Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looters destroy 2 pharaonic mummies
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Looters destroy 2 pharaonic mummies Reply with quote

I just noticed a post on facebook quoting a New York Times article

CAIRO (Reuters) - Looters broke into the Egyptian Museum during anti-government protests late Friday and destroyed two Pharaonic mummies, Egypt's top archaeologist told state television.

The museum in central Cairo, which has the world's biggest collection of Pharaonic antiquities, is adjacent to the headquarters of the ruling National Democratic Party that protesters had earlier set ablaze. Flames were seen still pouring out of the party headquarters early Saturday.

"I felt deeply sorry today when I came this morning to the Egyptian Museum and found that some had tried to raid the museum by force last night," Zahi Hawass, chairman of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, said Saturday.

"Egyptian citizens tried to prevent them and were joined by the tourism police, but some (looters) managed to enter from above and they destroyed two of the mummies," he said.

He added looters had also ransacked the ticket office.

The two-storey museum, built in 1902, houses tens of thousands of objects in its galleries and storerooms, including most of the King Tutankhamen collection.

Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Looters destroy 2 pharaonic mummies Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
I just noticed a post on facebook quoting a New York Times article

CAIRO (Reuters) - Looters broke into the Egyptian Museum during anti-government protests late Friday and destroyed two Pharaonic mummies, Egypt's top archaeologist told state television.

The museum in central Cairo, which has the world's biggest collection of Pharaonic antiquities, is adjacent to the headquarters of the ruling National Democratic Party that protesters had earlier set ablaze. Flames were seen still pouring out of the party headquarters early Saturday.

"I felt deeply sorry today when I came this morning to the Egyptian Museum and found that some had tried to raid the museum by force last night," Zahi Hawass, chairman of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, said Saturday.

"Egyptian citizens tried to prevent them and were joined by the tourism police, but some (looters) managed to enter from above and they destroyed two of the mummies," he said.

He added looters had also ransacked the ticket office.

The two-storey museum, built in 1902, houses tens of thousands of objects in its galleries and storerooms, including most of the King Tutankhamen collection.

This is a shame. If it hadn't been for those brave protestors who blocked the entrance of the museum until the army arrived this would have been much, much worse.
Granite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With such a source, it would be wise to await impartial confirmation before drawing any conclusions.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm glad it does not take on the same magnitude as for instance the Bagdad museum looting.

I have not heard anything about Alexandria though. There is a museum there as well. On EEF there was some mention of a fire there, but I have not been able to find any news outlet reporting that.

But as bad as it is if antiquities are harmed, it's nothing compared to the human story. Reuters has the death toll as high as 75 at this point. Other news outlets estimate the number lower (50+ Al-Jazeera, high thirties CNN) but still.
Granite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al-Jazeera has just shown a video of the inside of the museum, with smashed glass cases, artefacts srewn on the floor, and policemen dodging about with automatic weapons, as if they were still looking for looters. A bit odd...
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granite wrote:
Al-Jazeera has just shown a video of the inside of the museum, with smashed glass cases, artefacts srewn on the floor, and policemen dodging about with automatic weapons, as if they were still looking for looters. A bit odd...

We can only hope the A.E. artifacts stored in the museum of CaÔro arenít in danger. But with people who have nothingÖ
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that hope. But other reports say the looters were arrested by private citizens and the military, so maybe there was not as much damage as the video suggests.
On the subject of looting, reports are coming in of members of the state secret service being caught looting in different parts of the capital.
Granite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Museum authorities ay nothing has been stolen" , Al-Jazeera.
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granite wrote:
"Museum authorities ay nothing has been stolen" , Al-Jazeera.

If true (waiting on the aftermath of this) then that is good, however the destruction of the mummies is bad enough as it is; Oh and let me guess the security camera's were out of order at that moment

Richard, aka
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
Robson
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if they still want Nefertiti's bust back...
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robson wrote:

Oh, they probably want it back alright; to smash it to pieces... Sad

Richard, aka
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toth wrote:
Robson wrote:

Richard, aka

This is serious guys, nothing to joke about. As we in Dutch and probably also in English say, in war and love everything is allowed. It is a sad proverb.
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
Toth wrote:
Robson wrote:

Richard, aka

This is serious guys, nothing to joke about. As we in Dutch and probably also in English say, in war and love everything is allowed. It is a sad proverb.

And who says I am joking about it? I don place the "sad" smilie, this time I did!! If and when they catch these people they should treat them the same way as they treated the mummies; well Ranoferhotep, this may come as a surprise, but it is neither war, nor Love that caused this to happen. Oh and my comment on returning the bust of Nefertiti, take that for serious, will you? Because I have the impression that this is exactly what would happen to it in the current climate there.

Richard, aka
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully the army has things in hand now.

I was wondering about the part of the report that talked about someone who had gotten in from above? I don't remember the exact building so does this mean they got in through the roof? Via another building? I don't remember if any other building is close enough to jump roof to roof or not.

I was just puzzled by that part. Any thoughts?
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
Hopefully the army has things in hand now.

I was wondering about the part of the report that talked about someone who had gotten in from above? I don't remember the exact building so does this mean they got in through the roof? Via another building? I don't remember if any other building is close enough to jump roof to roof or not.

I was just puzzled by that part. Any thoughts?

I have more the impression that they stood by it and watched, see this:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/babylonbeyond/2011/01/egypt-antiquities-damaged-by-vandals-neighboring-building-collapse-feared.html

and of course who is tweeting the highest word in this article? Three guesses... Wow right at the first time... Right our "friend" Zahi Hawass, but I don't have the impression that they are doing something useful to protect their collection like bringing the artifacts to the vaults in the cellars, where they might be better protected against vandals!

just my

Richard, aka
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: