Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looting the Great Pyramid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unas
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject: Looting the Great Pyramid Reply with quote

I was thinking today about Khufu's pyramid, and its first robbers. Assuming that the King and Queen's chambers were packed with goodies (like Tut, only better), how on earth do you transport all of those treasures down that narrow, winding passageway to the descending passageway and out? Okay, so some of the treasures are small, but what about the larger items? Do you break things into pieces?

Also--how do you even find the entrance to begin with? If you're the first robber, then all of the casing stones must still been in place. Do you just tell your gang to start pulling off tiles and hope for the best? This seems impossible, even without guards.

Could the first looters have been the descendents of a pyramid construction worker, who knew where the door was and passed this information down to his children? Or members of the royal administration, who might have had access to a papyrus or plan describing the pyramid's layout?

Just having some fun trying to work out the details. Smile
ReginaSekhmet
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, from what I've read most 'ancient' grave robbers were the architects themselves, or their relatives. Which makes sense to me, they had the perfect oppurtunity to design weaker spots in the wall, where they could easily break through.

Anyone remembers that myth (I forgot what it's called) with two brothers who tried to raid a pharao's treasure house? One of them got injured... I forgot the rest! :C
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was some time (already a long time ago) a discussion whether there were architects involved in construction of the pyramids. And I believe there were, you canít construct such structures without expertise in building, mathematics and supervision. The entrances were known, to a small group of confidentials, but as always , confidential knowledge tends to leak, see Wikileaks.
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Looting the Great Pyramid Reply with quote

Unas wrote:
I was thinking today about Khufu's pyramid, and its first robbers. Assuming that the King and Queen's chambers were packed with goodies (like Tut, only better), how on earth do you transport all of those treasures down that narrow, winding passageway to the descending passageway and out? Okay, so some of the treasures are small, but what about the larger items? Do you break things into pieces?

Also--how do you even find the entrance to begin with? If you're the first robber, then all of the casing stones must still been in place. Do you just tell your gang to start pulling off tiles and hope for the best? This seems impossible, even without guards.

Could the first looters have been the descendents of a pyramid construction worker, who knew where the door was and passed this information down to his children? Or members of the royal administration, who might have had access to a papyrus or plan describing the pyramid's layout?

Just having some fun trying to work out the details. Smile

I've seen nor read not a single piece of solid evidence that convinces me the pyramids were intended to serve as tombs or that a royal body was ever once interred inside one.
Charly
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ra-Mont wrote:

Quote:
I've seen nor read not a single piece of solid evidence that convinces me the pyramids were intended to serve as tombs or that a royal body was ever once interred inside one.

Although most pyramids were robbed (partialy or completely), there is still enough evidence left to indentify them as tombs. A few pyramids still contained human remains from the original burial; best example I'm aware of are the remains of 5th dyn king Djedkare Isesi, found in his pyramid and C14 dated. Even when the body is missing the architecture leaves no doubt about the function of the pyramid; just like mastabas pyramids contain internal and/or subterran passages and chambers with porticuli and blocking stones. In most cases the burial chamber still contains a sarcophagus (or the remains of one).
Let's not forget that the pyramid evolved from the mastaba, the first pyramid ever; Djoser's, was initially a mastaba...
All this is solid enough imho.
Besides, if not tombs what would the pyramids have been? And where would all these kings have been burried if not in the pyramid-complexes bearing their name?
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that the actual rooms inside the Great Pyramid would not be large enough, of of sufficiant quanity, to hold "vast treasure" that is associated with a king's burial, I think that we may assume grave goods were in adjacent buildings, or temple storage.
In the subject of the original invasion of the pyramid, it seems most likely that the planners, or the actual construction workers, were in cahoots with the robbers. As has been said, when the pyramid was in it's first finished state, with all of the casing stone intact, it would be a daunting task to discover even the original entry.
Unas
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osiris II wrote:
Considering that the actual rooms inside the Great Pyramid would not be large enough, of of sufficiant quanity, to hold "vast treasure" that is associated with a king's burial, I think that we may assume grave goods were in adjacent buildings, or temple storage.
In the subject of the original invasion of the pyramid, it seems most likely that the planners, or the actual construction workers, were in cahoots with the robbers. As has been said, when the pyramid was in it's first finished state, with all of the casing stone intact, it would be a daunting task to discover even the original entry.

Good point, Orsiris II. Treasure in adjacent buildings makes sense, especially considering Khufu's boat which was buried in the sand outside. However, there must have been some treasure inside the pyramid, otherwise, why break in? Perhaps the same individuals who knew where the entrance was also knew the value of the items hidden inside.

I like to imagine the 'queen's chamber' stuffed to the ceiling with wonderful riches...

Smile
kevininabydos
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose if you consider an especially designed rock-cut chamber lined in dressed slabs and roofed with stone beams "buried in the sand"..... anything could be possible.
There were 5 boat pits beside the great pyramid [one still contains an unexcavated boat] and there are another 2 by the Queens pyramid. You might find this interesting: http://www.ancientegyptonline.co.uk/great-pyramid-complex.html
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imho opinion there can be no discussion about the meaning of the pyramids, not only in a few some remains were found, but we have also the pyramid texts, whose explain for what the building was constructed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: