Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Treasure
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisinacrisis wrote:
Quote:
Oh, Edgar Cayce, now he was a pyramidiot! He thought the Egyptians came from Disney Land-in fact, i think he started the whole Disney Land theory business. (sorry for being a snappy sceptic!)

Wasn't Cayce a hoot? What a crackpot, but an intelligent and interesting man nonetheless. He's the one who forwarded the belief that the Atlantians had developed lasers and nuclear energy and all that silly folderol. There's one for every generation. Mad

Quote:
Does the tomb of Osiris really belong to the god himself??? Was there a body found inside the tomb? or is it symbolic?

Are you referring to the tomb the ancient Egyptians believed belonged to Osiris? In the Abydos necropolis are the remains of the tomb of the 1st Dynasty pharaoh Djer, and this is what the Egyptians believed was the tomb of Osiris--it was a popular notion by the Middle Kingdom. King Djer had been dead for nearly a thousand years by then, so it's not surprising that the identity of this tomb's owner was lost by then, but I myself don't know why they fixed such importance to this particular tomb. It surely helped to build upon the power and splendor of the Osiris cult at Abydos, though.

anneke wrote:

Quote:
There is no indication there is anything located in the right shoulder, nor do I personally put much stock in the predictions of psychics.

Funny, I always pictured you visiting Gypsy mind readers with crystal balls. JUST KIDDING! Very Happy I'm glad to hear you say that, though.

The area around the Great Sphinx has been extensively examined and probed by very sophisticated and complex equipment, and there are no secrect chambers there. A few crevices and pockets, yes, but a vast cavern stacked with papyri and the knowledge of the ancients...I think not.

Such a place did exist, though. It was the Great Library of Alexandria, founded by Ptolemaios I Soter in the Greek Period. Once again fact wins over fantasy.

Visit my blog!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning the tomb of Osiris:

There's also the Osiris Shaft: http://www.guardians.net/hawass/osiris1.htm

Quote:
The Osiris Shaft is located under the causeway of Khafre, and it is about 25 feet deep. In ancient times people used the water-filled shaft as a swimming-hole, and even to the present day many people, including archaeologists, have entered the shaft. For centuries, however, the meaning of the Osiris Shaft has escaped even the most learned scholars.

I don't know what this place was at all but Hawass mentions finding soming there in excavations:

Quote:
I looked down into the water and saw the -remains of four pillars surrounded by a wall. Inside them was part of a large, granite sarcophagus with the lid thrown off.

There's a possibility that this was referred to as Osiris' tomb?

Quote:
It is known that the Giza plateau was called "pr wsir nb rstaw", or "the house of Osiris, Lord of Rastaw." "Rastaw" refers to the underground tunnels, and most likely the name of the plateau reflects the tunnels inside the Osiris Shaft. The final chamber we found was most likely a symbolic tomb for the god Osiris; he was believed to control the underground tunnels and tombs of the kings.

Quote:
Funny, I always pictured you visiting Gypsy mind readers with crystal balls. JUST KIDDING!

LOL I enjoy reading about psychics and their predictions, but I definitely consider it amusing fiction Wink
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your web link reminded me that this was a television special on the History Channel or Discovery Channel or one of those. A fascinating tomb structure. It's laced with numerous niches and crevices on the way down in which later people were buried, and archaeologists had long known about it but couldn't enter very far until just recently because of the falling water table under the Plateau.

I think the theory of the Osiris connection was developed from the Osiris cenotaph of Seti I at Abydos, due to its watery recesses far underground. This was a very interesting TV special. I would love to see it again.

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Sphinx All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: