Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Da Vinci Code
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I thought it was really neat as well. I have no idea if it's true, but it seems to have been seriously considered in the 16th century.
It should be easy to figure out for modern archeologists if there was a temple of Isis in Paris at the time of the Romans. I would not be surprised at all if that were true.
I think the theory is interesting, and it even sounds plausible to me.

I had no idea that the Thames was called the Isis. I'm not aware of any other meaning of the word Isis. I have only heard it as the name of our famous Egyptian deity. Do you know how long the river has been referred to as the Isis?
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm afraid. But if you ever go to Oxford, you'll see the Thames referred to as the Isis, or that's what my mum told me when she went to see her friends there, and she told me it wasn't named after Isis...'it's just a name' she said. But I agree, there isn't anything else called Isis so I think it must be named after the goddess.

I'd love to know if any artefacts relating to isis have been found in the UK and France...
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to find out on google if they found anything related to those temples, but I can't find anything.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minutes after that I found:

The Temple of Isis

A temple to the great Egyptian goddess Isis was tantalizingly suggested by the discovery of an earthenware jug at Southwark on the opposite side of the Thames from the Londinium settlement, close to the line of the Watling Street through Cantium. This object was inscribed with the words LONDINI AD FANVM ISIDIS or "From London at the temple of Isis", and has been dated to the latter half of the second century. It was not until the mid-1970's that a Roman altarstone dedicated to the goddess was finally discovered (vide RIB 39b infra).
IN H D D M MARTIANNIVS PVLCHER V C LEG AVGG PRO PRAET TEMPLM ISIDIS C...TIS VETVSTATE COLLAPBSVM RESTITVI PRAECEPIT
"In tribute, a gift donated by Marcus Martiannius Pulcher, most honourable of men, pro-praetorian legate of the emperors, who restored this temple to Isis, which had collapsed through old age and lay in ruins."
(RIB 39b; altarstone; dated: c.3rd century; Britannia vii (1976), p.378-9, no.2)

from http://www.roman-britain.org/places/londinium.htm
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's supposed to be an altar of Isis displayed in the museum of london.

www.museum-london.org.uk/
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should check out the Museum of London next time...I knew they had Roman stuff but I've never been. I have been to Southwark though and I haven't seen anything Isis-y there. But the South bank is a really nice part of town.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That roman London website has a major mistake on it-it says Isis is a Syrian goddess!!!! Laughing
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you check out the museum, pease let us know what you found Very Happy

I was in London a little over a year ago, but didn't go to the museum of London...
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that the River Thames is called the Isis in Oxford, but that this is an abbreviation of the Latin name Thamesis.
So that seems to confirm what you said before.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was probably what my mum said it was from.

However...I saw somewhere that that name was also related to Isis as well...and if there's a temple of her's near the thames, well maybe...
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisinacrisis wrote:
That roman London website has a major mistake on it-it says Isis is a Syrian goddess!!!! Laughing

Yes, that's a rather glaring mistake, isn't it? Shocked
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisinacrisis wrote:
That was probably what my mum said it was from.

However...I saw somewhere that that name was also related to Isis as well...and if there's a temple of her's near the thames, well maybe...

I was wondering if the river was named something like Thamisis???
But I don't know if "tham" means anything in Latin.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is asmuch info as I could get:

"The origin of the name 'Thames' is not fully known. Before the Romans came it was called 'Tems' but the Romans latinised it and called it 'Tamesis'. Various names have appeared since then. The name 'Tamyse' was popular in Anglo-Saxon times but it has been known as 'Thames' since c.1600. When and why the 'h' was introduced is not known. It was once suggested that the Roman word 'Tamesis' derived from the joining of the word 'Isis', an alternative name used by some for the River above / around Oxford, and the 'Thame', the tributary that meets near Dorchester but there is no foundation for this idea. Most etymologists now appear to agree that the name 'Thames' is derived from the Sanskrit (ancient Indian) word 'Tamasa' meaning 'dark river' or 'dark water' and that the use of the word spread from India through the Celts to Britain.

"Whilst on the matter of the name of the River Thames, it is worth mentioning that the name 'Isis', which some people call the Thames above Oxford, appears to be quite facticious. It has no historical foundation. There is no record of the name in any early charter, it was not used by the Romans or Saxons and does not appear before the 14th century when it first appeared as 'Isa'. It seems it is a name conjured up by scribes in the 14th century for some unknown reason."

Are we officially totally off topic now? Laughing
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry...I have this habit of making others go off at tangents. lol

So my mum was right (for once!) maybe it has nothing to do with isis...oh well...

what about that stuff about Paris? Maybe that doesn't come from Isis either? Oh, that's just my sceptical side talking...

There is a book out which talks about 'Egyptian influences' on major cities round the world-like Paris, London, Rome etc...not sure how true it is but yeah. That's probably where the Isis in Paris and on the Thames ideas come from. I have a book about Isis which i bought ages ago, I haven't read it becuase I've been so busy. It mentions Isis's influences beyond Egypt though...maybe I'll find some answers in there.

How shall we 'bump' this thread back to it's original subject?
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ses bounds to the rescue of the topic Wink

Was really interesting the stuff you two got on Isis and on the Thames.

Isis wrote:
Quote:
I have a book which is like an 'unofficial guide' to the DVC. It says about Saint Sulpice that is was built in the Merovigian era (not sure when that was but I think it was medieval, and definetely older than 17th C!!) but documents claim that it was was built over a temple of Isis...and that a statue of Isis was worshipped as Virgin Mary until it was destroyed in 1514!

Most of the sites unconnected to DVC do date the start of this current church at 1646.
http://www.apartexchange.com/Guide_paris6_stsulpice.htm

Quote:
The first stone was laid in 1646 on the remains of an older and smaller church.

But the 'building over the remains of an older church' part is interesting.
The claim of Isis's connection to Mary isn't a new one, as we well know.

Going back to Nekhbet for a sec, and why I don't check up on these things I dont know Confused but Tour Egypt says:

Quote:
A temple of Nekhbet was built at Nekhb, along with the temple's birth house, smaller temples, the temple's sacred lake and some early cemeteries. It is possible that it was first built during the Early Period, but major building projects were started during the 18th Dynasty.

I'd never noticed a mention of any priestess of Nekhbet or read of this temple before.
To answer Isi's question about the name sesen - its a symbol of Upper Egypt, a pretty blue lotus with a yellow centre. Its a symbol of the sun, creation and rebirth. I love that - and the lotus is so prominent and well recognised.

Anneke wrote:
Quote:
Priestess of Hathor, Superior of the Harem of Min, dedicated to Maat, beloved of Seshat and Nekhbet.

Very Happy Thats sounds cool Anneke thanks for coming up with that - I really like it! Will go with that for my siggy, me thinks.
Poor Set will have to miss out this time hehe.

Laughing Now I'm getting off topic - oh dear....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: