Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Picture of a bust of Akhenaten
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Picture of a bust of Akhenaten Reply with quote

I like this picture of Akhenaten. The khepresh crown is nicely made. No details or embellishments on the crown or the collar.
I wonder if it was meant to be painted.
Granite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, too, Anneke, but could you give us the relevant details? i.e.provenance, material, any inscriptions, studies carried out on it, where it is displayed and so on. It certainly looks rather different from other known representations of Akhenaten - much younger and softer.
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bust of Akhenaton on Anneke's picture is on display in the Louvre museum.

The bust is H. : 59 cm. ; L. : 48 cm.
Museum number : E 11076
For more pictures of the bust see : http://www.bluetravelguide.com/oeuvre/photo_ME0000039496.html
Granite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a million, Rozette
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone find out where it was found?
I tried to find out on the Louvre website but I didn`t manage even to get a picture of the bust.

The face looks so young and still untainted by the bizarre art-style that popped up so early in Akhenaten`s reign that I guess it must be one of the earliest pieces made after he became king.
Therefore my guess would be that it was found somewhere in Karnak/Thebes rather than in Amarna.

It is striking how delicate and pleasant his features are except for the long protruding chin which somewhat looks as if it wanted to pull his head downwards (if viewed from the side).

If this chin really was his personal trademark as it seems to have been then I think that KV55 with his short chin can never be Akhenaten (sorry, don`t want to turn round the discussion, couldn`t help to say that!).
Granite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get several pictures on Flickr on Google by typing in 'Louvre E 11076'.
There appears to be a reference to it in Porter & Moss, volume IV, p. 234. Has anybody got access to that?
stephaniep
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is another nice source for Louvre art: Most images have several views.

http://www.worldvisitguide.com/salle/MS00135.html
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granite wrote:
... Louvre E 11076 ... a reference to it in Porter & Moss, volume IV, p. 234. Has anybody got access to that?

BERTHA PORTER AND ROSALIND L. B. MOSS : TOPOGRAPHICAL BIBLIOGRAPHY OF ANCIENT EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPHIC TEXTS, RELIEFS, AND PAINTINGS - IV. LOWER AND MIDDLE EGYPT (Delta and Cairo to Asyut). - OXFORD : AT THE CLARENDON PRESS, 1934 :

Quote:
"... Model bust of Amenophis IV, perhaps from house of sculptor Dhutmosi (cf. supra p. 202), in Louvre E. 11076, Borchardt, op. cit. in Mitteil. d. Deutsch. Or. Gesell. Oct. 1913, No. 52, pl. 4 [left]; Benedite, A props d'un buste egyptien recemment acquis [&c.] in Monuments Piot, xiii, pls. i, ii, cf. pp. 1-27 ; id. Les Antiquites Egyptiennes au Musee du Louvre in Gazette des Beaux Arts, xxxvi (1906), plate opposite p. 364; Maspero, Egyptian Art, plate opposite p. 134; Boreux, Guide-Catalogue Sommaire, ii (1932), pl. lxi, cf. pp. 447-9; id. L'Art Egyptien, pl. xxxviii; Steindorff, Die Bliitezeit des Pharaonenreichs (1926), p. 162, Abb. 153; id. Die blaue Königskrone in A.Z. liii, p. 62, Abb. 7; Weigall, op. cit. 195; Curtius, Die Antike Kunst, p. 168, Abb. 127. ..."

Greetings, Lutz.
Granite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merci, mon cher
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanls, Lutz.
Does the rather vague "perhaps from house of sculptor Dhutmosi" mean that it has definitely been found in Amarna?

I would be really surprised.
ma spero
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the free university of Brussels, it does come from Amarna :

http://bib18.ulb.ac.be/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/shu003&CISOPTR=386&CISOBOX=1&REC=13

Indeed, the face looks very young, but it seems to me that the realistic and delicate style of the bust is more evocative of the final part of Akhenaton's reign.
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ma spero wrote:
According to the free university of Brussels, it does come from Amarna :

http://bib18.ulb.ac.be/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/shu003&CISOPTR=386&CISOBOX=1&REC=13

Indeed, the face looks very young, but it seems to me that the realistic and delicate style of the bust is more evocative of the final part of Akhenaton's reign.

According to the site the bust should be placed at the end of his reign?
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As, so far as I know, there is no inscription on the bust, it doesn't really look like any other known portrait of Akhenaten, but looks very juvenile,despite probably belonging to a late date in his reign (why would Thutmose keep it in his workshop for 17 years?), we should not discount the possibility that it might actually be Smenkhkare. The same applies to the statue on the other thread - Statue: Who is it? on Pharaohs and Queens.
The mouth, by the way, is not unlike that on Stephaniep's Queen Tiye (?) face.
While we're at it, welcome back Akhenaten. First you were there (but knocked about a bit), then you were gone, then back again, then gone once more, and finally back with us, retrieved from the rubbish (or will you be off on your travels again?).
Neteria
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This statue is known as the "Jeune Akhenaton" from the Louvre.
The kingly garb being worn, from a time when his father was still alive and active, would indicate that a co-regency had been already established.
The youthful looks are probably not all that uncommon if this was a new King to be worshipped as such.
I'm sorry that I cannot post the other youthful image I have (which has a more careful finish), but it was originally posted here by somebody (in "Evidence from Amarna") about last July 1st, if that helps.
I stored it with an attached label that reads: "A-young-Kestner_Mus", which somebody may find meaningful.
This portrait of Akhenaten looks just as young as the Louvre's and he is also wearing the Khepresh, so there must have been a series of "the new king" official portraits with the blue helmet.
However, the center-front of the Khepresh is hollow and devoid of any royal symbols, which were probably lost in later movements.
It does look as if the two pieces (head and hat) were sculpted separately, and the helmet seems to fit only so far into the head. Maybe there was originally a different headress (possibly a sidelock?) attached to his Amarnan "tubular" cranium. This two-part composition is not possible in the one-piece Louvre bust favoured by Anneke in this thread.
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can we tell if this was originally, or intended to be, a full length statue? or was it always a bust like nefertiti?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: