Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Akhenaten's throwstick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Akhenaten's throwstick Reply with quote

I just found a picture of a throwstick from ancient egypt that is said to be Akhenaten's- does anyone know if this is true?

http://www.perankhgroup.com/ps318808.jpg

http://www.perankhgroup.com/monothesim.htm
Vangu Vegro
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, even though the picture's not very clear, that does seem to be Akhenaten's cartouche on there, but whether that means it actually belonged to Akhenaten, I'm not so sure about.

It's certainly possible that it was part of Akhentaten's burial, but that's not the only option. For instance, I know of a throwing stick with Tutankhamun's name in the collection of the RMO in Leiden which was in their possession in the 1800s, long before Tut's tomb or embalming cache were discovered. It's tempting to think that it may have been an item that was stolen from KV62, but objects with pharaohs' names were often thought to have amuletic qualities and could end up in the tombs of commoners.

Not much more can be said about the throwing stick unless we knew more about its provenance.
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrismackint wrote :
Quote:
I just found a picture of a throwstick from ancient egypt that is said to be Akhenaten's- does anyone know if this is true?

Model throwstick , bright-blue glazed faience, the decoration is carried out in black glaze, and consists of two parallel lines at the ‘handle’ end and in the centre, while at the other end are depicted the eye of Horus, a cartouche with double outline containing the nomen of Akhenaten, a lotus blossom with spotted design to represent hairs, and a convential lotus flower terminal with recurved sepals. The other side is decorated with an identical design, except that the cartouche contains the prenomen of Akhenaten, and the lotus blossom is not spotted.

In six fragments, rejoined, British Museum 34213.
http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/aes/f/faience_throwstick_of_akhenate.aspx

This object was acquired by W.J. Loftie from the natives of el-Hagg Qandîl, from whom he also acquired the jewellery from the Royal Tomb. Since this is pr-eminently a funerary object (though also just possibly part of a foundation deposit) the likelihood is that it was taken from the Royal Tomb at the time of its rediscovery
c. 1882.
Model throwsticks were standard items of equipment in the royal tombs of the 18th dynasty.
Source :
The royal tomb at El- Amarna
By Geoffrey Thordike Martin
I the Objects
Pg 81-82
Plate 51
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: