Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

reproducing the Egyptian Kilt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdub248
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: reproducing the Egyptian Kilt Reply with quote

Does any know how to make an Egyptian kilt? There seems to be several types shown throughout Egyptian history, and I'm really struggling to figure out a few of them.

Example 1:
http://www.history-of-armor.com/images/weapons7.jpg

Example 2
http://realhistoryww.com/world_history/ancient/Images_Egypt/Snofru_3.jpg

Example 3
http://realhistoryww.com/world_history/ancient/Images_Egypt/Raherka.jpg

Any thoughts? Thanks!
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: reproducing the Egyptian Kilt Reply with quote

tdub248 wrote:
Does any know how to make an Egyptian kilt? There seems to be several types shown throughout Egyptian history, and I'm really struggling to figure out a few of them.

Example 1:
http://www.history-of-armor.com/images/weapons7.jpg

Example 2
http://realhistoryww.com/world_history/ancient/Images_Egypt/Snofru_3.jpg

Example 3
http://realhistoryww.com/world_history/ancient/Images_Egypt/Raherka.jpg

See:

Badawi, A., ed. 1981. Dresses in Ancient Egypt. Le costume dans l'Égypte ancienne. Cairo: Centre de Documentation sur l'Ancienne Égypte.

Houston, M.G. 1954. Ancient Egyptian Mesopotamian & Persian Costume and Decoration. Second Ed. A Technical History of Costume Vol. I. London: Adam & Charles Black.

Vogelsang-Eastwood, G. 1993. Pharaonic Egyptian Clothing. Studies in Textile and Costume History 2. Leiden/New York/Köln: E.J. Brill.

Watson, P. J. 1987. Costume of Ancient Egypt. Costume Reference Series. London: B. T. Batsford, Ltd.

Zoffili, E. 1992. Kleidung und Schmuck im Alten Ägypten. Frankfurt am Main/Berlin: Propyläen Verlag.

The Houston work, which can be found in reprint at places like Amazon, has actual patterns for making your own costumes, which may be of assistance.

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

tdub248
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your response. I have Houston's book and it doesn't cover examples 2 and 3... I just can't seem to figure them out. It seems to me to be a folded and pressed linen to get that jagged look, but I just can't figure out how it should fold. It doesn't seem to change much over the years, giving no extra clues to it's construction. I will try to get ahold of these other books you have suggested. Vogelsang's looks particularly interesting. I have another book by Watson, and if it's like the one I have I don't think it will be very useful. Again, thank you,
Mennefer
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to what I have read, several kilts were found among other items of clothing in the tomb of Kha and Merit in western Thebes. Does anyone here know if there are pictures of them or more published information?
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mennefer wrote:
... several kilts were found among other items of clothing in the tomb of Kha and Merit in western Thebes. Does anyone here know if there are pictures of them or more published information?

The content of Theban Tomb 8: Kha and Merit is located almost entirely in Italy, Museo Egizio Turin.

Give "Tomba di Kha" in "Collezione ---> Ricerca generic (words)" and you get 343 results.

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe also of interest... Elizabeth Riefstahl : Patterned Textiles in Pharaonic Egypt. - New York : Brooklyn Museum, Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences, 1944. - 56 p., ill.

Greetings, Lutz.
Mennefer
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, the links were very helpful. Judging by the tomb findings it seems that Kha would have worn a number of rectangular sash-kilts rather than the sterotypical SnDyt or shenti. Maybe the latter had fallen out of use by the NK?
Mennefer
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of kilts, maybe the wooden models of the 1st IP and MK might be a good source of how they were actually used? Some of the wooden models apparently have garments of real linen cloth (like doll clothing), but it's hard to tell how they were wrapped and tied just by looking at images.
For instance, this model seems to be dressed in a kilt with a rounded border, as seen on statues and reliefs.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mennefer wrote:
... Judging by the tomb findings it seems that Kha would have worn a number of rectangular sash-kilts rather than the sterotypical SnDyt or shenti. Maybe the latter had fallen out of use by the NK?

I have not paid attention on it, but are there really all objects from TT 8 on-line? I think the best impression how it looked and changed during the history of Egypt, and how it is to dress and wear gives one book that Neseret still mentioned...

Ermanno Zoffili : Kleidung und Schmuck im Alten Ägypten. - Frankfurt am Main / Berlin : Propyläen Verlag, 1992. - 256 p., ill. incl. colour. - ISBN : 3-549-05465-3. - [Costume e cultura dell antico Egitto - Da Narmer a Cleopatra. - Mailand : Fabbri, 1991].
Quote:
OEB 36516 (AEB 1992.0841) :

This is the German translation of a book which appeared in 1991 under the title Costume e cultura dell'antico Egitto. It begins with a series of rather brief chapters dealing with the country and the people, characteristics of Egyptian art, representations of clothes in early works of art, men's and women's dresses, textiles, precious and semi-precious stones, jewellery, and cosmetics. The main part consists of a series of splendidly executed drawings, often coloured, of Egyptian dresses of all periods, head-dresses, wigs, and footgear, along with reproductions of the Egyptian representations by which they were inspired. Bibliography.

You don`t have to be able to read German to understand the drawings. They are made very good and clear. I have purchased a used copy in very good condition for only 40, - € (incl. shipping). It is really worth every penny...

Greetings, Lutz.
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

t dub any luck making the kilt? I myself am thinking of making one, and also a replication of the full piece dress robe sort of thing I see the males and females wearing in the papyrus of Ani. I have seen them in Faulkner's Ancient Egyptian Book of the Dead. They look comfortable for warm weather.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: