Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Timeline help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iris
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Timeline help Reply with quote

I've been watching this forum for some time and everyone's comments have been so helpful!
One thing I cannot figure out though is a timeline for the births of Amenhotep III's and Akhenaten's daughters. First of all, there's next to no information at all on any of A3's girls and second, I have a hard time just sifting through the identities of the three younger daughters of Akhenaten/Nefertiti (if they even existed???), let alone their DOBs.
Does this information just not exist or am I look in the wrong places? Idea
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think too little is known about Amenhotep III's daughters.
Sitamun was made great royal wife in year 30 and Iset (Isis) in year 34.
This may suggest that they were maybe in their mid teens?
It's possible that these elevations to Great royal wife was just an honorary one and they were small children, but I have wondered if it meant they were now adult by Egyptian standards?

Henuttaneb is shown in the Heb Sed inscriptions in Soleb and I think she is presented on the dyad depicting Amenhotep III and Tiye with 3 daughters (now in the Cairo Museum). I think Henuttaneb is depicted with the cap wig of an adult, while Nebetah still has a side lock (although it's combined with a short Nubian wig).

I wonder if it means that the order of birth was: Sitamun, Isis, Henutateb, Nebetiah and maybe later Baketaten.
If my guess about the age at marriage is close. Then maybe:
Sitamun ca year 15
Iset ca year 19
Henuttaneb ca year 22
Nebetiah ca year 25
(I feel kinda silly even putting that down because I could be pretty far off Laughing)

Nefertiti's 6 daughters are shown in a tomb in Amarna and I do not think there is reason to doubt their existence? Dodson/Hilton and Tyldesley seem to suggest:
Meritaten - before year 1 or ca. year 1
Meketaten - ca. year 1-3
Ankesenpaaten - ca year 4
Neferneferuaten-tasherit - ca year 6
Neferneferure - ca year 9
Setepenre - ca year 11

Neferneferuaten Tasherit is depicted in the tomb of Huya (Tiye's steward), in the reward scene of Meryre II, the award scene of Panehesy and in the scene where the royal family mourns Meketaten in the royal tomb. She is also mentioned on a statue base.

Neferneferure is depicted in a fresco from the King's house in Amarna and she appears in the year 12 scene in the tomb of Meryre II. An amphora handle mentioning the burial chamber of Neferure was found in Amarna and suggests she died relatively young and was buried there.

Setepenre is depicted in a fresco from the King's house in Amarna and she appears in the year 12 scene in the tomb of Meryre II. But she is not mentioned in the mourning scene for Meketaten. She likely died very young as well.
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you say you are confused over the existence of princesses, do you mean the tasherit girls?

it seems kiya had a daughter, shown in some reliefs, and when kiya fell from grace, her monuments were taken over by meritaten. this has led some experts to identify kiya's daughter as that of meritaten, and called meritaten tasherit.

there is also an ankhesenpaaten tasherit, but im not sure whether either of the tasherit girls actually did exist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Homework Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: