Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Critical of Hawass?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
kevininabydos wrote:
Unfortunately true Kharis. But like the presidency who will replace him, anyone who thinks he is not a part of the old regime and all it stood for is mistaken. By that I refer to the suppression of information, silencing of opponents, repression of rivals. As and when he hopefully goes will be a good day for Egyptology and with luck will lead to a more open and honest profession, one not controlled by an egotistical despot.

And who should replace him? Who is capable to protect, defend, and to bring A.E. in to the spotlights. Hawass may sometimes come over like a fool. He has a degree in Egyptology, and as far as I know he keeps the spotlights on A.E. heritage.

He is capable IMO. And I think on a positive note he has contributed a lot. There are new museums being built. Egyptology is slowly but surely incorporating new scientific tools (such as DNA analysis). These are not without fits and starts, but that is to be expected. And during his tenure Egyptian archaeologists have become better trained. And he manages to keep Egypt in the spotlight with his collaborations with National geographic and Discovery. Those collaborations have also provided funding.

Ranoferhotep wrote:
That it took some time to figure out what was precisely missing is normal I think. We mustn’t forget that the Egyptian Museum of Cairo contains a few thousand objects on display.

I honestly cannot hold anything that happened in the last several weeks against him. But that is my personal opinion.

Ranoferhotep wrote:
It is very easy for us to spawn critic from behind our computer in our lazy chair. I’m not a fan of Hawass, but I do give him credit. IMHO I truly believe this man is heartbroken now.

I agree with that. And there are parts about his leadership I do not like. Often they are tied closely to some things I do like.

He micromanages too much for instance. I think that is seen as being a "despot", but I have seen that before with administrators. This is really not unique to Hawass. Such people believe that their role is to be closely involved with all aspects of the work done. This often causes resentment on the part of people who are involved in the work. And that is clearly evident here as well.

I understand his drive for making documentaries. It brings in money. It also creates a situation where things are sensationalized and soundbites are created. That leads to some questionable products (I think at least). Not easy to say what any successor will decide to do though. There is money involved and raising money is a big deal to any administrator like Hawass.

I am sure any successor will be different, but I have never seen any administrator who was not criticized at some point. And usually quite severely too. I'm fairly certain anyone coming after him will also be seen as "flawed". As the saying goes: "high trees catch a lot of wind", and he certainly made himself a high tree.

Ranoferhotep wrote:
I hope the international community will support Egypt, and especially the construction of the GEM, which will hopefully be a better housing to keep and preserve Egypt’s ancient artifacts.

I suspect they will support Egypt as much as possible. The teams from around the world working in Egypt have a serious interest in preserving as much as possible as well.
Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The timing on this announcement is sort of interesting. While it could be a coincidence, is it possible that Hawass was not free to make this announcement untill after the fall of the Mubarak regime?

Hawass make a blanket statement that nothing of importance had been stolen from the museum and then had to eat his words when he got more information. I don't suppose that was an easy thing to do.

It was a crazy situation for the past two weeks there. I'm not going to point fingers at the man like some keyboard curator.
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naunacht wrote:
The timing on this announcement is sort of interesting. While it could be a coincidence, is it possible that Hawass was not free to make this announcement untill after the fall of the Mubarak regime?

Hawass make a blanket statement that nothing of importance had been stolen from the museum and then had to eat his words when he got more information. I don't suppose that was an easy thing to do.

It was a crazy situation for the past two weeks there. I'm not going to point fingers at the man like some keyboard curator.

This could be very well possible. Some of us are pointing fingers to him, but we weren’t there. We have absolutely no idea of what happened, besides the news we gather from different news sites and other internet forum or blogs. From what I have read, I conclude he was a protégé of Mubarak. I don’t think he had at the time much options than to accept the post of minister. And probably for his own sake had to spread news that wasn’t entirely correct. And as I said before, the museum holds thousands of objects, to make an inventory of that takes time. I can know I work as an warehouse keeper, my company stores also a few thousand objects, believe me it takes me a week to make an inventory when asked. I must say that his reports on his blog strikes me, he even apologized for not giving direct information, it is the first time (as far as I know) he does that. One could say Hawass only thinks about himself and will do whatever it takes to survive, but doesn’t account that for all of us. But besides that, he wants to protect A.E. heritage, and will do whatever there has to be done to make sure A.E. artifacts keep safe.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been protests & calls for his resignation by archaeologists and archaeology students outside the SCA today.

There was a phone interview with him on Al Jazeera & she was asking him whether he would resign in view of the protests, claims that he had been part of the old regime & had a very close alliance to Suzanne Mubarak. He totally lost it, shouting at the interviewer that he was not political (despite his speech in support of Mubarak) & hung up Shocked
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that update!

That does not look good for him then. I wonder how many individuals will lose positions for their associations with the previous regime. And how many will be able to hang on despite that.

I think he answers directly to the military council as the minister of antiquity now. I suspect he will not go voluntarily. Not sure if the military leaders will "throw him under the bus" (as the saying goes). I don't think he has a military background, so not much protection from buddies there I suspect?
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In resent video footage from Hawass, after the protests, shot in his office, you still can see the picture of Mubarak, hanging on the wall. Now, without wanting to make any assumptions, I do find this a bit odd, but…he could also be very negligible about something like that.
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Hawass Reply with quote

Please read what a credible insider has to say :
Open letter to Prof. Zahi Hawass by Dr. (Mr.) Hany Hanna (Ph. D)
-Chief Conservator, General Director of Conservation, Helwan, El-Saf and Atfeh Sector, Supreme Council of Antiquities (SCA), Egypt.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=194125333948639&id=100001619152479
If facebook is not attainable for you:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/manna4u/5433945436/
Greetings
Granite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting interview with ZH on CNN:
http://cnn.com/video/?%2Fvideo%2Fworld%2F2011%2F02%2F15%2Fegypt.missing.antique.***
Another morsel!!
The goddess carrying Tutankhamen has turned up, but minus passenger. It would br nicer to know where and how...
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Hawass Reply with quote

Cairoinfo4u wrote:
Please read what a credible insider has to say :
Open letter to Prof. Zahi Hawass by Dr. (Mr.) Hany Hanna (Ph. D)
-Chief Conservator, General Director of Conservation, Helwan, El-Saf and Atfeh Sector, Supreme Council of Antiquities (SCA), Egypt.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=194125333948639&id=100001619152479
If facebook is not attainable for you:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/manna4u/5433945436/
Greetings

Great job, cairoinfo4u, what a revealing piece of writing!

Most shocking of all next to the allegations of corruption is to me the allegation of exclusion of the real experts in favour of corrupt unqualified individuals.

I think that just as Egypt could not have been reformed with Mubarak in office the SCA or Ministry of Antiquities needs another boss to undergo profound changes.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so surprised to see charges of corruption and nepotism in a system such as they had. Egypt was a police state after all, and one keeps hearing that the army has economical interests (up to 30% of the overall economy?) That's a situation where corruption and nepotism find a fertile breeding ground.

I think it's great that with more openness they can have discussions going. I hope they can find a way to modernize the system and make sure that experts are used where appropriate. I hope ZH is smart enough to step up to the plate. That seems to be what Hanna is asking for.
Hekat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand & a lighter note there are the supporters..... maybe Laughing

http://www.egyptastic.co.uk/_48.html
Granite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest update from Al Ahram:
Ap/ inside the halls of the egyptian musem

Ap/Tutankhamun's golden maskAp/ inside the halls of the egyptian musemToday at the second floor of the Egyptian museum in Tahrir Square dozens of journalists, TV presenters and photographers gathered before the golden mask of the 18th dynasty king Tutankhamun. They came here upon the invitation of Zahi Hawass, Minister of State for Antiquities Affairs in order to photograph Tutankhamun’s golden mask which some news agencies claimed its disappearance.

Hawass told reporters that a part of the gilded wooden statue of a goddess carrying king Tutankhamun has been found. It was found underneath a showcase on the corridor linking Tutankhamun’s collection hall to the one of his father King Akhenaten.

Two days ago the museum’s staff found three objects that were looted from the museum. These are the heart shaped blue felspar amulet of Tutankhamun’s grand grandfather Yuya and one of his ushabti figurine as well as a part of a wooden New Kindom sarcophagus.
Priest of Hekat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Hawass' tenure as the top man in Egyptian Egyptology.

It must be remembered that he had reached the normal age for retirement within the SCA. He was given a special governmental post to allow him to stay on for as long as he wanted about a year ago. If he losses his position as Minister for Antiquities (a new post created for him by Mubarak) then he would probably be retired anyway.
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was posted this morning, Feb. 17, 2011:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/02/16/egypts-indiana-jones-center-archaeology-uproar/?test=faces
freeTinker
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and this was posted too...

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/brad_angelina_battle_over_money/celebrity/70194

For all the vitriol directed at Hawass it needs to be considered that, whatever personal sentiments towards the man, he is in a position to contribute much to AE and the rebirthing Nation of Egypt...

Much of the problems in the country are economic, and tourism is a big factor, it will take time to bring folks back, and when they return the industry will require good management

Whatever everyone's thoughts about the man, he can serve as a face of PR and is a valuable asset
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: