Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Temple of Mentuhotep, Deir el Bahari

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Temple of Mentuhotep, Deir el Bahari Reply with quote

Moderator: I split this off from http://forum.egyptiandreams.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1742

Horus2 wrote:
Hi, i have made an image for Mentuhotep II mortary temple, it is a bit simplified.

original image http://www.xn--80ak3bk.net/dwnd_files/5.jpg

[Note from moderator: I had to reduce the size and repost. The original image is worth looking at for the amazing detail]

WOW ! ! !

I see you went for the Pyramid idea, rather than the flat roof idea. This looks wonderful. Be proud of yourself. Let me know if you decide to do Hatshepsut's (mortuary) Temple too

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
Wow, that is really well done. It is really nice to see these ancient monuments the way they would have looked when just finished.

Montuhotep's temple must have been quite impressive.

Indeed, it would have been. The reconstructions (on paper) vary a little, but it was nevertheless impressive. Looking at certain elements, you can see where Hatshepsut got some of her influences from (when building her own mortuary temple).

Stuart

Horus2
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Thanks, i am glad that you liked it. In fakt i had a new version of this image, but i can not find it now Smile
However this temple has been a lot more impressive than i look here, all of the pillars have been painted with scenes. Mybe also the walls have benn decorated.
Styler78, i have remove it this piramid at the end, a teacher of mine told me that there was some calculations about, that massive core at the center can not sustain the weight of a piramide on top of it. Whatever i like it more with the piramid Smile
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very impressive. Iíve seen recently a picture of the ruins of this temple, from a friend who visited Egypt, and in the midst of it there is are remains that looks like the core off a pyramid. All reconstruction drawings Iíve seen about this temple, are with a pyramid.

I will see if I can post his picture off it. First asking for his permission and Iíve to get it out a powerpoint file.
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horus2 wrote:
Smile Thanks, i am glad that you liked it. In fakt i had a new version of this image, but i can not find it now Smile
However this temple has been a lot more impressive than i look here, all of the pillars have been painted with scenes. Mybe also the walls have benn decorated.
Styler78, i have remove it this piramid at the end, a teacher of mine told me that there was some calculations about, that massive core at the center can not sustain the weight of a piramide on top of it. Whatever i like it more with the piramid Smile

I mentioned the pyramid due to the fact (as you have found) that there seems to be more people who agree with the temple not having the pyramid.

Nevertheless, it takes nothing away from the work you have done. Deir el Bahri as a temple complex is great to study and seeing models such as these helps people like me to see what would have been. Especially when we only have excavation reports to sift through. I applaud this. Further i would like to request a similar model- this time of Djeser Djeseru for Christmas please!!!!!! Wink

May i ask about the gardens on your model? I would like to know if they have been produced after negotiating excavation reports- or are they guesswork? Again- i ask due to my own studies and not to be picky.

Regards,
Stuart

Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is well known that the temple of Hatsjepsut had gardens, the irrigation channels and plant pits have been found back. Iím not sure but I think according an inscription, the Myrrh and other exotic trees Hatsjepsut brought back from here campaign to Punt were planted in front of the temple.

Underneath a picture of the current state of the temple of Mentuhotep I, in the middle the remains of the core of what probably was the pyramid. This is speculative, it could also have been the base of an obelisk, like we know from the sun temples of Sahure. In any case, I do think this central core was capable of holding a great weight, so the temple could have carried a pyramid or an obelisk.

The last picture is a reconstruction drawing showing also plantations. If you look closely at the first picture you still can see the plant holes in front of the temple, I canít see irrigation channels however, but I think we may assume there were also plantations in front of the temple. Whether they date from the time of Mentuhotep I itself, or were added later is open for discussion.

Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
It is well known that the temple of Hatsjepsut had gardens, the irrigation channels and plant pits have been found back. Iím not sure but I think according an inscription, the Myrrh and other exotic trees Hatsjepsut brought back from here campaign to Punt were planted in front of the temple.

Underneath a picture of the current state of the temple of Mentuhotep I, in the middle the remains of the core of what probably was the pyramid. This is speculative, it could also have been the base of an obelisk, like we know from the sun temples of Sahure. In any case, I do think this central core was capable of holding a great weight, so the temple could have carried a pyramid or an obelisk.

The last picture is a reconstruction drawing showing also plantations. If you look closely at the first picture you still can see the plant holes in front of the temple, I canít see irrigation channels however, but I think we may assume there were also plantations in front of the temple. Whether they date from the time of Mentuhotep I itself, or were added later is open for discussion.

Thanks for the info, RNH. I just wondered whether the model's gardens were created exactly as today's evidence suggests, or whether artistic license was used to some degree.

Thanks,
Stuart

Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some artistic degree was used, the grass fields do look a bit too much, I donít think they had that.

In any case they were extremely good gardeners.
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey i just see this topic Smile
Styler78-> Yes, but there is aways something remaining unclear and where we have to improvise. As Raferhotep sayed, you can see a huge digs into the rock just outside of the temple, and arcaeologyst sudjest that there have been plantet trees. So i thought to myself, well if theese guys have done all the rock diging job (Don't let the sand of the image to mislead you, it is a hard rock under it. ) to plant a trees, they would probably do a bit to plant a grass. Also we have an inscriptions of a AE temples, where the gardens infront of it are very much like jungle, and with grass Smile It is interesting to point that Mentuhotep II, send an expedition to Punt (fter the reunification of Egypt), and some of the gifts, that his opeople return with, was a fig-trees for his mortary temple. Also must be pointet that image i created and in the images showed from Ranoferhotep, we did not see the whole temple complex, there is one more building that was in direction of a Nile, and the whole area between the two temples was a garden, probably surounded with walls.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: