Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ramesses III, throat cut; Man E is his son?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Ramesses III, throat cut; Man E is his son? Reply with quote

I was just watching a documentary and the following claims were made:
1. A CT scan showed that the throat of Ramesses III was cut. The cut was rather deep and reached all the way to the bone. The evidence seemed to suggest that this was what killed the king. Harem conspiracy did not fail after all?

2. Further results from the CT scan showed that the king had a fairly serious heart condition and would have been in much pain towards the end of his life. He was described was physically weak, and likely having problems walking stairs.

3. A DNA test was conducted on Ramesses III and the mummy of "Screaming Man E". It had been suggested in the past that this mummy may have been Pentawere, the son of Ramesses III implicated in the harem conspiracy. The DNA tests were conducted by Zink and Pusch, and did show that Unknown Mummy E was indeed a son of Ramesses III.

I hope they publish this information in the near future Very Happy
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this must have been a brand new show with this kind of information.
AFAIK never before have any injuries to RamesesIII` body been established.
But with a cut throat he should have been dead on the spot.
I thought it was derived from the trial on the conspirators and the whole circumstances that he survived the assault for some time. Am I wrong?

I am not quite happy that there appear to be the same problems with information leaking onto the TV screen which is lacking official scientific backup as there has been earlier. The information might or might not be confirmed later.
The identification of Hatshepsut`s mummy and the examination of her close family members has appeared on the screen but not in an official report, and not all the information aired in the programme on Tut`s family was included in the JAMA report (such as test results on mtDNA).

The researchers involved should have learned their lessons and should not sell information upfront.

I guess it is probably the Discovery Channel which again has a headstart.
What was the name of the show?

It will probably be some time till it will be aired elsewhere.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was rather surprised to see this kind of information released in a tv documentary as well. They explained that they decided to do a CT scan of the mummy of Ramesses III because his neck was wrapped with more mummy bandages than others and that they were not allowed to remove the bandages to do a physical inspection.

The who show featured Zawi Hawass. The description I saw sounded rather stupid: "A young pharaoh Ramesses is identified, and it's discovered he was murdered" (or some such nonsense) I almost skipped it because of that. Glad I did not in the end.

The mummy of Ramesses III has been known for quite some time and he was not exactly a young pharaoh!

Like you I had always understood that they suspected the assassination attempt was unsuccessful. The wound they described was definitely lethal though.

I found the mention of his weak health and heart condition rather interesting. They portrayed him as a physically frail king. They mentioned the strike among the workers at Thebes during his reign. They did not say so in so many words, but it painted a picture of an aging monarch who was not able to rule the country efficiently. The unrest created through the ineffectual rule led to the first recorded worker's strike in history and the conspiracy in the harem. The struggle for power among the descendants definitely makes some sense if those were the circumstances in the palace.
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Anneke.
So the show still features good old Zahi ...

Do you remember the name of the show in case it is aired some time here?

Confused Confused
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The documentary is called Rameses

The discription is given as follows:
Quote:
Was Rameses I murdered? The mummy has never been positively identified, but Zahi Hawass believes he has found it. With new CT and DNA technology, genetic testing, medical imaging and carbon dating, Zahi will set the record straight.

With the remark that the show is about Ramesses III, not Ramesses I and that his mummy had been identified a long time ago.

I wonder if this and the Nefertiti documentary are possibly the last docs Hawass made as head of the SCA? They are dated to 2011 and I doubt anything has been filmed since the upheaval in the spring.
karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This appears to be the documentary:
http://science.discovery.com/tv-schedules/series.html?paid=48.16352.26139.38907.x
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The confusion of Ramses I with Ramses III does not talk of much competence Rolling Eyes
Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karnsculpture wrote:
This appears to be the documentary:
http://science.discovery.com/tv-schedules/series.html?paid=48.16352.26139.38907.x

Looks like they also had a Nefertiti special as well. I was trying to see when they'd repeat but wasn't able to find a date. Kind of odd that there was no publicity. Maybe with Hawass on it they didn't want to annoy the new regime so they aired it quietly on one of their minor channels. Hope they repeat it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: