Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Critical of Hawass?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to echo Herper. We don't know the facts, no one knows the facts, and in the absence of facts are left with speculation and conspiracy theories.
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kharis wrote:
I know that most people seem to dislike Dr Hawass deeply, but I for one am glad that he has been given responsibility for Antiquities, although it is not clear for how long he will hold that position, given the uncertainty.

Whatever one might think about his personal self-advertisement, he is at least a properly trained archaeologist and therefore best qualified to run the department, rather than a person parachuted in to bolster political support.

Yes, Kharis. Your own words echo my current thoughts. There is no better person to look after the antiquities. Clearly he has a passion and sometimes we see that he finds it very difficult to contain at times. He does care about Egypt's history and recent events will have hurt him deeply.

Stuart

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styler78 wrote:
Kharis wrote:
I know that most people seem to dislike Dr Hawass deeply, but I for one am glad that he has been given responsibility for Antiquities, although it is not clear for how long he will hold that position, given the uncertainty.

Whatever one might think about his personal self-advertisement, he is at least a properly trained archaeologist and therefore best qualified to run the department, rather than a person parachuted in to bolster political support.

Yes, Kharis. Your own words echo my current thoughts. There is no better person to look after the antiquities. Clearly he has a passion and sometimes we see that he finds it very difficult to contain at times. He does care about Egypt's history and recent events will have hurt him deeply.

Stuart

I second that. Still I have some doubt regarding foreign teams excavating in Egypt. Iím not completely aware about how everything works, but as far as I know, even in the past, Hawass could grant and stop excavations as he saw fit. I suppose in his current function, he is certainly able to do that.

I do think however, Hawass main concern is to protect the A.E. heritage, in whatever way possible. And I hope Iím right in that, which is the only thing that can set my mind at peace.
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toth wrote:
Toth wrote:
Granite wrote:
Posts on the EEF site this morning are much more positive. Although numerous items across the country have evidently been looted or destroyed, things are not as bad as first reports suggested.
There are, though, a few questions to be asked of the newly-appointed Egyptian minister of antiquities:
Why were all police, including tourist officers, withdrawn on Friday?
Why were known thugs released from jail, as had been done before during periods of civil unrest?
Why were the Egyptian Museum looters' faces apparently covered when they were filmed by the foreign press?
Why did several looters, when arrested, turn out to be policemen?
Above all, why was so little done to protect Egypt's much-vaunted historical treasures?
Those of us who have lived under dictatorships tend to think the worst in situations like this...

Hello Granite,

I see a lot of justified questions, but what were the answers of this new miniter (Hawass Question Question Question Smile (I have to be careful in my "smilie use", Hawass might be crazy enough to demand the return of the Pharaoh smilies as well Laughing ) I am looking forward to see (at least some) answers to the questions you posted in your last post!

Richard, aka

Megan Strong reports in her blog the following:

Dr Zahi Hawass was appointed Minister of Antiquities

Yesterday, Dr. Zahi Hawass was appointed as the Minister of Antiquities, a newly created department that will be charged with the care and protection of all Egyptian monuments and museums. This department will absorb the Supreme Council of Antiquities, and Dr. Zahi will continue excavating, writing books, and representing his country.

As Minister of Antiquities, is Zahi Hawass now on par with the Minister of Culture?

To whom does ZH report?

Thanks in advance.

waenre
Granite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zahi only answers his own questions.
He has a direct line to his protector, the President, and only bows to him.
For the members of the growing Zahi fan club, the following link may be interesting:
http://www.talkingpyramids.com/pyramids-at-saqqara-abusir-broken-into/#UD12
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granite wrote:
Zahi only answers his own questions.
He has a direct line to his protector, the President, and only bows to him.
For the members of the growing Zahi fan club, the following link may be interesting:
http://www.talkingpyramids.com/pyramids-at-saqqara-abusir-broken-into/#UD12

I do not have the Egyptological credibility/ experience,etc to doubt everything Dr ZH says. I am not alone.

Whilst expressions of doubt are healthy discussion, we must not vent everything at one person. We have to look at the broader picture and see the good and the bad in everything/ everyone. Otherwise all threads end in the same way- recycle bin material.

There are many "in the field" who could give first hand accounts of what happened, but they have to await permissions. Dr ZH is Egyptologies spokesperson. I make mistakes in my job and i am sure Dr H has that element also. Let us also see the good.

2 sides to every argument......

Wink Stuart

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
Granite wrote:
It is a fact that Hawass lied over the boat in the photo, as he has lied about so many other things in the past. He no longer merits our trust. If we can't say that here, then the forum is just a waste of time.

Please reread my post. I did not say that there is no room for criticism and questions. As a matter of fact I stated several times that that is appropriate. It is the derogatory tone and comments that I have a problem with.

And if Richard chooses to leave, I wish him well.

And, by the way, reading helps ... sometimes ... some.

The damaged model boat (Middle Kingdom) on the picture is nearly, but not over 4000 years old. So Hawass is not lying in this.

But he proves once again his lack of education. He disputes the fact that there are boats in the museum older than 4000 years. But there are, for example two from Dashur. Real boats, not "only" modells.

Greetings, Lutz.
Granite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'The damaged model boat (Middle Kingdom) on the picture is nearly, but not over 4000 years old. So Hawass is not lying in this.'
Exactly, Lutz!
Half-truths are the weapons of politicians and other self-servers. In many ways they are worse than outright lies, at least in my book.
Granite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a nice picture of our friend Zahi in yesterday's Ahram Online (accessible via 'Egyptology News'), haranguing SCA workers demonstrating for decent wages. I was glad to see he had plenty of secret police guarding him. We wouldn't like anything unpleasant to happen to him.
Priest of Hekat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm? As a newly appointed minister of the outgoing regime Hawass now finds himself out of a job! I wonder who will take over?
Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Priest of Hekat wrote:
Hmm? As a newly appointed minister of the outgoing regime Hawass now finds himself out of a job! I wonder who will take over?

It seems to me he's taken care to say some nice things about the revolutionaries--I wouldn't be surprised if he stays in office.
Granite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Hope springs eternal in the human breast'.
Now Hosni has been kicked out, it wouldn't be very logical for his minion to hang on. And fortunately there are many qualified SERIOUS Egyptologists in the country.
Granite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the cabinet has been disbanded, so ZH is now officially on the dole.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This update is interesting
Hawass blog about restorations

I have no idea what on earth his confusion re the boat was, but it is on the page as one of the objects that needs to be repaired. Could be semantics.

The work on the statues seems to be proceeding. It seems like the panther part is being put back together.
It is very sad that this happened and the restorations are necessary. It does make some of these items even more tightly connected to the history if Egypt. Not only is the panther/king statue now associated with an ancient pharaoh and will always be connected to Tutankhamen, it will likely also continue to be connected to the revolution of 2011.
Granite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrible news.
Now his protector has been kicked out, ZH reveals the true extent of the damage and robbery carried out in the Egyptian Museum. Priceless pieces lost...but how come they hadn't noticed it before? This gives us the measure of the man.
(See EEF or Zahi's website).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: