Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looters destroy 2 pharaonic mummies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CSM
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More destruction/looting at Abusir and Saqqara:

http://www.***/en/news/foreign-affairs/czech-egyptologist-ancient-egyptian-sites-damaged-during-unrest

Took this from another forum (unfortunately there is no link to cite the quotes):

Dutch team set to excavate at Saqqara in Feb 2011 have cancelled their season; the damage to the site is that extensive.

Egyptian Egyptologist Monica Hanna:

Quote:

“I am terribly sorry but here are the latest veriified news from my friend Hana Vymazalova: The commision with Mr. Kamal and Mohammad Megahed and others have been bravely checking Saqqara and Abusir today. Last report says Pepy I pyramid open, Djedkare’s pyramid open South Saqqara magazines open, They now proceed to Saqqara and Abusir. … Thanks to God all guards aliveand well (M. Barta) ”

Quote:

“All the sealed tombs were entered last night. Only the Imhotep Museum and the adjacent central magazines are currently protected by the military. Large gangs are digging day and night everywhere,”

Sarah H. Parcak, Assistant Professor at the Department of History and Anthropology at the University of Alabama at Birmingham:

Quote:

“Verified by Mohammad Megahed: Immense damages to Abusir and Saqqara, all magazines and tombs which were sealed were entered last night. Only Imhotep Museum and adjacent central magazines protected by the military. In Abusir all tombs opened. large gangs digging day and night everywhere.

The damage is *vast*”

According to Dr. Hawass, entire reliefs are missing from tombs at Saqqara.

The Supreme Council of Antiquities magazine at South Saqqara has been raided
CSM
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some additional information here:

http://www.talkingpyramids.com/pyramids-at-saqqara-abusir-broken-into/
Granite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posts on the EEF site this morning are much more positive. Although numerous items across the country have evidently been looted or destroyed, things are not as bad as first reports suggested.
There are, though, a few questions to be asked of the newly-appointed Egyptian minister of antiquities:
Why were all police, including tourist officers, withdrawn on Friday?
Why were known thugs released from jail, as had been done before during periods of civil unrest?
Why were the Egyptian Museum looters' faces apparently covered when they were filmed by the foreign press?
Why did several looters, when arrested, turn out to be policemen?
Above all, why was so little done to protect Egypt's much-vaunted historical treasures?
Those of us who have lived under dictatorships tend to think the worst in situations like this...
Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granite wrote:
Posts on the EEF site this morning are much more positive. Although numerous items across the country have evidently been looted or destroyed, things are not as bad as first reports suggested.
There are, though, a few questions to be asked of the newly-appointed Egyptian minister of antiquities:
Why were known thugs released from jail, as had been done before during periods of civil unrest?
Why were the Egyptian Museum looters' faces apparently covered when they were filmed by the foreign press?
Above all, why was so little done to protect Egypt's much-vaunted historical treasures?
Those of us who have lived under dictatorships tend to think the worst in situations like this...

I think we all know the answer. It's in the government's interest to create chaos so that ordinary people will beg for a resumption of order. That seems, from what I'm reading, to be the feelings of many people in Egypt.

From descriptions of well armed gangs with trucks raiding archaeological sites and warehouses, guys with guns on motorcycles tearing down residential streets to terrorize the population, you have to wonder how much of this is government MIHOP made it happen on purpose--or LIHOP--let it happen on purpose.

I have to admit I've been incredibly impressed with the vast majority of people in Egypt who are doing their best to preserve their country and their culture in the face of incredible odds.

They should be a lesson to us all.
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granite wrote:

Hello Granite,

I see a lot of justified questions, but what were the answers of this new miniter (Hawass Question Question Question Smile (I have to be careful in my "smilie use", Hawass might be crazy enough to demand the return of the Pharaoh smilies as well Laughing ) I am looking forward to see (at least some) answers to the questions you posted in your last post!

Richard, aka
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granite wrote:
Once a clown, always a clown
Well, I think he has shown some positive attitude in the last week or so; ands probably it soon will be known that he alone saved the country, at least on his web site. The rest of the (Egyptology) world may think different, but that might very well be his stance... ok coffee now and back to the news!

Richard, aka
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toth wrote:
... He could be, with a satellite phone; anyhow: good to hear from you Lutz, we still haven't heard from Priest of Hekat and Hekat from Luxor; I hope they are safe! ...

Not in Egypt at the moment (wish I could) ... Had a call by mobile yesterday with a friend, living on the West-Bank in Luxor for years now.

She lives in a small house among locals in Gabaui. In this district the people of Qurna have been relocated, it is about 30 minutes walk away from the Carter House, heading north.

The situation in Luxor seems, compared with other cities, relatively safe and quiet. A few days ago there were violent demonstrations and riots on the East-Bank, probably mainly on the road to Karnak Temple. The building of the State Party and the Mubarak Public Library was demolished / destroyed. The planed conference about Karnak Cachette probably not take place, but is to be made up.

There have been attempts to break in the excavation magazines of the Karnak Temple (there are also thousands of talatat stored). These were prevented by the residents and the security guards together. The temples and museums are now under military protection.

On the West-Bank, the situation is probably absolutely quiet and safe. The residents protect the tombs and temples, together with the military.

My friend feels absolutely secure. She has not heard about problems for other foreigners. A problem could be the provision with water (botteled) and foods. But so far everything is still available.

Mobile in Egypt is in parts not working. She is not able to reach friends in Cairo, for example. I had no problem to call here from Germany, 2nd try worked. The internet is still down, maybe thats why we do not read something from Luxor or Abydos here. But I would not be afraid ...

Greetings, Lutz.
Hathorhotep
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know whose mummies were destroyed? Of wich pharaohs?
Hathorhotep
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really in bad mood since this events. Sad I was on Olympiad this last week and I visited museum with mummies. I bought two little statues of Osiris, for myself and Horushotep, and also a model of silver sarcophagus wich I call "Khafra".
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hathorhotep wrote:
Do you know whose mummies were destroyed? Of wich pharaohs?

No, not yet.

Stuart

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

Priest of Hekat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
Toth wrote:
... He could be, with a satellite phone; anyhow: good to hear from you Lutz, we still haven't heard from Priest of Hekat and Hekat from Luxor; I hope they are safe! ...

Not in Egypt at the moment (wish I could) ... Had a call by mobile yesterday with a friend, living on the West-Bank in Luxor for years now.

She lives in a small house among locals in Gabaui. In this district the people of Qurna have been relocated, it is about 30 minutes walk away from the Carter House, heading north.

The situation in Luxor seems, compared with other cities, relatively safe and quiet. A few days ago there were violent demonstrations and riots on the East-Bank, probably mainly on the road to Karnak Temple. The building of the State Party and the Mubarak Public Library was demolished / destroyed. The planed conference about Karnak Cachette probably not take place, but is to be made up.

There have been attempts to break in the excavation magazines of the Karnak Temple (there are also thousands of talatat stored). These were prevented by the residents and the security guards together. The temples and museums are now under military protection.

On the West-Bank, the situation is probably absolutely quiet and safe. The residents protect the tombs and temples, together with the military.

My friend feels absolutely secure. She has not heard about problems for other foreigners. A problem could be the provision with water (botteled) and foods. But so far everything is still available.

Mobile in Egypt is in parts not working. She is not able to reach friends in Cairo, for example. I had no problem to call here from Germany, 2nd try worked. The internet is still down, maybe thats why we do not read something from Luxor or Abydos here. But I would not be afraid ...

Greetings, Lutz.

Lutz, we also have friends in Gabawy. The locals there are extremely protective of their European residents, as are own own friends here in Bairat.
Communications are pretty much back to normal here now so let us hope it remains that way.

I understood that the Susan Mubarak Library was attacked and the computers stolen but the other contents remained intact. I will endevour to check that soon.

We have an American friend who was half way through a 2 year study project on the people of New Gurna and their transition from Old Gurna.
Much to his displeasure his sponsors insisted he leave and return to America. He was really making progress developing a rappor with the people....all wasted now Sad

Sorry, hijacked the thread Embarassed
Granite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admire your faith in human nature, H. of K., but the head of state is ultimately responsible for what happens in their country - especially acts of violence carried out by security officers.
It is still not clear, by the way, what exactly happened inside the Museum.
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only in the Museum, Granite.
We are getting mixed reports.
According to HRH ZH, everything is o.k. (more or less) with no unrepairable damage to any objects.
According to osirisnet this morning, there is extrensive damage at Saqqerah, total distruction of the tomb of Maya, wet-nurse of Tutankhamen, and pillaging, looting and further damage at many other sites--which HRH ZH denies.
I'm not sure if we'll ever learn the actual extent of damage done.
Thankfully, the earlier report of the mummies of Tuya and Yuya was wrong; they seem to have survived.
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephaniep wrote:
I could not agree with you more.

I can't believe how the beautiful event that a people created out of love for their country and a desire for democracy has been destroyed by this creep Mubarak. All the fighting going on yesterday that was engineered by Mubarak thugs is awful. He can't go too soon. I have complained to all my congress people and Obama, which is totally ineffective, but what else is there to do?

Like you I find the silence about the egyptian museum troubling, but it is in keeping with silence on other troubling topics like DNA. One thing that worries me is that there are replicas of the Tut stuff that got broken (I am assuming from the fake Tut show going around the world) and if he would be unscrupulous enough to replace any broken/stolen objects with fakes to save face.

I fear that the two broken pieces of Tutankhamen are originals. The Tut exhibition with replica’s is planned to open in April in the Expo of Brussels

http://www.kingtutbrussels.be/
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osiris II wrote:
Not only in the Museum, Granite.
We are getting mixed reports.
According to HRH ZH, everything is o.k. (more or less) with no unrepairable damage to any objects.

I wish! But I fear Zahi is spinning like a top here. Sad

Quote:
According to osirisnet this morning, there is extrensive damage at Saqqerah, total distruction of the tomb of Maya, wet-nurse of Tutankhamen,

AHHHHHHHHHHHH Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Quote:
and pillaging, looting and further damage at many other sites--which HRH ZH denies.
I'm not sure if we'll ever learn the actual extent of damage done.
Thankfully, the earlier report of the mummies of Tuya and Yuya was wrong; they seem to have survived.

Thank God for small favors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: