Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Da Vinci Code
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: The Da Vinci Code Reply with quote

Has anyone else read this highly controversial, error ridden, yet hard- to- put- down book?

I don't mean to start an emotional, flaming, religous discussion - just interested if anyone else here has read and enjoyed or hated it.

It does mention bits on Egypt so I posted this here - not sure if it really belongs in open discussion or not.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I read it and found it hard to put down.
I found myself looking up the Da Vinci paintings to see them for myself.

It's interesting that the list of the heads of the Priory of Sion (if I remember it correctly) actually really exists. Not that that means something like this really happened Laughing , but an interesting factoid I think.
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anneke wrote:
Quote:
I found myself looking up the Da Vinci paintings to see them for myself.

Very Happy me too, lol. Found it really interesting taking a look at the paintings - something I hadn't really done before.
Thats one of the things I did like about the book. It made me find out what was 'truth' and what wasn't - regardless of what he claims as fact on the front page.

This site has some interesting comments on the book, and links for more info:

http://www.lisashea.com/hobbies/art/lastsupper.html
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting site. Very Happy

I guess I never assumed it was all true. There are some interesting questions raised by the book. (Like : why were some of the gnostic gospels kicked out of the bible? This one puzzles me.)
But the book is fiction I think Cool

I think I need to reread it, because I don't remember the references to Amon.
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think people do tend to forget that the book is fiction. Soon to be a movie also I notice.
There are too many wrong details in his research to take it all too seriously - but having said that, it does for me, raise interest in what he writes on womans place in history and also in the church.

It does seem to me that if there was a bloodline from Jesus and Mary that someone, somewhere, would have spilled the beans by now. People arn't THAT good at keeping secrets of that magnitude for such a long time!

The most startling mention of Amon is, he along with Isis, is Browns reason behind the Mona Lisa smile (Amon=Mona and Isis=Lisa).
Although the woman in the painting is generally named as Madonna Lisa, wife of Francesco di Bartolomeo del Giocondo.

On the gnostic gospels - dare we go there Anxious - personally I see the question of what to canonize and what to exclude (nothing like as many as the 80 scrolls that Brown mentions) as more a political move than a religious one.
Interestingly some of these texts were found at Akhmin
Papyrus Berolinensis 8502 contains Coptic editions of three very important Gnostic texts: the Apocryphon of John, the Sophia of Jesus Christ, and the Gospel of Mary.
Thirteen ancient codices were discovered, now known as the Nag Hammadi Library.
from http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/nhl.html
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved that book too...you lot have already said what I wanted to say. I know a lot of facts are controversial but it's a great book and it makes you wonder about religion and history. That bit about Amon Lisa made me smile Very Happy whether it is true or not. Makes me want to go to Paris again and see the paintings in the Louvre.

Apparenlty the Saint Sulpice church has put up a notice outside it's doors saying that 'it isn't the vestige of a pagan temple as claimed in the Da Vinci Code', which claims it was a temple of Isis. Is that possible that it could have been?

Where is Ahkmin, or where the gnositc gospels were found-is it in...Egypt?????? Very Happy
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and it's great to see you posting here again Ses Very Happy
Won't be long before Seg notices... Wink
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isis wrote:
Where is Ahkmin, or where the gnositc gospels were found-is it in...Egypt??????

Yes, it's the town associated with Queen Tiye and her parents Yuya and Tuya.
It's also the town where they have found the collosal statues of Queen/Princess Meryetamon the daughter of Ramses II and Nefertari, who became Queen to her father (after her mother died?)
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Sesen,

Just noticed that you were "promoted" to Priest(ess) Applause

LOL now you'll have to work on the priestly titles Laughing

Priestess of Hathor, Superior of the Harem of Min, ......

What else? Think
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks guys - I'll have to ask Kev to change me to Priestess - don't want people to get any new odd impressions of me Laughing .

Anneke wrote:
Quote:

Laughing Have to include my old fav Min in there! Would love to have included Maat but I guess I'll have to wait til I get to Vizier. Hathor is a fav goddess of mine....or Seshat (gotta love that leopard skin dress Cool ) she's a new interest...Nekhbet would go with my name Sesen, but she did'nt really have a priestess cult did she?
Think I prefer Hathor really...

Isis wrote:
Quote:
Apparenlty the Saint Sulpice church has put up a notice outside it's doors saying that 'it isn't the vestige of a pagan temple as claimed in the Da Vinci Code', which claims it was a temple of Isis. Is that possible that it could have been?

The church is a 17th century building, so seems quite unlikely that it has a direct link to Isis.
The guy with this site has some pics from places mentioned in the book - inside the church etc - 2 distant shots of Ramses oblisk.
http://www.davidphenry.com/Paris/da-Vinci-Code-Paris.htm

Seems the book has started its own mini tourist invasion of buildings and towns mentioned. One way of getting masses of people interested in history!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sesen wrote:
Very Happy Thanks guys - I'll have to ask Kev to change me to Priestess - don't want people to get any new odd impressions of me Laughing .

I think the avatar took care of that. Smile Unless you worry about being suspected of cross-dressing Wink

Sesen wrote:
Anneke wrote:
Quote:

Laughing Have to include my old fav Min in there! Would love to have included Maat but I guess I'll have to wait til I get to Vizier. Hathor is a fav goddess of mine....or Seshat (gotta love that leopard skin dress Cool ) she's a new interest...Nekhbet would go with my name Sesen, but she did'nt really have a priestess cult did she?
Think I prefer Hathor really...

I thought you would like Hathor Cool and Min just to make Seggie happy Twisted Evil

You can always include the other deities in the list by referring to them. And why let reality have a say in this? (Well, I didn't Smile)

Priestess of Hathor, Superior of the Harem of Min, dedicated to Maat, beloved of Seshat and Nekhbet.
(Just brainstorming here...)

"Devotee of Seshat" that would alow you to wear the leopard skin dress
Laughing

I had never thought about the fact that Nekhbet didn't have a priesthood. She is associated with the city of El-Kab right?
That's where Ahmose Son of Ebana and Ahmose Pennekhbet (early 18th dynasty) were from.
She is the vulture on the royal headdress and is a very old deity if I remember it right.

"Protectress in the name of Nekhbet" ? (Yeah, I know that's not historically correct but it seems to be in the spirit of things Smile)
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They now have got Da Vinci Code tours around Paris, around the louvre and all...but they are very expensive! Apparently Russell Crowe will be playing Robert Langdon, or Tom Hanks or George Clooney...I wonder who will play Sophie though?

Hehehe I knew you would say Min Laughing what about Set? You said you had a liking for him as well...I never knew Seshet wore leopard skin! What's the connection between Nekbeht and Sesen? In fact, what does your name mean Ses?

I have a book which is like an 'unofficial guide' to the DVC. It says about Saint Sulpice that is was built in the Merovigian era (not sure when that was but I think it was medieval, and definetely older than 17th C!!) but documents claim that it was was built over a temple of Isis...and that a statue of Isis was worshipped as Virgin Mary until it was destroyed in 1514!
Was that actually possible, to mistake a statue of Isis as Mary and revere it as Mary without realising it's pagan connotations? And could there really have been Isis temples in Paris?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a site here that deals with this
http://www.talismanthebook.com/articles/isisofparis.html
I have no idea if they are right or not, but it's interesting.

Quote:
In 1512, the French historian Lemaire de Belge reported that an idol of the goddess Isis had been worshipped in the Abbey of St. Germain-des-Pres in Paris . The same curious belief was also reported by contemporaries, notably Gilles Corrozet, the first historian to produce a comprehensive guide for the city. In 1550 Corrozet published a history of Paris titled Les Antiquitez, Histoire et Singularitez de Paris, in which he wrote:

“…coming to the imposition of the name (of Paris), it is said that there, where stands St. Germain-des-Pres was a temple of Isis of whom it is said was the wife of the great Osiris or Jupiter the Just. The statue (of Isis) having come in our times, of which we recall… This place is called the Temple of Isis and, for the nearby city, this was called Parisis… meaning near the temple of Isis.”

anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an article on CNN (by Jim Bittermann CNN Senior Correspondent)
http://***.com/2004/WORLD/europe/09/28/davinci.code/index.html

I don't know how long such links stay "alive", so I'll quote some of it.

Quote:
VILLETTE, France (CNN) -- It is a dark and stormy night. Yet at the Church of St. Sulpice in Paris, there isn't a single self-mutilating albino monk in sight.

Along the Grand Gallery of the Louvre, not even one dead curator sprawls on the museum's famous parquet floor.

And in the hayloft of a chateau outside Paris, the secret listening post just isn't there.

Yet even if they can't find all the details mentioned in the book, fans of "The Da Vinci Code" seem to have an insatiable need to link the fiction to reality -- especially at the Louvre, where the opening murder scene takes place.

Jacque le Roux, an art historian and Louvre tour guide, happily sets straight the implausibilities in the murder mystery -- including one in the first paragraph, where the victim is described as a 76-year-old curator.

Everyone knows the mandatory retirement age in France is 65, he says.

"The curator of the museum gets killed near the main gates of the gallery," le Roux says. "They say as well that he closes the security system with an iron gate. ... There is no iron gate but a wood door. It's the possibility that is fun for us to show during the tour."

Quote:
But across town at the Church of St. Sulpice, where the novel's mad monk uses a candle holder to murder a fictional nun, the church fathers are not so upbeat about the additional attention.

They felt obliged to put up a sign explaining that the brass strip running across the floor is not a pagan astronomical device and that, contrary to the narrative, no secret society spelled out its intitials on the church's stained glass.

"It says a lot of things that are not true, and I am annoyed that it says at the begining of the book that everything that is historic, cultural is accurate," says St. Sulpice historian Michel Rouge.

"Most are not true -- expecially about what it says about this church."

Some people view the book as an attack on Christianity itself.

The book supposes that Mary Magdaline was the lover if not wife of Jesus, that the couple had a child who founded a blood line of the kings of France, and that one of the fastest growing movements in the church, Opus Dei, is populated with plotters and assassins.

At the Opus Dei headquarters, scene of yet another murder in the novel, officials are not amused -- and have taken to inviting "Da Vinci Code" tourists in for damage control.

"It is of concern because although it's a novel and one doesn't want to overreact, it does have a pseudo-academic disguise, and therefore things that are presented as facts are unusually damaging," says Opus Dei spokesman Andrew Soane.

They also tallk about the house:
Quote:
At the Chateau de Villette near Paris, American owner Olivia Decker discovered months after "The Da Vinci Code" came out that her 185-acre property figures notably in the book.

And while up until now she has only rented the place out for a few high-end filmmakers and high-rolling tourists, she too is getting into "Da Vinci Code" tourism, sharing her 18-bedroom home with tourists for $55,000 a week.
She has already been contacted by a movie company planning to shoot a screen version of "The Da Vinci Code" in and around her chateau.

isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in that guide to DVC book of mine it said Saint Sulpice was built in or near the St Germain church-where the temple of Isis allegedly used to stand (according to the Priory)
I saw a similar article about DVC tourism in the paper...seems some people like the idea and others don't. Personally, I think it's great that people want to learn about history in this way (even if it is debatable history!!! Very Happy )

Paris is named after isis??? Whoa!! That's pretty cool...although I'm not sure if it's true or not. (There are two conflicting sides to my mind-one open minded side that wants to believe these things (especially if they refer to Isis or the Egyptian gods) and then my sceptical side says 'no way! This can't be right!') Laughing
If there really was Isis worship going on in Paris, it would possibly have happened in Roman times, I think. Apparently, there was an Isis temple in London too, and I even heard that the name of the river Thames is a name derived from Isis! (they actually do call the Thames the river 'Isis' in Oxford, although i'm not sure if it's named after the goddess or not.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: