Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Study Egyptology online
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Detectiveoat13
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Study Egyptology online Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I desire to enroll in the below Egyptology Online course.

Egyptology Diploma Level 3
http://www.learning-at-home.co.uk/egyptology-diploma-level-p-2021.html

So I need to know that is it OK or not to learn this course?
I don't have any deep knowledge about AE before but I think I have broad general knowledge about AE by read too many books.

Anyone who has the experience of learning Egyptology course online like this please share me your experience. What is your satisfaction and unsatisfaction from this course.
And after finish the course we will get the Certificate in Egyptology, won't we?

I will use all of your comments to decide that I should learn this course or not.

Thank you very much. Smile
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Study Egyptology online Reply with quote

Detectiveoat13 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I desire to enroll in the below Egyptology Online course.

Egyptology Diploma Level 3
http://www.learning-at-home.co.uk/egyptology-diploma-level-p-2021.html

So I need to know that is it OK or not to learn this course?
I don't have any deep knowledge about AE before but I think I have broad general knowledge about AE by read too many books.

Anyone who has the experience of learning Egyptology course online like this please share me your experience. What is your satisfaction and unsatisfaction from this course.
And after finish the course we will get the Certificate in Egyptology, won't we?

I will use all of your comments to decide that I should learn this course or not.

Thank you very much. Smile

First of all, what is your intent to do with this training? Is it:

a) to satisfy your own knowledge of ancient Egypt OR
b) to obtain a professional qualification (albeit, this would be an initial stage in doing so)

If it is for your own use, I suppose just about anywhere would do in conveying information about ancient Egypt. But please read more below on why I wouldn't suggest THIS course.

Personally, I would suggest actually attending a short course to see if you like the subject (which is vast, even for professional Egyptologists), like the Bloomsbury Summer School. Here you can take a 1 week course in a topic that interests you and you can determine how well you'd like to proceed in the subject of ancient Egypt. It conveys no useable credit, however.

If you determine you really like the subject to study it, but can only do it online, I would choose an online programme that has recognisable tutors, which from my review of the Oxford College, I didn't find. Now, to me, this is unusual, as one really needs to know the instructors' backgrounds.

In Egyptology, one is known not only by their own work, but where they studied, and in particular, under which instructors/professors. For example, I am a doctoral student who studies at the Oriental Institute the Faculty of Oriental Studies at the University of Oxford; my supervisor is John Baines, who is a well-known professional in the field of Egyptology. I previously studied at the Institute of Archaeology at the University College London in the MA programme of Egyptian Archaeology, where I studied under John Tait (my supervisor), David Jeffreys, Rosalind Janssen, David Wengrow, Jac Janssen and so on - again, all recognised professionals in the Egyptology field.

As such, no matter how long I am away from both schools in the future, I will always be known and evaluated by the relationship of the university where I studied and under whom I studied. This is how one is known in Egyptology.

While this may not be as a determining factor for someone who merely wants to gain further knowledge, I do suggest that knowing who is teaching the subject to you is always very important. So I would recommend, if you are seeking to pursue a continuing education certificate in Egyptology that you seek out a distance learning group which has recognisable Egyptologists teaching the course. In the UK, this would be

University of Manchester, with instruction by Egyptologists Dr. Rosalie David (OBE), Dr. Joyce Tyldesley, and Dr Glenn Godenho.

Description: This 3 year programme provides opportunity for serious, academic study of Egyptology at one of the leading Universities in the U.K. It is led by an internationally recognised scholar and draws upon the important Egyptological collections of the University's Museum and Library. This well-established and highly regarded Certificate has been completely revised and restructured for delivery on-line via the Blackboard Virtual e-learning platform.

Concerning the CE certificate: ...The Certificate is worth 120 University of Manchester credits, which is the equivalent to the first year of a UK Bachelors Honours degree. You may be able to use the Certificate credits towards another course at another university. However, this will be entirely at the discretion of the University to which you wish to apply so you should check with them.

To be sure, this course is more expensive than the Oxford College course, but you will find the working probably more engaging and definitely of high quality.

If information alone is your goal, I can also suggest, as a no credit way of learning, the online coursework in Egyptology at the

University of Exeter (UK) (Egyptologist Lucia Gahlin)

On occasion, the University of Chicago's Oriental Institute offers no credit coursework in Egyptian topics (History, hierogylphs, etc.). I once took a short course from them on ancient Egyptian law which was very good.

On occasion, individual Egyptologists offer their own coursework. One such example is Charlotte Booth, a UK Egyptologist, who offers on-line (no credit) coursework for a fee.

To me, it would be very difficult to cover all issues in Egyptology via online learning: there's simply too much research required which demands access to a professional/university level library, access to professional resources such as professors, language assistance (most well-trained individuals need to be able to read English,German, and French with a certain proficiency, as well as knowledge of glyphs), access to artefacts via museums or teaching collections, etc.

However, for strengthening one's knowledge, online no credit coursework and/or the Manchester CE certificate programme may be useful.

Most other online sources which promise certification are probably not worth the paper the certificate is printed upon. As far as I am aware, only Manchester is a recognised certificate programme in the field of Egyptology (and even there, one is talking about achieving only a Year 1 BA level of instructiion).

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

nicky_too
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently doing the very course you refer to via Oxford College. I started this because I didn't know if I have what it takes to start university and I wanted some general knowledge of Egyptology before taking on some serious studying.

I really enjoy it and I'm happy I have chosen this course. It has given me some basis and I have decided to continue studying after this.
I will continue on the 3 year course neseret mentions via Manchester University. I have called them to get more information (and because, as a foreigner, I didn't understand the English educational system). They explained to me that this 3 year certificate is roughly (depending on which university you choose to continue after this course) equivalent to 1st year bachelor's. They are at the moment working on another 3 year online course to cover the second year bachelor's.

Since I work full-time I have no way to attend lectures and definitely not the amount needed for full-time study. I also work in shifts, so even part-time is no option for me. Therefore it will take me a long time to get bachelor's (and I'm hoping Manchester University will set up the third year while I'm studying), but I am doing this as a hobby. I have no intention of making this my work and next to my job I can afford this option.
So I can basically only support your initial suggestion and a follow-up via Manchester University.

I didn't know that it's important who teaches you (thank you, neseret!), but I agree with neseret it's important to consider what it is you want from your studies.
Detectiveoat13
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, neseret and nicky_too.

I underdstand neseret's point of view and I need to say thank you for nicky_too's answer too.
Now I live in Thailand and this country don't have field of Egyptology or any courses concern Egyptology.
I desire to start by myself by read too many books and read from websites but I couldn't confirm that my knowledge about AE which I know are correct or same as Egyptologist should know or not.
And because I live in Thailand I can study online only, I also work full time like nicky_too and reading the knowledge about AE is my hobby also.

But I think that I'm not ready to study 3 years course at University of Manchester. It seem too deep for me, haha. Laughing
However, I ever readed "Handbook to Life in Ancient Egypt" of Rosalie David and "Chronicle of the Queens of Egypt" and another few books of Joyce Tyldesley.

So, if I desire to start with Oxford College as nicky_too did first (because it's cheaper 3 times!!), what do you think?
And if I enjoy with Oxford College, I will continued study with Manchester University's Egyptology course.

Thank you again for your very good advice.
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detectiveoat13 wrote:
So, if I desire to start with Oxford College as nicky_too did first (because it's cheaper 3 times!!), what do you think?

Ultimately, it's your decision. Just keep in mind that Oxford College and Manchester University offer two different things.
The course at Oxford College is A Level (that is how it was explained to me). The course offered by Manchester University is the first year of bachelor's, which is university level.
I don't know if you are aware of the way the educational system works in the UK, but I'd be happy to explain further if this doesn't make any sense to you.

What I'm trying to say, in short, is that you can't really compare these two courses, as they are fundamentally different.
Fishface
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all of you for this discussion, it was very helpful as its something I had been wondering about too. Much clearer now thanks!
Axenabdw
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Egyptology courses Reply with quote

I am also taking the course on Egyptology with the Manchester university,and although I have not long started ,I an finding the course very easy,and entertaining at the moment.But then I have read many books on the subject,and do indeed intend to try to take it as a career.I am hoping the after the three year course that the certificate provided by the manchester university course will be enough for me to go on to do a degree with Bloombsbury summer school,which I understand do a p/t evening course over three years to gain the qualification,and then onto a PHD if possible.This may seem optomistic,but I understand that it may take about 10 years of study to get to the qualified Egyptologist status.I am willing to put in the time,and effort,and am not willing to give up on my dream.But am always open to advice from others,how to get there,and whats the best way to achieve that.I have spoke to others before,and I hope its enough that I can study,but still keep a regular job in the mean time.Anyones opinion would be greatly valued.Many thanks
Dave
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Egyptology courses Reply with quote

Axenabdw wrote:
I am hoping the after the three year course that the certificate provided by the manchester university course will be enough for me to go on to do a degree with Bloombsbury summer school,which I understand do a p/t evening course over three years to gain the qualification,and then onto a PHD if possible...

Could you direct me to information on this programme? As far as I am aware, the Bloomsbury Summer School offers no courses which grant any credit or certification.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

Axenabdw
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it was Birbeck university of London.Forgive my lapse of memory.It has been a while since I visited the site
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say, is be very careful when doing courses online as you can get stung by "fake" companies producing fake courses, yet charging you for it! (Believe me, I've been there before!) My advice would be to go for a recognised institution, regardless of whether you're doing it for fun or to further your education. Wink
Currently I'm enrolled on the Egyptology course with the University of Manchester (mentioned above) and thoroughly enjoying it! The course is available to people all over the world. Everyone's very friendly and helpful, so I don't think you really need to be an expert in the subject beforehand; just have an interest and dedication.

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
nicky_too
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daughter_Of_SETI wrote:
All I can say, is be very careful when doing courses online as you can get stung by "fake" companies producing fake courses, yet charging you for it!

Very good point.
The Oxford College course I'm doing seem solid (loads of numbers and recognition things and so on). I have checked before I started and apparently the certificate is also a recognised one.
Axenabdw
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thankyou daughter of Seti.I too am enjoying the course with the Manchester university..I am aware of fake courses.Thanks for mentioning it.,After the three years ,when the Manchester course is up,I am hoping to get into Birbeck to study for a degree in Egyptology providing its enough,and take it from there.In the mean time I attend an Ancient Egyptian society ,which do lectures once a month.Am always learning something about my favourite subject.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks Reply with quote

Axenabdw wrote:
Thankyou daughter of Seti.I too am enjoying the course with the Manchester university.

Idea Hmm, there's a Dave in my tutorial group (group 1), but, there again, there's a Dave in practically every group...popular name! Laughing I've not been very active on the general boards, so far.
I'm hoping that the Manchester Uni continue to do more years of Egyptology by the time I complete the course, if I do well in it...Hopefully!

Jesica. Very Happy

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
Axenabdw
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Good luck Reply with quote

Well good luck to you Daughter of Seti.I am only on the 2nd month of the course.But it would be great if they extended it.They have done a 4th year before.It certainly keeps me busy.And is easy and fun.I am looking foward to any hieroglyph study,as it is an area that I spend alot of free time learning,but it would be nice to learn through a professional,not just books.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck to you, too! Very Happy I'm only in the second month of the course as well, but already enjoying it, as I haven't done much reading on the Pre-Dynastic Period beforehand, so it's great learning something new. Smile I might dread Year 2, though, with learning hieroglyphs. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Homework Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: