems that the majority of what was stolen has been returned.”

Dr Hawass went on to say: “I would like to say that we were afraid that sites around Alexandria were robbed, but the military is now protecting them all. Also, the site of San el-Hagar in the Delta, where important 21st and 22nd Dynasty tombs are located, is being protected by the local Egyptians. More good news comes from Saqqara, where a committee reported that, although outlaws did open the padlocks of tombs there, they did not enter the tombs or cause any damage; everything is safe. The Egyptian Museum, Cairo, is fine, too. A total of seventy objects have been broken, but the museum was dark and the nine robbers did not recognise the value of what was in the vitrines. They opened thirteen cases, threw the seventy objects on the ground and broke them, including one Tutankhamun case, from which they broke the statue of the king on a panther. However, the broken objects can all be restored, and we will begin the restoration process this week.

The commanders of the army are now protecting the Egyptian Museum, Cairo, and all of the major sites of Egypt (Luxor, Aswan, Saqqara, and the pyramids of Giza) are safe. The twenty-four museums in Egypt, including the Coptic and Islamic museums in Cairo, are all safe, as well. I would like to say that I am very happy to see that the Egyptian people, young and old, stood as one person against the escaped prisoners to protect monuments all over the country. The monuments are safe because of both the army and the ordinary people.

Some foreigners think Egypt is not interested in protecting our monuments and museums, but that is not true, at all. Egypt has 5,000 years of civilisation, and we love our heritage. I want to send a message to the people of Egypt: all of you are responsible, to ultimately be judged by your own history, to protect your monuments, and should not permit ignorance or outlaws to damage our history – it is the most important thing we own. I am sure the bells from the churches are ringing now, and the voices from the minarets of mosques are calling, to say that Egypt is a safe place to live. We all believe Egypt will be safe.”

In 2010 Dr. Hawass was installed as the Vice Minister for Culture so he might postpone his mandatory retirement as the Secretary General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, as there is no set retiral age for Egyptian ministers. Dr Hawass will have his work cut out in this new post (if the cabinet survives the current turmoil) with several museums and heritage sites across Egypt damaged or looted. His first priority will be to reopen museums and tourist sites such as the Pyramids of Giza and the Temples of Luxor as soon as possible. Last week, it was revealed that none of Egypt’s Museums had any insurance, which may place a dampener on any current attempts to regain antiquities, such as the bust of Nefertiti (Nefertiti’s bust will stay in German capital), until such times as the whole system is overhauled.

Read more >> http://www.pasthorizons.com/index.php/archives/02/2011/dr-zahi-hawass-appointed-to-new-egyptian-cabinet-as-minister-for-antiquities#ixzz1CoX46Tbe
Read the Archaeology News - then buy the Trowel at Past Horizons Tools
Calypsos
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawass got a promotion out of all this

==========

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 | News

On Sunday, 31st January 2011 Dr. Zahi Hawass was appointed to the post of Minister of Antiquities, heading a newly created department that will be charged with the care and protection of all Egyptian monuments and museums. This department will absorb the Supreme Council of Antiquities.

The following statement was made by Dr. Hawass this morning: “I would like to tell the people, all over the world, the good news: the storage magazine that was looted in Qantara, in the Sinai, has had 288 objects returned! I cannot say exactly how many objects were lost, but it seems that the majority of what was stolen has been returned.”

Dr Hawass went on to say: “I would like to say that we were afraid that sites around Alexandria were robbed, but the military is now protecting them all. Also, the site of San el-Hagar in the Delta, where important 21st and 22nd Dynasty tombs are located, is being protected by the local Egyptians. More good news comes from Saqqara, where a committee reported that, although outlaws did open the padlocks of tombs there, they did not enter the tombs or cause any damage; everything is safe. The Egyptian Museum, Cairo, is fine, too. A total of seventy objects have been broken, but the museum was dark and the nine robbers did not recognise the value of what was in the vitrines. They opened thirteen cases, threw the seventy objects on the ground and broke them, including one Tutankhamun case, from which they broke the statue of the king on a panther. However, the broken objects can all be restored, and we will begin the restoration process this week.

The commanders of the army are now protecting the Egyptian Museum, Cairo, and all of the major sites of Egypt (Luxor, Aswan, Saqqara, and the pyramids of Giza) are safe. The twenty-four museums in Egypt, including the Coptic and Islamic museums in Cairo, are all safe, as well. I would like to say that I am very happy to see that the Egyptian people, young and old, stood as one person against the escaped prisoners to protect monuments all over the country. The monuments are safe because of both the army and the ordinary people.

Some foreigners think Egypt is not interested in protecting our monuments and museums, but that is not true, at all. Egypt has 5,000 years of civilisation, and we love our heritage. I want to send a message to the people of Egypt: all of you are responsible, to ultimately be judged by your own history, to protect your monuments, and should not permit ignorance or outlaws to damage our history – it is the most important thing we own. I am sure the bells from the churches are ringing now, and the voices from the minarets of mosques are calling, to say that Egypt is a safe place to live. We all believe Egypt will be safe.”

In 2010 Dr. Hawass was installed as the Vice Minister for Culture so he might postpone his mandatory retirement as the Secretary General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, as there is no set retiral age for Egyptian ministers. Dr Hawass will have his work cut out in this new post (if the cabinet survives the current turmoil) with several museums and heritage sites across Egypt damaged or looted. His first priority will be to reopen museums and tourist sites such as the Pyramids of Giza and the Temples of Luxor as soon as possible. Last week, it was revealed that none of Egypt’s Museums had any insurance, which may place a dampener on any current attempts to regain antiquities, such as the bust of Nefertiti (Nefertiti’s bust will stay in German capital), until such times as the whole system is overhauled.

Read more >> http://www.pasthorizons.com/index.php/archives/02/2011/dr-zahi-hawass-appointed-to-new-egyptian-cabinet-as-minister-for-antiquities#ixzz1CoX46Tbe
Read the Archaeology News - then buy the Trowel at Past Horizons Tools
Calypsos
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also want to add to my statement about repatriation of all the egyptian antiquities.

If it wasn't for a possible revolution, what about natural disasters and fire...The Alexandrian library may have sound like a fine idea, but look at what happened and all that was lost when it burned.

There is no reason to move things from other countries to house them back in Egypt if they have been taking care of them properly all this time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: