Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maia and Tutankhamun.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EgyptianRose
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Maia and Tutankhamun. Reply with quote

http://www.eloquentpeasant.com/2011/01/29/statues-of-tutankhamun-damagedstolen-from-the-egyptian-museum/

Near the end of this page is a video ten minutes long. The video is about the discovery of Maia's tomb and the picture found depicting Maia and Tutankhamun together.

At the end of this video the man states, that a great deal of affection is shown in the depiction which is obvious, though he then goes on stating perhaps even more than affection.

My question is, what is he suggesting exactly? I've been bewildered by this statement all day! So please give me clarity : D
It is of course the hieght of irony that, after this intensive campaign to expunge them from the annals of Egypt, the Amarna pharaohs are today probably the most recognized of all the country's ancient rulers!

Quote 'Amarna Sunset' by Aidan Dodson.
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zivie thinks that Maia was a woman of great importance. This is certainly true if one considers the sheer size of her tomb and the fact that she is not only shown in this scene with Tut but also in another scene with him and several high ranking courtiers.
One inscription seems to state that "we put our Horus on the throne" (if I recall correctly) which could be interpreted as her and others having helped Tut come to the throne (although I am not sure sure what could have prevented him becoming king). A similar statement is made by the chancellor Bay with respect to Siptah and therefore Bay is sometimes called the "kingmaker".

Back to the video, I guess that Zivie`s very quick statement of "more" refers to Maia`s importance at court and in Tut`s life.
I cannot imagine that he could refer to them having been lovers as the relationship between wetnurse and fosterson would have been just like that between mother and son.
karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would speculate that with no mother that we know of referenced on Tut's monuments or in his tomb, she was deceased early in his life, hence the role of wet nurse was very important. She may have been the closest thing to a mother that Tutankhamun had while he was growing up. That alone may have been enough to warrant such a large well decorated tomb.
Robson
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Alain Zivie , Maļa's name is written in other three ways in her tomb: "May", "Maiay", and "Mutia", which could be an indicator that it was not her real name, but something that could mean "Mommy", or the alike. I wonder if she was someone related with either of the three strongmen at Tutankhamun's court (Ay, Maya, and Horemheb).
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wet nurse is wearing a so called modius on her wig. Typically, this object is carried in ancient Egypt by members of the royal family only. We know little examples were other than queens or princesses do so. One is in the tomb of Cheruef - TT 192 (Amenhotep III / IV) and here they are seem to play the role of the royal children during the hebsed festival.

Greetings, Lutz.
EgyptianRose
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Clarification. Reply with quote

Talk as you wish on this thread, considering I only had one question to ask and had been answered, Thank you.

Would have been inaccurate of the man to assume anything more was between Maia and Tutankhamun (as loving relationships go), so thank you for clarifying that for me.

Actually I don't think it is even possible for a child King to even contemplate having a 'lovers relationship' with their own wet nurse aha Embarassed . Thank you for clarifying, as it were....
It is of course the hieght of irony that, after this intensive campaign to expunge them from the annals of Egypt, the Amarna pharaohs are today probably the most recognized of all the country's ancient rulers!

Meretseger
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
The wet nurse is wearing a so called modius on her wig. Typically, this object is carried in ancient Egypt by members of the royal family only. We know little examples were other than queens or princesses do so. One is in the tomb of Cheruef - TT 192 (Amenhotep III / IV) and here they are seem to play the role of the royal children during the hebsed festival.

Greetings, Lutz.

I wonder if this is a special honor granted to by a grateful king?
EgyptianRose
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He did have a lot to owe Lady Maia. His appreciation was probably adorned upon by Maia, rather a sweet story, gives me the warm fuzzies inside Very Happy

What Robson said is interesting the various names she has in her tomb and their is a possibilty it means mummy of some kind, though didn't meritaten have various shortened names?

Perhaps it was a tradition in the Amarna and end 18th dynasty? Idea

Robson
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:

Greetings, Lutz.

Yes, the same hairdo weared by Lady Maia, wife of the Overseer of the Treasury of Aten in Akhetaten in Memphis, Hatiay, or Re-Hatiay, or Raiay (also, different names in the same tomb), also buried at the Bubasteion. This made Zivie believe that they were the same person.

Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robson wrote:
Lutz wrote:

Greetings, Lutz.

Yes, the same hairdo weared by Lady Maia, wife of the Overseer of the Treasury of Aten in Akhetaten in Memphis, Hatiay, or Re-Hatiay, or Raiay (also, different names in the same tomb), also buried at the Bubasteion. This made Zivie believe that they were the same person.

I didn`t know of this suggestion but I think it is quite a good guess.

Maia the wet-nurse would have had to be a married woman and like her the Overseer of the Treasury of the Aten at Memphis was prominent during Akhenaten`s reign but buried in full Osirian tradition, as far as it can be judged from this picture.

Are their tombs close-by or rather far apart?
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should not have asked this question as I just did a search on Anneke`s excellent website and found out that Maia`s tomb is I 20 and Raiay called Hatiay`s tomb is I 27, both in the cliffs of the Bubasteion.
That sounds as if they are pretty close to each other. Suggestive, but of course no proof that Raiay`s wife is Maia the wetnurse of Tut.

There is by the way another Maia, chantress of Amun and wife of a certain Roy from the late 18th dynasty. Roy is also buried in the necropolis of Memphis and his wife is depicted wearing the same wig, modius and flower as the other two Maias. Seems to have been quite a popular headdo at that time, and AFAIK there is no mention of them belonging to the royal family.

As a chantress of Amun the second Maia (wife of Roy) will not have been favored at Akhenaten`s court, so I think she can`t have been Tut`s nurse unless she got the title only later in his reign.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robson wrote:
Lutz wrote:
The wet nurse is wearing a so called modius on her wig. ...

The lady on your picture is not wearing a so called modius. She has a salb cone on her wig, something very common. But it has nothing to do with a modius. Here is a picture from the wet nurse Maia from her tomb :

The modius is the rectangular object on the wig and lotos flower. The salb cone is here on the modius.

Greetings, Lutz.
Sobek101
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karnsculpture wrote:
I would speculate that with no mother that we know of referenced on Tut's monuments or in his tomb, she was deceased early in his life, hence the role of wet nurse was very important. She may have been the closest thing to a mother that Tutankhamun had while he was growing up. That alone may have been enough to warrant such a large well decorated tomb.

Yes, I imagine Maia's role as Tut's Wet Nurse wouldve meant they wouldve grown quite fond of each i magine, as you say Tut's mum couldve died early meaning Maia couldve been a mother figure, therefore Tut giving her such a large tomb

whilst were on subject wasnt Tut's mum proven by DNA to be "The Younger Lady" found in KV35?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: