Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tuts funeral ceremony

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Tuts funeral ceremony Reply with quote

I found this page about tuts treasures with a picture of a leopard head decoration thought to be from a ritual robe.

http://heritage-key.com/egypt/preview-king-tut-and-golden-age-pharoahs-hits-toronto

I can't help but wonder if it is the one Aye is wearing in tuts tomb during the opening of the mouth ceremony.

http://myweb.usf.edu/~ammason/Murder%20Myth/Ay%20performing%20the%20Opening%20of%20the%20Mouth%20ceremony.jpg

Also i wonder if the remains of food from a funeral banquet found in tuts KV54 embalming cache mean they had the banquet there or in tuts actual tomb?
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so links don't work lol.

Here are the pictures i was talking about.

Here is the photo of what is described as a "Leopard-Head Decoration from a Ritual Robe. Gilded wood, rock crystal, and coloured glass. Height 13 cm."

And here is the image from Tuts tomb of Aye performing the Opening of the mouth ceremony on Tutankhamun.

Thinking about it i'm sure this leopard head is from Tuts own ritual robe as it bears Tuts name- duh talk about me being stupid!

This seems more likely thinking about it now as I'm sure all ritual robes shared the same stylistic characterisitcs during that time, and the painting of Aye as Pharoah proves that Pharoahs each had their own ritual leopard pelt robe with a gilded leopard head to the same scale as the one found in Tuts tomb.

Although i haven't heard of a ritual robe made out of a leopard pelt being discovered in tuts tomb? Have you?

Although the damage displayed on the leopard head seems to suggest it was damaged- perhaps when the tomb was robbed?

Maybe someone stole the robe and only the gilded leopard head was recovered?

It seems strange to have the leopard head with no associated robe? Perhaps thats what this topic should be about- why is there a leopard head from a ritual robe and no robe?

I find the whole opening of the mouth ceremony and associated funeral banquet so interesting!

Either way it's just a fascinating and rare piece-don't you think?
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrismackint wrote :
Quote:
Although i haven't heard of a ritual robe made out of a leopard pelt being discovered in tuts tomb? Have you?

Quote :
Two leopard skins were found in the tomb of Tutankhamun. These can be associated with his priestly function. One of these garments was made from a real skin (Carter 44q), the other was made from linnen embroidered to look like a leopard skin (carter 21t). In addition, two wooden leopard heads were found in the tomb (Carter 44q and 21t).

The real skin was decorated with cartouches enclosing the names of the king. In addition, six forms of bracteate in red gold, including stars and leopard heads, were sewn onto the skin in an apparently random order. The larger of the two wooden heads noted above was found with the real leopard skin and was probably originally attached to it. The head is made of wood covered with gesso and overlaid with gold. The nose, eye-frames and marking above the eyes are made from blue glass inlay. The eyes seems to be made of crystal with black iris and ring and red corners in a point behind. On the forehead are inlaid cartouches enclosing the names of the king.
http://www.griffith.ox.ac.uk/gri/carter/044q.html

The second, artificial skin from the tomb of Tutankhamun is now badly discoloured. Originally, however, it had a white, linen ground decorated with an appliqué design using small circles of red and blue linnen.Upon each circle was sewn a small gold star. Each star is hollow and made out of thin, sheet gold. The stars are place diagonally to each other in rows of red, blue, red, etc.
http://www.griffith.ox.ac.uk/gri/carter/021t.html

The four paws of the animal have also survived. Each paw has five silver claws which have a hole pierced at the top end to fasten it to the cloth. In addition to the paws, there is also a tail made from a length of cloth, again decorated with five-pronged stars on blue and red circles.

Source :
Tutankhamun's Wardrobe
Garmetns from the tomb of tutankhamun
by G.M. vogelsang-eastwood
pg104-105
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: