Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Travel advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Travel advice Reply with quote

I'm going to be in Egypt in February and I have been watching the security situation with interest.

I am however getting mixed messages about how safe it is to go on trips to sites. On the one hand the Foreign and Commonwealth Office have no restrictions on travelling to Egypt, on the other I have been advised that things are not really settled enough to allow me to go on certain trips.

I am certainly not so arrogant as to say that "this will not happen to me" but I wondered if anyone with more local knowledge could clarify what is and is not advisable to do. As I have said in previous posts I've done the tourist things and as a lapsed archaeologist would like to see some of the lesser known sites and this maybe taking me away from the more frequented and hence more policed areas.

If anyone has any advice on this I would be most grateful. I really do want to see more of Egypt but do not want to take silly risks in order to do so.

Thanks.
Charly
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where will you be staying, Cairo or Luxor? I'm travelling to Luxor on thursday, will stay for a week. I'll let you know how the situation is when I get back.
Priest of Hekat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a resident on the West Bank of Luxor I can tell you that Luxor is quiet and has been for most of the time. Access to most sites is normal.
If you contact me nearer the time of your travel I can update you as to the situation.

By the way, we have restarted the regular Mumiffication Museum Lectures on Sunday evenings at 7pm. These are free to all and are given by Egyptologists working in the area.
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Charly,

I'll be staying in Luxor for a week.

I hope to do a walk from the Valley of the Kings to Deir el Medina, which with luck will not prove to be too much of a problem. Another trip I had in mind was to the tombs at Beni Hasan which may well prove to be a bit too adventurous given the situation in Middle Egypt at the best of times, this is what worries me. If time and funds allow I might be up to a trip to Esna as well, it seems strange that the cruise ships don't stop given the Temple of Knum there. After reading about it in Amelia Edwards' book "A Thousand Miles Up The Nile", I really fancy having a good look as she writes about the temple so vividly.

Priest of Hekat,

Thanks for the info re. the lectures at the Mummification Museum. If you had not said I would have missed it as I thought that they were still being held on a Saturday. I would not want to miss what I consider to be one of the highlights of my stays in Luxor. It takes me back to my Uni days without the chore of having to write it all up afterwards.

I'll be in contact with you both nearer the time to check things out.

Thanks again.

Only five weeks to go!

Very Happy
Charly
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi A M Street,

The Luxor area is safe enough, although travelling on foot or by bike on the West Bank might not be so safe, heard some reports of a few tourists getting robbed. Better to travel by taxi on the West Bank. On the other hand I met a guy who travelled there by bike for days on a row and who never saw anything suspicious.
A walk from the Valley of the Kings to Deir el Medina should be no problem but keep in mind that you can't take a camera with you into the Valley of the Kings.
Travelling alone outside of Luxor is not realy recommended, even the locals say risks are involved. Armed gangs of criminals are said to move about and tribal feuds can get nasty; a canadian tourist in a taxi got caught in the crossfire between two warring tribes some time ago and died of his injuries, IIRC he was going to Beni Hassan or another site in Middle Egypt. Abydos is also best avoided.

Some locals told me they are afraid of what may happen on 25 january (anniversary of the revolution), they fear there might be violence. It's also best to stay inside during election days on 29 january and 5 february.

Have a safe trip and don't take any risks.

Best regards,

Charly
Ankhesenamun
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Egypt from the 2nd to 15th Jan this year. We visited Luxor, Aswan, Abydos, Kharga Oasis and Dhakla Oasis and loads of places in between. Laughing It was my second visit to Egypt since 25th Jan 2011. Our visit to Cairo last March proved considerably quieter than usual.

The country felt no less safe than any other time I have visited. Since many of the places I visited recently were off the beaten track I hardly saw any tourists so it was hard to judge whether there was a drop in tourism or not. I know some sites and areas were rarely visited so we often had a small group of people watching us watching the sites. Laughing

What I would say however is Egypt needs our support and I'd never go without a tour group (revolution or no revolution).
For a fortune has no savour if one is gloomy.

Ptahhotep
pyramidscheme
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should take the same amount of caution as you would anywhere in the world. Personally I think things have settled down considerably since the revolution. I've mentioned this in another post but a friend of mine visited Cairo during the height of the revolution and thankfully didn't get caught up in any of it.

I made a Link removed by admin holiday in Egypt and visited Luxor and Hurghada for most of the time I was there, of which both towns had the feeling of 'business as usual'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Travel All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: