Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greetings!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam.Raman.na.Marú:t.Nahah
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Greetings! Reply with quote

Hello there!
I had a first encounter with ancient Egyptian language in my childhood, when I developed an interest for ancient languages. I started learning hieroglyphs, hieratic, Egyptian grammar and had a dream to become an egyptologist someday. But, in my country there was no institution to study that particular discipline, so I had to do germanistics instead.
A year ago when I moved to the USA, and decided to enroll a faculty here, my passion for Egyptian leapt back to life, so I started doing Egyptian all over again, and much to my surprise, I haven't really forgotten how to read hieroglyphs. I bought books, grammars, dictionaries, chrestomathies, linguistic studies (Loprieno is at the moment like a supreme Deity to me) and every day as I am learning more and more words and making a progress, I am falling in love with Egyptian more deeply. I am especially interested in matters of vocalization and Old Egyptian.
My story is probably dull and my enthusiasm way to irritating, but I wanted to share my story with people on this forum who understand beauty of Ancient Egyptian civilization.
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Egyptian Dreams Very Happy

I could never find the kind of fascination and interest you describe boring. It's nice to hear it was relatively easy for you to pick up the language again.

I am personally more interested in the history than the linguistics, but there are others here who are interested in the language. Enjoy Very Happy
Sam.Raman.na.Marú:t.Nahah
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:

I am personally more interested in the history than the linguistics, but there are others here who are interested in the language. Enjoy Very Happy

Thank you!
I find history and culture inseparable from linguistics.
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam.Raman.na.Marú:t.Nahah wrote:
anneke wrote:

Thank you!
I find history and culture inseparable from linguistics.

Knowing the language would certainly deepen my understanding. Given time pressures I will have to make do with the study based on translations by others. But I see your point.

Members like Aset and BobManske are knowledgeable about the Egyptian language. You will enjoy their posts I think. If you search for their posts you will see what I mean. Aset often helps out with translations here.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum! Very Happy I envy you finding the language so easy to get into. I'm going to have to study hieroglyphs next year for University, and I'll be dreading it! Laughing

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Loprieno? The name sounds familiar, but I don't know who it is. Anyway, welcome to the board.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antonio Loprieno (*1955 in Bari) is an Italian-Swiss Egyptologist. From 2005 to 2015 he was rector of the University of Basel. He is co-editor of the "Zeitschrift für Ägyptische Sprache und Altertumskunde" (ZÄS) and editor of the magazine "Lingua Aegyptia - Journal of Egyptian Language Studies" (LingAeg).

Antonio Loprieno : Ancient Egyptian - A Linguistic Introduction (1995)
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Germanistics sounds cool. Do you have any suggestions of what book to have if I want to learn German? Thanks...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Say Hello All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: