Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

zahi hawass steps down
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aus Der Box Skeptisch
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: zahi hawass steps down Reply with quote

I'm going to miss zahi hawass. Not his biggest fan as far as his t.v. Personality but as an egyptologist he was a great man. You don't know what you got till it's gone!

I am surprised this hasn't been posted yet

Thank you, Aus
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: zahi hawass steps down Reply with quote

Aus Der Box Skeptisch wrote:
I'm going to miss zahi hawass. Not his biggest fan as far as his t.v. Personality but as an egyptologist he was a great man. You don't know what you got till it's gone!

I am surprised this hasn't been posted yet

With allegations of corruption, we will still see more of Dr Hawass in the near future. I am sure that further books will be forthcoming- maybe even a "warts and all" documentary or book.

Your comment on the "personality" is echoed by me and i add that as an Egyptologist, his knowledge is possibly unsurpassed. It is time for a change and maybe these cards were dealt some time ago.

We may see (or not) someone taking over whose comments are more balanced and can move the world of Egyptology to the next level.

Even a committee of people ather than one man making all the decisions is what is needed, but in time we will know.

Stuart

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: zahi hawass steps down Reply with quote

... but as an egyptologist he was a great man. ...

Oh yeah? Why?

... I am surprised this hasn't been posted yet

See Egyptian Dreams Forum Index ---> General Discussion ---> Critical of Hawass? .

Lutz
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sad to see him go (if he really does go, he has not officially resigned yet). And the fact that he (hopefully) leaves does not make him any better.

What with all his bossiness, his lies during the revolution about the state of artifacts and sites and allegations like these,
http://bikyamasr.com/wordpress/?p=27371
(link was already given in the general discussion thread)

I do think it was about time for him to quit.
I am aware that the allegations are unverified and made anonymously, but even if only half of them are true it is evident that Hawass thouroughly and shamelessly abused his position and power.

His knowledge is probably about the same as any egyptologist`s with a degree.
I am confident that there is a worthy successor out there, one who under Hawass never had the chance to make him/herself known to the public.
Let`s hope for the best.
Calypsos
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any truth to allegation of steeling Antiquities?

===========

March 3, 2011, 1:25 PM
Egyptian Antiquities Chief Says He Will Resign
By KATE TAYLOR
12:09 p.m. | Updated Zahi Hawass, Egypt’s antiquities minister, said in a telephone interview on Friday that while he is planning to resign he had not yet and still holds the post. He clarified his status after an ArtsBeat report on Thursday said he had already stepped down.

After Egypt’s prime minister resigned on Thursday and the army asked his replacement to form a caretaker cabinet, Mr. Hawass, a powerful and controversial figure, said he would not be part of the new government. His comments came after he posted on his Web site for the first time a list of dozens of sites that have been looted since the beginning of the uprising that led to the fall of President Hosni Mubarak.

Reached by telephone on Thursday Mr. Hawass said he was happy that he had made the “right decision” and lashed out at colleagues who have criticized him, including one who has accused him of smuggling antiquities.

Among the places Mr. Hawass named as having been looted were the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s storerooms at its excavation site in Dahshur, south of Cairo. In a statement the Met’s director, Thomas P. Campbell, described that incident as having taken place several weeks ago.

Mr. Campbell expressed alarm about continuing looting, calling it “a grave and tragic emergency.” In a statement, which was issued before Mr. Hawass’s resignation was confirmed, he said:

“The world cannot sit by and permit unchecked anarchy to jeopardize the cultural heritage of one of the world’s oldest, greatest and most inspiring civilizations. We echo the voices of all concerned citizens of the globe in imploring Egypt’s new government authorities, in building the nation’s future, to protect its precious past. Action needs to be taken immediately.”
Aus Der Box Skeptisch
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: zahi hawass steps down Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:

Oh yeah? Why?

See Egyptian Dreams Forum Index ---> General Discussion ---> Critical of Hawass? .

Lutz

You know I am not sure who you are or how important you are here but I am going to tell you I do not answer one liner posts looking to argue. Why not put a little substance into your post if you are addressing me. I do not mean to sound matter of fact but I found your post rude and argumentative in nature.
Nice to meet you too!

Thank you, Aus
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: zahi hawass steps down Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:

Oh yeah? Why?

Lutz

... I am going to tell you I do not answer one liner posts looking to argue.

Sad news: You have just done it.

... Why not put a little substance into your post

I return this question with pleasure to you.

... I found your post rude and argumentative in nature. ...

We have all our sad stories...

Lutz
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to unlock the thread as there is still enough going on.

See: http://www.drhawass.com/blog/why-dr-hawass-resigned
for his POV
Calypsos
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted the resignation article over on Misc Egyptian---since general is supposed to be non egyptian. You might want to consolidate them.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calypsos wrote:
I posted the resignation article over on Misc Egyptian---since general is supposed to be non egyptian. You might want to consolidate them.

Merging two threads is not one of the options. At least not that I have seen.

And Miscellaneous is for "Anything relating to ancient Egypt not covered in the other categories". So the general section is actually the right place for this Very Happy
Calypsos
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
Calypsos wrote:

Merging two threads is not one of the options. At least not that I have seen.

And Miscellaneous is for "Anything relating to ancient Egypt not covered in the other categories". So the general section is actually the right place for this Very Happy

I'm sorry I thought general was for anything non egyptian.

I'll move it over here and you can delete it over there.
Granite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Report in Al-Ahram in English on pro-Zahi demonstrations by SCA staff in key heritage sites.
Granite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, from the same paper:

"Recently appointed Egyptian Prime Minister, Essam Sharaf, announces some of the names to be included in his new cabinet, still subject to confirmation by the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces. Members of the new cabinet are due to deliver their oaths of office before Field Marshal Mohamed Tantawi Monday.

Sharaf’s choices for ministers for the transitional Egyptian government:

Fayza Aboul Naga, Minister of International Cooperation
Atef Abdel Hamid, Minister of Transportation
Ibrahim Manaa, Minister of Civil Aviation
Fathy El-Baradei, Minister of Housing
Sayed Meshel, Minister of Military Industries
Samir Sayad, Minister of Industry and Internal Trade
Gouda Abdel Khalek, Minister of Social Solidarity
Mohsen Al-Noomany, Minister for National Development
Maged George, Minister of Environment
Ashraf Hatem, Minister of Health
Hassan Younis, Minister of Electricity
Mounir Fakhry Abdel Nour, Minister of Tourism
Emad Abou Ghazy, Minister of Culture
Ahmed El-Brens, Minister of Labour and Migration
Mansour El-Issawy, Minister of Interior
Hussein El-Atfy, Minister of Water Resources and Irrigation

Moreover, Sharaf met yesterday with other key people he’s considering, such as Yehia El-Gamal for deputy prime minister, Samir Radwan for minister of finance, Amr Ezzat Salama for minister of education and research and Ahmed Gamal El-Din Moussa for minister of education.

Sharaf is preparing to meet with Mohamed Abdallah El-Gendy for the ministry of justice and Abdallah El-Husseiny for the ministry of religious affairs and Nabil El-Arabi for the ministry of foreign affairs.

The list, if approved, would go into effect after a Wednesday military council meeting."
Granite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More interesting details at:
http://paul-barford.blogspot.com/2011/03/dr-emad-abu-ghazi-replacemt-for-hawass.html
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sounds weird to me. he doesn't seem the type to resign, and so quickly or determined. he claims people have made a mockery of him, and thats one reason he's quitting, but he made a mockery of himself, and people have always been saying the same things about him. he claims another reason is there is not enough police. i think there is pressure from the government to resign. thats the only way it makes sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: