Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cocaine mummies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axenabdw
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: cocaine mummies Reply with quote

Hi there.A friend of mine was telling me about something I've never heard anything about,and I thought I knew a bit about AE.
That is cocaine mummies.Reading very briefly part of the piece on one website,cocaine and signs of tobacco were found on ancient mummies,including that of Ramses II.As far as they believed,it wasnt known until the time of Sir Walter raleigh(probably spelt that wrong).
And came orriginally from the Andes.Looking at the website there has been a CH4 documentary about this,and my friend was supprised when I said I had not heard about it.
Is this a commonly known thing,and is there much evidence to support it.
Thanks all Very Happy
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: cocaine mummies Reply with quote

Axenabdw wrote:
Hi there.A friend of mine was telling me about something I've never heard anything about,and I thought I knew a bit about AE.
That is cocaine mummies.Reading very briefly part of the piece on one website,cocaine and signs of tobacco were found on ancient mummies,including that of Ramses II.As far as they believed,it wasnt known until the time of Sir Walter raleigh(probably spelt that wrong).
And came orriginally from the Andes.Looking at the website there has been a CH4 documentary about this,and my friend was supprised when I said I had not heard about it.
Is this a commonly known thing,and is there much evidence to support it.
Thanks all Very Happy

I have seen arguements for both sides. Those who do not believe the AE were drug- addled folk will say that the traces are indicative of contamination. Those who think otherwise believe that trade routes were so much better than we have previously assumed and that Cocaine/ Cannabis exports were possible.

From my own experience, its best to look at both sides of the coin. You should easily find the information you need online, but as a starting point:

Channel 4 - http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-mystery-of-the-cocaine-mummies

Another site - http://www.faculty.ucr.edu/~legneref/ethnic/mummy.htm

These are 2 of MANY sites dedicated to this subject.

Stuart

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a very good article about that in the encyclopedia of the German " Agyptologie-Forum ". Written by Dr. Karl Leser (Iufaa) in 2007, with further references and a link to an article by Samuel A. Wells:

Ägyptologie-Forum ---> Lexikon ---> Tabak

Greetings, Lutz.
Axenabdw
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks all for your replies.I shall read a bit more up on it,when I get the time,and keep an open mind,obviously concentrating on the known facts.
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
There is a very good article about that in the encyclopedia of the German " Agyptologie-Forum ". Written by Dr. Karl Leser (Iufaa) in 2007, with further references and a link to an article by Samuel A. Wells:

Ägyptologie-Forum ---> Lexikon ---> Tabak

Greetings, Lutz.

Thanks Lutz.

Stuart

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting, In the Andean culture the people use coca leaves to blow their prayers into. The Andean people say that Mary was the first to blow her prayers into the coca leaves. This shows that coca might have been used since a long time ago. Maybe the reason why the mummy was in the presence of those two plants. It is interesting to know that the plant was available for the Egyptians.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dzama923 wrote:
This is interesting, In the Andean culture the people use coca leaves to blow their prayers into. ...

Coca leaves are chewed and not smoked. You probably confuse this with tobacco. They keep awake and reduce the feeling of hunger and are consumed (chewed) for these reasons by the inhabitants of Central and South America still today.

dzama923 wrote:
... The Andean people say that Mary was the first to blow her prayers into the coca leaves. This shows that coca might have been used since a long time ago. ...

This shows nothing, except perhaps that these people have much imagination... That chewing coca leaves has a long tradition among the ancient cultures of Middle America is long known from archeological search.

dzama923 wrote:
... Maybe the reason why the mummy was in the presence of those two plants. It is interesting to know that the plant was available for the Egyptians.

The cocain found in the mummies discussed here in this thread is singular and could not be confirmed in other such investigations in other laboratories, from other mummy collections. Cocain was legal in use in the 19th and early 20th century, and was very popular among the members of the upper class of Europe and America. And exactly these people were the first ones to go to Egypt as tourists and also brought mummies as souvenirs. A secondary impurity appears therefore rather than likely.

In the meantime an African plant was identified which contains the active substance nicotine. So, no Egyptian mummy had to come in contact with American tobacco plants to contain nicotine. See the linked articles in my post from Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:22 pm.
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I am not confusing them with smoked substances. They really use them as a prayer ritual, holding them in their hand praying into them, and blowing out and releasing them into the wind. The leaves are carried in the wind and carry their prayer to the Earth.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cocaine leaves are a traditional sacrifice of the ancient andes peoples to their gods. Therefore it is no wonder this tradition, among many others, has also been preserved in there "version / interpretation" of Christian religion.
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but they are Coca leaves. Cocaine is the extracted form of the chemical in the coca leaf.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I meant the leaves of the coca plant. We can lead the discussion gladly in German ....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mummification All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: