Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question re Tey, Aye's wife
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waenre
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Question re Tey, Aye's wife Reply with quote

I just finished reading Jacobus van Dijk's "Horemheb and the struggle for the throne of Tutankhamun", BACE 7 (1996) 29-42.

When discussing Tey (wife of Aye), he states, "In the reliefs and inscriptions in Ay's rock tomb her position is virtually on par with that of her husband; she is one of only two women in Egyptian history to join her husband in receiving the 'Gold of Honour', a high royal honour which in almost all known instances is awarded to men on their own."

Does anyone know the identity of the other woman who also received the "Gold of Honour", along with her husband?

Thanks in advance.

waenre
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Question re Tey, Aye's wife Reply with quote

waenre wrote:
... Jacobus van Dijk's "Horemheb and the struggle for the throne of Tutankhamun", BACE 7 (1996) 29-42. ... Tey (wife of Aye) ... she is one of only two women in Egyptian history to join her husband in receiving the 'Gold of Honour' ... Does anyone know the identity of the other woman who also received the "Gold of Honour", along with her husband? ...

In rudimentary obtained tomb treasure of Queen Ahotep (17th Dynasty), mother of King Ahmose I. (founder of the 18th Dynasty), there was a shebiu-collar. So we can presume that she has received "The gold of honor". A representation is not known to me.

As far as I remember Anchsunamun is wearing also a (double ?) shebiu-collar on the Small Golden Shrine (Cairo JE 61481 ; Carter-No.: 108) from the tomb of Tutanchamun.

Greetings, Lutz.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the other woman mentioned here is Maia, the wetnurse of King Tutankhamen. She is depicted wearing a shebiu collar in the famous scene where she holds the king on her lap.

See: http://forum.egyptiandreams.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=51094
Robson
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Question re Tey, Aye's wife Reply with quote

waenre wrote:

Does anyone know the identity of the other woman who also received the "Gold of Honour", along with her husband?

Maybe Lady Merytre, along with his husband the Chief Scribe of Amun Neferhotep. In their tomb (TT49) Neferhotep is shown being rewarded by the king (Aye?) and Merytre by the queen (Tey?), possibly as an echo from the Atenian cult.
kevininabydos
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, that's 4. Seems not to be such a rare honour. Wink
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 known honours in 3,000 years of history? id say thats an honour lol even if they were all within 300 years.
Robson
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just included a double (husband-wife) rewarding, just like Aye/Tey's.
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
I think the other woman mentioned here is Maia, the wetnurse of King Tutankhamen. She is depicted wearing a shebiu collar in the famous scene where she holds the king on her lap.

See: http://forum.egyptiandreams.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=51094

The question for me is :if someone merely wears or possesses a shebiu collar , does this necessairily mean that she or he was rewarded with it by the king?
Was this the only way of getting hold of a shebiu collar? And what was so special about them apart from that they were apparently made from gold?

Currently I`d rather stick with Robson`s example of Lady Merytre because she seems to be actually depicted receiving the gold of honour.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I mentioned Maia is because it's actually mentioned in Zivie's book about Saqqara: The lost tombs of Saqqara
By Alain-Pierre Zivie, Patrick Chapuis

The scene in TT 49 mentions an "reward scene" but to my knowledge there is no mention of a shebiu colllar being awarded to Merytre. Porter and Moss for instance only mention that Merytre receives rewards form the Queen in the royal harim. I have always wondered about that scene and if someone knows more details of the scene I would be interested in hearing about it!

The only other reference to a shebiu-like collar is from a 17th dynasty burial of a royal woman of Nubian descent. But the authors usually quickly point out that the collar is not a true shebiu collar.

For as far as who would be awarding the collar? My impression is that it would be awarded by the king. But if someone has other info, I hope they will share it.
Robson
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see the Merytre rewarding scene, but according to the descriptions it includes an unspecified necklace.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sothis wrote:
... The question for me is :if someone merely wears or possesses a shebiu collar , does this necessairily mean that she or he was rewarded with it by the king? ...

So far we know. However, also different objects from gold emerge. The Gold of Honor was awarded in the form of:

"Sbjw" = a neck collar which is usually from 2, but also from 1, 3 and 4 rows of lens pearls.

"aaw" (or even "awaw jwaw") = a double arm tires for both arms.

"msktw" = a sub bracelet (sometimes barrel-shaped), usually on the right, from time to time worn on both wrists.

"mxtht" or "mnfrt" = bangle with a sub for the left wrist, decorated with diamond patterns.

For honors in the military field, we know the fly and lion trailers. And apparently for earnings of non-military kind hearts were made of silver and gold, on which could have given the name of the ruler.

While the honour gold is carried at the beginning only of private people, we find it starting from Amenhotep II. also in representations of the king in private tombs or in small plastics. In the Ramesside period it is only carried of few private people, but all the more frequently of the king. We find the Sbjw-collar now also on pictures of the gods and on there barks (aegis).

(See LÄ II, Erika Feucht : Verleihung des Goldes, 1977, col. 731 ff.)

Greatings, Lutz.
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
The reason I mentioned Maia is because it's actually mentioned in Zivie's book about Saqqara: The lost tombs of Saqqara
By Alain-Pierre Zivie, Patrick Chapuis

Thanks a lot for sharing this link, Anneke. I didn`t know that Zivie`s book is already around in English. I will definitely read the available pages as soon as I can.
Zivie mentions that besides Maia two other women received the gold of honour. So Maia was apparently added to the two others that were already known.
Unfortunately Zivie only mentions the well-known case of Aye`s wife and forgets the other one.
Could it be that he got carried away by Maia`s beauty...? Wink
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
... The scene in TT 49 mentions an "reward scene" but to my knowledge there is no mention of a shebiu colllar being awarded to Merytre. Porter and Moss for instance only mention that Merytre receives rewards form the Queen in the royal harim. I have always wondered about that scene and if someone knows more details of the scene I would be interested in hearing about it! ...

See Violeta Pereyra de Fidanza : A Queen Rewarding a Noblewoman in TT49. - Krakau : Instytut Archeologii UJ, 2000. - ISBN : 83-909501-5-4. - Les civilisations du bassin Méditerranéen - Hommage à Joachim Sliwa. - [Ed. Cialowicz, Krzysztof M.]. - pp. 173 - 184.

Greetings, Lutz.
stephaniep
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't the original question have referred to the fly necklace rather than the gold collar? Ahotep was the only woman found with one of those.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Sothis: I have the book in French (which is hard to read for me). It's nice they have the book in English now, but something with a bit more detail would be nice!

@ Lutz: Thanks for the references Lutz. I do not have access to those though. I did see that there is an extensive discussion of TT49 in "Life and Death in Ancient Egypt: Scenes from Private Tombs in New Kingdom Thebes" by Sigrid Hodel-Hoenes. So I just ordered that book Smile The rest sounds very interesting as well.

@ Robson: This award scene involving the Queen is rather unique. I hope to learn more from the book I mentioned above. You mentioned the awarding of a necklace. The tomb owner Neferhotep probably had a career going back to the Amarna period? The award scenes (being depicted) I only know from Amarna, one scene from the time of Sety I (From Saqqara I think) and the award scene of Nebwenenef before Ramesses II and Nefertiti. I thought it was interesting to read that the award scene of Meritre took place in the garden. I'm curious now if Neferhotep's award (which included a shebiu collar from what I read) took place at the window of appearance?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: