Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looters destroy 2 pharaonic mummies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it doesnt look like a royal mummy, but it is sad nonetheless, especially in 2011.
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styler78 wrote:
BROKEN MUMMY HEAD PHOTO:

NOT (IMO) Yuya or Tuyu, so tho is it? Is it even royal?
The preservation is MILES away from that of Yuya and Tuyu

Regards,
Stuart

Hello Stuart, whether or not it is Tuya, or Yuya, this is a horrible sight and no way to treat a mummy thousands of years old, I hope those who are responsible will be punished accordingly Exclamation Exclamation
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an up-date of the situation in Egypt from osirisnet:

http://www.osirisnet.net/news/n_01_11.htm
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toth wrote:
Styler78 wrote:
BROKEN MUMMY HEAD PHOTO:

NOT (IMO) Yuya or Tuyu, so tho is it? Is it even royal?
The preservation is MILES away from that of Yuya and Tuyu

Regards,
Stuart

Hello Stuart, whether or not it is Tuya, or Yuya, this is a horrible sight and no way to treat a mummy thousands of years old, I hope those who are responsible will be punished accordingly Exclamation Exclamation

We will probably hear when things get calmer, as far as I can see on the picture given here, the heads have no resemblance with Yuya nor Tuya. Yuya and Tuya are two of the most photographed and documented mummies.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not jump the gun and give full credit to all the alarming 'official' and 'first-hand' rumours until we start to get impartial, fully documented and independent reports on the damage done; also by whom; and also what steps had been taken to prevent the looting, since it was a fairly foreseeable consequence of the ongoing state of unrest in the country. We should also, as Anneke has pointed out, not lose sight of the other side of events - the deaths of over 100 people during the past week, and the impressive efforts by the Egyptian nation, including people from all walks of life, to rid themselves of a corrupt and oppressive government, which has lasted so long thanks to the support of Western governements and their allies. You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs, and if the price to pay for the emergence of a freer and fairer Egypt is the loss of or damage to a number of historical artefacts, then we will have to learn to live with that.
I have not had the good fortune to visit Egypt, but it seems there was fairly widespread knowledge among visitors of the corruption and privation of civil freedom prevalent there. I do not recall any noted Egyptologist commenting on the fact.
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But who is talking about making omelette's at a time like this? Over 100 people killed you say, Granite, and although every killed person is one too many and a price too high for this "omelette Égyptienne", the loss of artifacts (be they stolen, or destroyed) makes an already Hypothetical omelette Égyptienne priceless ( but not in the funny sense, but in the sad one).

I agree with you that we should inform our politicians to be more critical of dictatorships, and stop supporting them - in any way - and since the rest of the world comes hobbling along with the USA, perhaps they should - once again - take the lead, or do you think Spain can handle that role, Granite Question Question Question

Richard, aka
Sobek101
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm if the Looters were Egyptian (I assume they are) I'm suprised they'd do this to their own ancestors!
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Egyptians have been looting the sites since the days of the Pharaohs, so there's nothing new there.

And if there is money to be made (from the illegal antiquities market) then that is enough incentive for some.
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
The Egyptians have been looting the sites since the days of the Pharaohs, so there's nothing new there.

And if there is money to be made (from the illegal antiquities market) then that is enough incentive for some.

I agree with Anneke, although it must be said that this could happen everywhere where law and order have been disturbed!!

Richard, aka
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toth wrote:
anneke wrote:

I agree with Anneke, although it must be said that this could happen everywhere where law and order have been disturbed!!

Richard, aka

Oh definitely. This is sadly enough a human response.

I was actually very impressed with the response of those civilians that stood up to protect the Egyptian Museum. Those people truly understand the importance of these cultural and historical objects. There are many places where no one even stands up and says anything.

But the people doing the damage will probably vary from greedy to criminal to just plain opportunistic.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
" Those were our own people ... They are paid very poorly. I wrote the fingers crooked and asking for more money for these people. All for free. A security guard earns about 250 Egyptian Pounds, or 35 Euro a month. We have about 160 security guards plus several dozen police officers who are basically conscripts in police uniforms. These policemen earn even less. Again and again, these young fathers came to me. They have nothing. One has everything he had at home, sold, to get medicine for his sick child. Other hungry even at home. But the Egyptian ministry of culture - that celebrates itself with expensive projects and receptions. ... "

Wafaa el-Saddik, former Director of the Museum in Cairo, in an interview for German "Tagesspiegel" & "Zeit Online" (Martin Gehlen, Sunday, 30.01.2011, 13:51).

Greetings, Lutz.
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
Toth wrote:
anneke wrote:

Richard, aka

Oh definitely. This is sadly enough a human response.

I was actually very impressed with the response of those civilians that stood up to protect the Egyptian Museum. Those people truly understand the importance of these cultural and historical objects. There are many places where no one even stands up and says anything.

But the people doing the damage will probably vary from greedy to criminal to just plain opportunistic.

Sad, but true, and it shows clearly how civilized we - as a species - are; those people who stood in front of the museum and even caught looters, should receive a high medal! For "Heroism beyond their duty"

Richard, aka
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Lutz, that is a major problem. And incentive to take things.
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the sad, the wrong and bad side of the complete story.

By the way glad to hear from you Lutz. I was thinking whether you were in Egypt or not.
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
This is the sad, the wrong and bad side of the complete story.

By the way glad to hear from you Lutz. I was thinking whether you were in Egypt or not.

He could be, with a satellite phone; anyhow: good to hear from you Lutz, we still haven't heard from Priest of Hekat and Hekat from Luxor; I hope they are safe!

Richard, aka
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: