Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OK language homework, help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Horus2
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: OK language homework, help Reply with quote

Hi, i have some kind of a homework to translate some texts from OK, but i am not very experiaced. Can you help me?

I have trouble understanding the second line, i get the words, but i am missing the whole. For example i am not shure is that mrrw, is a start of a new sentence or it is placed there for the nekropolis word, in the first line.

Also on the begining of the third line, we have Ddw, wich look like participle, but, can it be some kind of grammatical form, wich is an invitation to the reader, to pronounce the next words?

Also i am looking for translated, and commented similar texts that i can use for reference.

Thanks in advance! read2
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: OK language homework, help Reply with quote

Horus2 wrote:
Hi, i have some kind of a homework to translate some texts from OK, but i am not very experiaced. Can you help me?

I have trouble understanding the second line, i get the words, but i am missing the whole. For example i am not shure is that mrrw, is a start of a new sentence or it is placed there for the nekropolis word, in the first line.

Also on the begining of the third line, we have Ddw, wich look like participle, but, can it be some kind of grammatical form, wich is an invitation to the reader, to pronounce the next words?

Also i am looking for translated, and commented similar texts that i can use for reference.

Thanks in advance! read2

Good luck with the homework. I can only work out bits of the translation, so i am afraid i am little help. I would like to ask what programme was used to create your gyyphs? They look great, thanks

Stuart

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

Horus2
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used, Jsesh, you can find it here:
http://jsesh.qenherkhopeshef.org/
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horus2 wrote:
I used, Jsesh, you can find it here:
http://jsesh.qenherkhopeshef.org/

Thank you

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

Aset
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a nice example of the so called 'appeal to the living' formula.
The deceased, 'sole friend of the king' (title) and lector priest Meryre-nefer, calls upon future generation to maintain his funerary cult.
Meryre-nefer, aka Qar says:
'O the living upon the earth who may pass by this tomb in the necropole ... may they say: 'Bread, beer, ox and foul for the revered one...'
The first line contains an error sign. Instead of the bird here must be (or an abbreviated writing).
The other 'appeal to the living' by Qar is shorter (Serthe Urk. I):

Meryre-nefer's (Qar's) tomb is G 7101, located in the Eastern Cemetery at Giza, time periode 6th dynasty (Pepi I or later).
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aset wrote:
It's a nice example of the so called 'appeal to the living' formula.
The deceased, 'sole friend of the king' (title) and lector priest Meryre-nefer, calls upon future generation to maintain his funerary cult.
Meryre-nefer, aka Qar says:
'O the living upon the earth who may pass by this tomb in the necropole ... may they say: 'Bread, beer, ox and foul for the revered one...'
The first line contains an error sign. Instead of the bird here must be (or an abbreviated writing).
The other 'appeal to the living' by Qar is shorter (Serthe Urk. I):

Meryre-nefer's (Qar's) tomb is G 7101, located in the Eastern Cemetery at Giza, time periode 6th dynasty (Pepi I or later).

I have recently seen something like that, only with a few slight differences:'O ye living upon the earth who may pass by this tomb in the necropole ... may they say: 'Bread, beer, ox and fowl for the revered one...' ; are the two saying the same, or is one of them in error
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Homework Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: