Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the difference between Aksum,Nubia and Kush?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shtalk
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: What's the difference between Aksum,Nubia and Kush? Reply with quote

I was told that:

Aksum is in Northern ethiopia and the people were Semetic Ethio/Arabs

Kush was in Sudan and Egypt the people were Black

and Nubia was in Sudan and the people were Black

is that true?
free to try my latest free vob to wmv, any q, let me know
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kingdom of Axum spread through parts of Ethiopia and Sudan and I think may have covered some small part of the Arab peninsula. It seems that modern day scholars think that the kingdom originated as an African nation. So the founders would have been Africans not Arabs. The kingdom lasted for more than 800 years so the population would have included different people (including Arabs).

The Kingdom of Kush covered parts of southern Egypt and Sudan. The country existed for centuries so the boundaries would have shifted over time. Kush originated in North Sudan / Southern Egypt so the people would have been indigenous to that area (and thus black).

Nubia kind of coincides with the Kingdom of Kush. I have seen Kush referred to as Nubia as well.
Litmanen
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the term "Nubia" the scholars refer to a geographic estabilished concept: the whole area south of the I cataract 'til the VI one. Divided in:
"Lower Nubia" : from the I to the II Cataract
"Upper Nubia" From the II to more or less the V Cataract.
"Southern Nubia" from the V Cataract (more or less) to the Khartoum Area (excluded, cause there we are in the "Gezira").

With the term "Kush" you are not referring to a geographic area instead to a political subject. It is the "Kingdom of Kush", more or less to be positioned in the "Nubia" I have just explained, but that has stretched even all over the whole Egypt (the XXV Dinasty is a Kushite one). But, as someone as already told you, a political entity has a proper "life" and could change day-by-day.

Aksum: it is a city and Kingdom-name with that capital. Born in Ethiopia/Eritrea it has stretched, in its long history (from the II sec. a.C. till the post medieval period) even in the Arab Peninsula and in the Eastern Sudan, sometimes doing war with the Kingdom of Kush (while it was declining).

I hope this could be helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Nubia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: