Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Treasure
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
olia
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: Treasure Reply with quote

I read a book about the Sphinx and the stars and when the person aligned the stars to the sphinx it showed where the chamber was. The chamber of treasure with all the papyrus scrolls. lol
It also said that underneath the sphinx there could have been a passage way from the pyramids to the sphinx with water, kind of like the solar boat.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some new articles on touregypt about this topic:
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/secretchambers3.htm

This one is the 3rd in a collection
"The Search for Hidden Chambers on the Giza Plateau, Part III
In Search of the Hall of Records by Allen Winston "

I haven't had time to read it myself, but the articles on touregypt are usually quite good.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "waterway" you mentioned reminds me of the tomb of Osiris.
This is a structure found on the Giza plateau.
I know we have discussed it before, but I can't remember what forum it's in.
Here's a link that describes the structure and gives a floorplan:
http://www.towers-online.co.uk/pages/shaftos2.htm
olia
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh thanks for all the new information! Smile
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years ago--I think it was 2001--a portion of the shoulder fell off, clearly showing that the Sphinx needed reconstruction work.
Hawass, being in charge of work on the Giza Plateau, Mark Lehrner and a group of workmen undertook a project to reconstruct and examine closely the Sphinx and its surroundings. Massive efforts were made to find any evidence of tunnels, "hidden" rooms or any secret chambers underneath the Sphinx. Soundings were made with the latest equipment, and a tunnel was discovered. This was open and proved to go no-where--it ending in a blank wall. They found a newspaper dating from the '20's and an old shoe, showing that the tunnel had been opened before.
The conclusion was finally reached that there is NO chambers, rooms, tunnels or any other man-made excavations in or around the Sphinx.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The conclusion was finally reached that there is NO chambers, rooms, tunnels or any other man-made excavations in or around the Sphinx

Careful, Osiris II, you're apt to anger the multitudes of Pyramidiots out there. You could always give them the old newspaper and shoe so they wouldn't leave entirely empty handed.

I don't buy into the "secret chambers" below the Sphinx. Wishful thinking. You'd be surprised how many people genuinely believe the secret knowledge of the ancients is still squirreled away below the Sphinx.
olia
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that people believe the whole thing because it sounds interesting and what's wrong with being a Pyramidiot!!!
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beg to differ, olia. "Sounding interesting" is no reason to believe something that has been proven, time and time again, to be wrong. You ask what's wrong with being a Pyramididiot? That's one of the many reasons.
It used to be just a referrence to pyramids--how were they constructed? (Aliens) What was their purpose? (take your pick--launching pad, arrow pointed to the stars, grain stoage--the list goes on and on) it was any outlandish teory about the pyramids. But now, it's come to mean all nut case thinking about any subject to do with the AE.
It question accepted belief in a very good trait--many usful, truthful facts have been discovered this way. But far-out belief--such as mystical statis of all AE, supernatual beings,first monotheists, etc. etc. does NOTHING to further known facts. Too bad such furvor cannot be channeled into more useful knowledge.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few exceptions to alternative theories that i actually agree on, they are:
The idea that the Egyptians were very much into astronomy, their religion had a lot of cosmic aspects (I mean, you can't deny their veneration (is that the right word?) of Sirius and so on...) and their temples may have aligned with the sun and the stars (maybe the pyramids too-very disputed but at least it's less far fetched than aliens!!!!)
The another, more controversial theory is that Egyptian religion may have influenced, dare I say it, Judeo Christian religion.

I thougth Akhenaten was a 'monotheist'? He certainly shunned the worship of other gods in quite a forceful, even tyrannical fashion. But I don't think he was Moses like some people claim...
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

olia wrote:
Quote:
I'd say that people believe the whole thing because it sounds interesting and what's wrong with being a Pyramidiot!!!

I'll point you back to what Osiris II penned because I agree wholeheartedly with everything he said. There's nothing inherently wrong with being a Pyramidiot if one is among his or her like-minded peers and discussing fringe theories, but such people should never expect to be taken seriously by the legitimate scholars, historians, and scientists who have labored for so many years to bring us to the level of understaning at which we now stand. And as long as the theories of Pyramidiots are not accepted by legitimate researchers, their theories shall never be more than so much invisible vapor in the wind.

What is harmful is when intelligent and well-spoken crackpots like Robert Schoch gain an international podium to voice their fringe notions (the Discovery Channel is particularly guilty of this, as much as I enjoy this channel). Then, when they spout their nonsense, they may negatively influence well-intentioned people who may have a sincere interest in ancient Egypt but haven't studied long enough to know any better, and then buy into it. Another generation of crackpots is hatched!

As I like to say, why go to great lengths to search out fanciful and unlikely theories when enough evidence exists to explain the facts before us?

isisinacrisis wrote:
Quote:
There are a few exceptions to alternative theories that i actually agree on, they are:

I don't think anything in your list really qualifies as "alternative" because the items in your list reflect credible history. The Egyptians were most certainly big into cosmic aspects and astronomy, and many (if not most) of their temples are indeed precisely aligned with the cardinal directions. There's no mistaking it.

One might argue against the influence on Judeo-Christian religion, but the more I myself study this, the clearer it is to me that current theory has it correct: the religion of ancient Egypt did indeed have profound influences on Judeo-Christianity.

Quote:
I thougth Akhenaten was a 'monotheist'?

I think this is sometimes overplayed in the literature. Akhenaten wasn't a pure monotheist. He favored the Aten above all other deities and of course did close down the temples dedicated to Amun, as well as vanquishing other popular deities such as Osiris and Isis and Anubis. But he never suppressed the great god Re--for the simple reason that the Aten was a manifestation of Re (a rather minor one until Amunhotep III promoted Atenism, well before Akhenaten). So as long as the deity was solar-related, it stood a better chance of surviving the heretic's religious purges.

Visit my blog!
Claire
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: passageways or chambers in the sphinx Reply with quote

faroah I think that there is avery good chance of there being chambers beneath the sphinx and i also think there is a good chance that there are passageways connecting the sphinx to the pyramid as the sphinx was put there for a reason in front the pyramids, and it was probably built around the same century as the pyramids and possibly built by khufu who most people believe built the great pyramid. Also there are chambers and passageways in the pyramids so why can't there be any in the sphinx??
Jason Patterson
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think that there is avery good chance of there being chambers beneath the sphinx and i also think there is a good chance that there are passageways connecting the sphinx to the pyramid as the sphinx was put there for a reason in front the pyramids, and it was probably built around the same century as the pyramids and possibly built by khufu who most people believe built the great pyramid. Also there are chambers and passageways in the pyramids so why can't there be any in the sphinx??

Well if there were chambers then we would have found them by now don't you think. If there were chambers, be it symbolic like the Tomb of Osiris, created out of caves inside the plateau, or not we would have detected them with the equipment. As for passage ways, I do remember an article that there was a tunnel found by Mark Lehnar that lead to the Great Pyramid, but nothing else was found, but don't quote me on that.

But if there are chambers and passageways, what is the purpose for them?

Your best hope of finding some kind of chamber is a possible new chamber in the Great Pyramid. Gantenbrink's project detected a door that was opened and found a small "chamber" that had another door in it, so we will just have to wait to see if they find another door or a chamber with Khufu stashed away.
Claire
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well if there were chambers then we would have found them by now don't you think. If there were chambers, be it symbolic like the Tomb of Osiris, created out of caves inside the plateau, or not we would have detected them with the equipment. As for passage ways, I do remember an article that there was a tunnel found by Mark Lehnar that lead to the Great Pyramid, but nothing else was found, but don't quote me on that.

But if there are chambers and passageways, what is the purpose for them?

Your best hope of finding some kind of chamber is a possible new chamber in the Great Pyramid. Gantenbrink's project detected a door that was opened and found a small "chamber" that had another door in it, so we will just have to wait to see if they find another door or a chamber with Khufu stashed away.

What do you think about the possible existance of a 'hall of records' underneath the sphinx???
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of this talk about this "hall of records" was started by the psychic Edgar Cayce and he seems to have predicted it's location to be in the right shoulder of the Sphinx (?).
There is no indication there is anything located in the right shoulder, nor do I personally put much stock in the predictions of psychics.

So personally I think the chances are somewhere between 'slim' and 'none' Smile
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Edgar Cayce, now he was a pyramidiot! He thought the Egyptians came from Disney Land-in fact, i think he started the whole Disney Land theory business. (sorry for being a snappy sceptic!)

Does the tomb of Osiris really belong to the god himself??? Was there a body found inside the tomb? or is it symbolic?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Sphinx All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: