Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

About Exodus.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thewayshemoves
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: About Exodus. Reply with quote

Hopefully not the same kind of thread here. I've read through tons of stuff trying to date the Exodus, and even the stranger stuff saying Akhenaten was actually Moses, or that Moses gave him monotheism and vice versa. I've read very sound math that would put Moses at the time of Akhenaten or just slightly after. The problem is that all of that presupposes that the Exodus happened at all, and that Moses was a real person. From my understanding a lot of the Torah was composed when Israel was in exile in Babylon. It strikes me as interesting that the story of Moses in the basket on the river mirror that of Babylonian king Sargon II (I think II, could be I). My question is basically this. Is there any evidence at all of the Exodus itself ever even happening in the first place? Also, is it not more likely that the story was a merging of common myths and hero legends around the time, with a bit of racial memories mixed in? Seems like Genesis, all the way through Moses have a lot in common with Babylonian myths to me. Anyone have any real references to an Exodus, or even simply Israelites in Egypt? I'm interested in that and the information is terrible.
thewayshemoves
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I mean by very sound math is that the math really does put Moses somewhere around Akhenaten. The problem is it presupposes that Moses did live to be 120 years, that he did in fact spend the 20 years, no more no less in Midian, and that the Israelites did wander the desert for 40 years exactly. Obviously everything I can find is not any sort of archaeology or science, just a lot of presupposition. I can't find anything real, and was hoping someone here might. To clarify my post I'm interested in the history of the Biblical God, and by extent monotheism as a whole, and here I've found my dead end and all roads seem to end up with, "OMG MOSES WAS AKHENATEN JESUS BIBLE AND STUFF." I need help, haha.
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately archaeology gives us nothing Thewayshemoves.

When looking into the Exodus, nothing directly points to any Pharaoh, not a thing. We are left with doubts over the story, but people have been rather creative when trying to place a particular Pharaoh within the story.

For now that is the status as far as i am aware. Wink

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

thewayshemoves
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we're probably never know. Sad
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right.
If any artifacts can be found to verify the Exodus, you will be sure to see it in every newspaper.

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

dashotep
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once read a book called 'Act of God' by Graham Phillips which advocated a theory that Hormhab was the pharaoh of the Exodus (if I remember rightly) and that the plagues of Egypt were the result of repercussions of the Thera/Santorini eruption that also wiped out Minoan civilization. Supposedly the pillar of smoke from that event would have been visible from Egypt, so would have informed the biblical account. Some of Phillips' arguments seemed quite convincing at the time I read it.

I have heard the idea attributed to Manetho, however, that rather than there being an exodus of escaping/freed slaves that the Biblical Hebrews were no other than the expelled Hyksos invaders. That would mean that the religion of the hebrews had nothing to do with Amarna monotheism since the 'exodus' was an earlier event.

Others seem to have the idea that Ramesses II was the pharaoh of the expulsion, which would mean that the exodus took place long after the Amarna revolution had slipped from memory.

The Biblical account gives clues to the fact that the 'Israelites' were not retreating slaves. Rather they seem to have taken some of their own slaves.

Incidentally the first independent (possible) mention of 'Israel' is on the Merneptah stele.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dashotep wrote:
... Incidentally the first independent (possible) mention of 'Israel' is on the Merneptah stele.

Not really. See...

Görg / Thies / van der Veen : Israel in Canaan Long Before Pharaoh Merenptah - A Fresh Look at Berlin Statue Pedestal Relief 21687. - In: JAEI 2-4. - 2010. - pp. 15 - 25.

Greetings, Lutz.
Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, and this is just my opinion, trying to date the Exodus is pretty much an exercise in futility. Pick a pharaoh any pharaoh between Montuhotep II and Merneptah and you can probably make an argument for him or her (don't forget Hatshepsut) being the pharaoh who put Joseph in charge of the country or the pharaoh of the oppression, or the Exodus or if he reigned long enough both.

The idea of linking the Exodus to the Thera eruption is intriguing but the best dates we have now place that event around 1600 or earlier--a lot earlier than most people want to place the Exodus based on Jewish tradition. Likewise, we know that there was a real ethnic cleansing in northern Egypt when Ahmose kicked the Hyksos out of the country but Josephus, who claimed the Hyksos as ancestors, aside there's no evidence to link the Israelites and the Hyksos.

My personal opinion is that there are many different threads in this story, memories of different events, legends and traditions all of which came together in time to form one hell of a good story--a story that had great resonance for the people of both their time and ours.
dashotep
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. The Exodus account probably contains a mixture of elements, from more than one historical event, so could conflate a number of different Pharaohs into one. Therefore the imagery of the pillar of fire and the natural caused of some of the 'plagues' mentioned could well relate to the Thera eruption. A tsunami resulting from the eruption could also account for the story of the parting of the waters and the drowning of the pursuing army.

There are traces in the text that the people described as Hebrews weren't slaves at the time, even while in Egypt, since one of the plagues was said not to strike down their cattle. I can't imagine that slaves would have owned livestock. Also the later references to these supposed refugee slaves having slaves of their own (including the reference in the Ten Commandments to not coveting the slaves or servants of others...)
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a reminder: Outside the Pentateuch, there is no evidence of an exodus from Egypt...
Unas
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just a reminder: Outside the Pentateuch, there is no evidence of an exodus from Egypt...

Sounds like a pretty good source to me! Smile
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unas wrote:
Quote:
Sounds like a pretty good source to me! Smile

Iker
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewayshemoves: From my understanding a lot of the Torah was composed when Israel was in exile in Babylon. It strikes me as interesting that the story of Moses in the basket on the river mirror that of Babylonian king Sargon II (I think II, could be I).
Yes, you may allude to something significant here. During the era of communism when the press was strictly controlled (unlike or own countries in which rich people are entirely free to control the masses through their media outlets!) Czech drama, for example, became a way of spreading ideas under the cloak of fiction and art. Shakespeare is also commonly thought to have made comments on contemporary society through the relative safety of his plays and projecting contemporary issues and characters onto an historical canvas. During the period of the exile there would be the need to maintain hope in what seemed a desperate situation to many ("By the rivers of Babylon where we sat down and wept...") and a story, based on some existing legends, that inspired hope whilst giving a veiled warning to the Babylonians ("look what will happen if you are bad to us") would have been one way of doing it.

Styler78: When looking into the Exodus, nothing directly points to any Pharaoh, not a thing. We are left with doubts over the story, but people have been rather creative when trying to place a particular Pharaoh within the story.
There is no good reason for an otherwise reasonably detailed story, i.e the Exodus, to miss out the name of a central character such as the Pharaoh. (The Qur'an does the same). This lends weight to the argument that the story in it's totality was never meant to be a description of an historical event but rather a theological drama intended to inspire and warn a contemporary audience but without inviting retribution from the latter.

Nuanacht: My personal opinion is that there are many different threads in this story, memories of different events, legends and traditions all of which came together in time to form one hell of a good story--a story that had great resonance for the people of both their time and ours.
Yes but it was unfortunate that it involved calumniating Egypt which was then tarred as being the home of harsh slave drivers (the Greeks said the opposite about the Egyptians) and the killers of babies.

The Manetho leper thread in his account I think is echoed dimly in the book of Exodus when Moses hand is made to turn white and then back to normal.
Unas
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should be very careful before making conclusions that the Bible isn't trustworthy.
Iker
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unas wrote:
I think we should be very careful before making conclusions that the Bible isn't trustworthy.

Your observation could mean many things, would you care to clarify?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: