Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How did the Ancient Egyptians worship their Gods?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Moses Reply with quote

Kaefra wrote:
Many years ago I was fortunate to study under Pro S G F Brandon in Manchester. Moses is an Egyptian word meaning born of so he is anonymised. The biblical record shows that Joseph entered Egypt when a non-egyptian king was on the throne i.e the Hyksos, which is why he had only to explain that they were ' Shepherds ' i.e Hyksos to get land and privileges from the king. ...

Well, than there seems to be several different versions of the Joseph - story. In the one that I know the whole thing runs a little different: After a brief career as an estate manager he first lands on the basis of false accusations of a woman in an Egyptian prison...

And by the way, the term "Jews" is used only incidentally from the Persian period on, for the inhabitants of the former Persian province of Jehūdāh.

Lutz
Kaefra
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Jews Reply with quote

Thank you for our comment - i am not a believer in there being any ' Jewish ' race so not a supporter of any priveliges given by 'god' to these people. But this well lies outside the scope of this orum. Though I was at a talk by a Mormon last night who asserted this as official Mormon doctrine - indeed 10s of milllions of other American Christians believe this.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My note had nothing to do with "political correctness" or something like that. I just find it questionable to use a term for a group of people in an era in which this term is still not proofed in the known sources and appears only several hundred years later. That borders on document / history forgery.

Lutz
Kaefra
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to Sivaroobini and Raneferhotep Reply with quote

Fristly to Ranferhotep.

Female priests occur all over Egyptian walls. They are the ones wearing the tight feather motif dresses often with vulture or cow horned headdresses. The guests often wear the flimsy fashionable muslin garments and carry offerings. The priestess leads the guest by the hand to another similarly attired so I do not think there is much doubt about this.

Many rituals are extant from the walls of temples.

Now to our Hindhu friend.
Recently I was matching a couple of soap actresses one from East Enders (UK) and another in Neighbours(Australia). I was stuck at how classical Egyptian both these ladies looked!!! ( that is in many classical Egyptian pictures.)
I also thought about how ritual purity with washing was so important in both traditions and also the decentred make up of the gods and goddesses within an overall framework. I think there my be something there from the past of both of these poeples.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Reply to Sivaroobini and Raneferhotep Reply with quote

Kaefra wrote:
... Female priests occur all over Egyptian walls. They are the ones wearing the tight feather motif dresses often with vulture or cow horned headdresses. ...

What you describe here is the typical dress / outfit of an Egyptian goddess, sometimes also worn by a queen. It is not the dress for "female priests", which were not as numerous ("all over Egyptian walls") as you seem to believe.

Lutz
Kaefra
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Dress Reply with quote

not so Lutz - if you study the classic pictures you will that this dress is almost exclusive to priestesses and the clients being received are dress nearly always differently.
Pictures from temple walls clearly differentiate between client and priestess.
Kaefra
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Dress Reply with quote

I think you are mistaking the meaning of the pictures, which often show a normal temple daily scene. You think matbe that the figures are mythic invisible ladies which bring real humans by the hand into the inner sanctum where and identicall dressed figure on a throne offers???? - help advice and all the usual services obviously. So the figure is not a statue but the chief lady priestess or a deputy who acts as the goddess.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Dress Reply with quote

Kaefra wrote:
not so Lutz

Yes exactly so, "Kaefra".

Kaefra wrote:
... - if you study the classic pictures you will that this dress is almost exclusive to priestesses ....

Show me one single example of an "Egyptian priestess" (identified by inscribed title) who is dressed this way. Show me a picture at all of a "hem.et netjer" from the NK...

Lutz
Va Phenix
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such stimulating conversation! Smile I too have the two books by Blavatsky, "Isis Unveiled." Smile

It has been my understanding, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong Lutz Cool , but when the unification happened between upper and lower Egypt, there is a great possibility that there was an 'exodus' from Egypt involving those who did not want to switch from their matriarchal ways, to the newly introduced patriarchal ways.

The Bible itself, and the big brew haha about it, is not for this site, but I do indeed have my own opinion about it. Let's just say ... the Great Goddess intended on it being/saying exactly what it did. She was a bit miffed with the world. Wink
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Va Phenix wrote:
It has been my understanding, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong Lutz Cool , but when the unification happened between upper and lower Egypt, there is a great possibility that there was an 'exodus' from Egypt involving those who did not want to switch from their matriarchal ways, to the newly introduced patriarchal ways.

I'm not Lutz, but that is wrong. As far as anyone has been able to determine ancient Egyptian religion prior to the Unification of the Two Lands under Narmer, as seen through predynastic art, the emphasis on the primary male deity seems well-established - usually the ithyphallic deity Min - known from the ancient settlements at Coptos.

This image from the Ashmolean Museum at Oxford, shows the predynastic statue of this deity found there. (Image 2 shows the Ashmolean's two predynastic Min statues in situ in the museum).

There has not been any credible evidence shown thus far indicating there was an earlier "matriarchal" society in ancient Egypt that a patriarchal society forced out/overcame. That is simply Blavatsky's wish/speculation, AFAICS.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: