Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monkey figures of royal family

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Monkey figures of royal family Reply with quote

I have found that Amarna-related fiction often mentions figurines of groups of monkeys, depicted in a very tasteless and satiric manner and by sporting royal headgear recognizable as Akhenaten, Nefertiti and their daughters.

I do not remember though having come across them in non-fictional literature, and I found nothing on the net either (my search was admittedly rather quick though).

Does anyone know if such figures actually exist and if there are pictures?
kevininabydos
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a satirical papyrus where animals take the place of humans but I cannot recall which museum it is in, it could be London or Berlin.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Monkey figures of royal family Reply with quote

Sothis wrote:
... Amarna ... figurines of groups of monkeys, ... Does anyone know if such figures actually exist and if there are pictures?

Bosse-Griffiths, Kate : Two Lute-players of the Amarna Era. - In: Amarna studies and other selected papers. - Freiburg (Schweiz) / Göttingen : Univ. Press / Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, 2001. - Orbis Biblicus et Orientalis - OBO - 182. - pp. 64-81, on page 68 :

Quote:
"... A little monkey stands behind her and takes hold of her bead-girdle. One might be tempted to connect this with the little monkey on the ring-bezel, and with the numerous figures of playful monkeys which have been discovered in private houses at El-Amarna. These have been interpreted either as caricatures of human behaviour or as mere toys. Brunner-Traut has pointed out that as early as the Old Kingdom dancers and musicians were shown in the company of monkeys who played the part of comic entertainers. It seems, therefore, that there is no need to look for a deeper meaning. ..."

For pictures go to : UCL MUSEUMS & COLLECTIONS - PETRIE MUSEUM CATALOGUE.

Search ---> "monkey" ---> 93 results.

Greetings, Lutz.
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

There are certainly a lot of monkey figures in the database provided by Lutz, but I could find nothing that would show any signs of royal attributes.

It seems those suspicious monkey group sculptures are more a product of the vivid imagination of storywriters than based on real finds.

Hasn`t anyone else come across the groce monkeys yet?

The last and most recent time I read about them was in Pauline Gedge`s "Pharaoh". Although she uses some outdated theories in her book, it is generally well researched and I wonder how she mentioned a thing like that which is not backed up by archaeology.

But then it could be just an author`s liberty to do so....
Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's really difficult--if not impossible--to detect satirical intent in the minds of people who lived so long ago and whose culture was so different from ours. Most of us can't even look at a political cartoon that's just a few years old and remember why we thought it was so funny back when the issue it illustrates was hot and fresh in our minds.

It may that the intent of some of these figures was satirical but we'll probably never know for sure. As for the lack of royal attributes--I don't think if I was someone living in Armana I'd really risk putting a crown on a depiction of a monkey. I doubt the authorities would find it so funny.

And of course sometimes a monkey is just a monkey.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: