Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Women in Egypt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicky_too
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Women in Egypt Reply with quote

Lucky me, I get to spend a few hours in the library of the Britsh Museum in December. Very Happy
I want to spend that time browsing some books about women in Egypt. I managed to narrow down my original list to two books, however I haven't yet been able to identify one or more books that deal with women in every day life. There are plenty of books about the royal wives, priestesses and of course the female pharaohs, but what about the rest?

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks.
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot give references as other will, but the BM will be able to advise you of the books you desire.

Enjoy the visit.

Stuart Wink

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best known one is probably Women in Ancient Egypt by gay Robins Link, but I'm guessing you already know about that one?

And there's Joyce Tyldesley's Daughters of Isis: Women of Ancient Egypt
Link.

Are those the two you found already?

You might be able to find out a bit more about women as well in the books about Deir el-Medina or about life in Ancient Egypt. Not specific books about women, but still books that will discuss them I think.
I have not read those myself, so I cannot be more specific than that Very Happy
nicky_too
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Anneke, no, those were not the ones I found. I did have "Daughters of Isis" on my list, but I hope to borrow that from the S.S.A.E.
The book by gay Robins I hadn't seen before (I will follow that up, thank you).

The two books I'd like to have a look at while at the BM are B. Watterson "Women in ancient Egypt" and J. Tyldesley "Chronicles of the queens of Egypt".
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicky_too wrote:
J. Tyldesley "Chronicles of the queens of Egypt".

If you like Tyldesley's chronicles you may also find this book a fascinating read:
Grajetzki, Ancient Egyptian Queens: A Hieroglyphic Dictionary, Golden House Publications, London, 2005, ISBN 978-0954721893
It's small but rather jam packed with interesting information.
It's about royal women as the title suggests, but one I really like.

I have always liked:
Dodson, Aidan and Hilton, Dyan. The Complete Royal Families of Ancient Egypt. Thames & Hudson. 2004. ISBN 0-500-05128-3
Again, mainly mentions royal women, but still a good read.
nicky_too
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only browsed one of Tyldesley's books, to be honest, but I'm going to have a closer look at a few.

Thank you for the additional titles. This should all really help me in my research.
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic seems interesting to me as well, all I know is that at one period they sat in chairs lower to the ground than the males. A strange sort of eccentric custom.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dzama923 wrote:
This topic seems interesting to me as well, all I know is that at one period they sat in chairs lower to the ground than the males. A strange sort of eccentric custom.

I'm not sure where you're getting this: most scenes we have of couples show them sitting side by side in chairs of the same height: this is true from the Old Kingdom onwards.

The only "low chair" I can think of that was particular to women was the "birthing chair" arrangement, where a woman sat on a stool of sorts comprised of 3-4 bricks where she squatted while giving birth.

Here is a Ptolemaic representation of this, where a woman is attended by 2 of the 7 Hathors, with heads of cows:

If this is not what you meant, can you show a representation of the "low chair" for women?

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will get back to you on where I found the information. I have to check it was either the Oxford History of Ancient Egypt by Ian Shaw, or a book I don't have in my possession at the moment and whose title I can't seem to recall except that it was had "Ancient Egypt" in it. The information though I remember clearly reading. The woman's chair was low to the ground and the man had a chair closer to the height of today's chairs. It wasn't in a hieroglyph or papyri in the book, but the book shows a picture of an exhibition of a rendition of a room with the different chairs. I will try to find exactly where I found it. [/i]
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a searchable PDF of Ian Shaw`s "The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt" (2000). The word "chair" appears in the text only once, in the article about Queen Teje : "... Satamun was the most elevated of Tiye's daughters, and chairs made for her were found in the tomb of Yuya and Tuya (KV 46). ...".

Otherwise I can only underline what Neseret writes. No scenes are known to me which justify such a statement. There are only some scenes in which the chair of a person appears slightly elevated. But this has nothing to do with his gender. It is a sign of his office. A good example comes from TT 55 - Ramose, Governor of the town and Vizier under Amenhotep III & IV :

(From Heba Mahran / Engy El-Kilany : What Lies under the Chair! A Study in Ancient Egyptian Private Tomb Scenes, Part II: Objects. - In: JARCE 52. - 2016. - pp. 11-32.)
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, thanks Lutz, I will keep an eye out for the book I had that had the information and picture of the exhibit.
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

Oh, thanks Lutz, I will keep an eye out for the book I had that had the information and picture of the exhibit.
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Homework Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: