Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amarna Princesses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LadyOsiris
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Amarna Princesses Reply with quote

http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/suppl/2010/02/15/303.7.638.DC2

I have a fascination with Amatna period at this moment as you may know...

I was wondering If the mummy from KV 21A has a high possibilty of being Ankhesenamun! I definately hope NOT! very brutal to look at when it has no head Confused Also she has a sevre club foot!

Also the mummy from KV 21B is also very daunting!... It seems her legs are to long for her body size?

Overall there in pretty poor condition!

What do you think? Cheers Very Happy Idea Sad
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sad that this mummy is so severely damaged. When it was initially discovered in 1817, it was in rather good shape.

It was said to be mummified with the "Queen's pose" (the left arm bent and crossed over the chest. They had long hair.

Given the fact that the DNA seems consistent with her being the mother of the foetuses in Tutankhamen's tomb, it seems possible that this is indeed Ankhesenamen.

But either way it seems very, very likely that she was a royal woman, likely a Queen, and she is related to the Amarna royal family.
LadyOsiris
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=king+tut+and+walking+stick&hl=en&gbv=2&biw=1680&bih=889&tbm=isch&tbnid=g63vLuPa3R5TRM:&imgrefurl=http://emhotep.net/2010/03/28/egypt-in-the-news/king-tut%25E2%2580%2599s-feet-fatale-did-frail-feet-fell-the-famous-pharaoh/&docid=Dg6ZVhE-L1ioPM&imgurl=http://emhotep.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/ktff01L-tut-with-cane.png&w=173&h=372&ei=qPsDT7vAKcWhmQX82YG9Ag&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=737&vpy=110&dur=2433&hovh=297&hovw=138&tx=77&ty=157&sig=118395817378766252962&page=1&tbnh=162&tbnw=75&start=0&ndsp=32&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0

Here King Tutankhamun is depicted with a walking stick which I assume he used because of his club foot! If the female mummy from KV21A Is ankhesenamun why is she not depicted with a walking stick as well in any of her depiction with King Tutankhamun? Seeming that the mummy looks like she had a more sevre club foot than King Tutankhamun did himself?....

Are King Tutankhamun's feotuses directly related to the female mummy of KV21A? would you know?... Is the female mummy from KV214 the feotuses Mother?....

Thanks for your helpfull reply by the way! Very Happy Idea Smile

Also I agree they should take better care of the mummies in Egypt!
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they could not collect a full DNA profile of the mummies from kv 21. from the limited DNA they could construct, they were able to say, that out of the mummies, A was more likely to be the babies mother than B.

they could with confidence though, say that the mummies descended from the 18th dynasty royal family. they share quite a few genes with amenhotep III, so descent from him is quite possible, and as A seems to be the mother of tut's babies, descent from AIII adds to that conclusion she could be ankhesenamun.
LadyOsiris
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More probably hmmm Idea Doesn't seem to add up to me! Perhaps KV21A Is a sister to King Tutankhamun (but not Ankhesenamun) and the mummy from KV21B is a more distant relative! Like a cousin perhaps....
My thoughts are that the mummy from KV21A isn't Ankhesenamun! Question

Your thoughts......... Cheers for the reply Very Happy
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, they can't say she is ankhesenamun for sure, without a secure identification of a parent or sister.
this mummy is a member of the 18th dynasty, related to amenhotep III. she seems to have been a queen, based on the pose that she was found with, which is associated with queens.
the style of mummification points to the late 18th dynasty......and she looks like the mother of tut's babies from the limited DNA studies. most likely identification is ankhesenamun.

but without finding akhenaten (extremely unlikely in my opinion), nefertiti, or one of the six daughters securely found in their own coffin in their own unrifled tomb haha you cannot for certainty assign identification to this mummy.
LadyOsiris
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish they could indentify the mummy! Perhaps it's Meriataten!
Meritaten was queen to Smenkhkare! Could be explainable for KV21A mummy royal position! The age aslo fits the category..

Is it known if the Mummy of KV21A was found with a head?....
I certaintly hope so....
I wouldn't wont to believe that Ankhesenamun head is missing!
Idea

Is it possible for future DNA testings?... Also I thought they found the mummy of Ankhenaten...? That's why they believe King Tutankhamuns father was Ankhenaten! ......

Idea
LadyOsiris
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: http://wysinger.homestead.com/smenkk.jpg Reply with quote

Is this positively Smenkhkare and Meritaten.....?
He too... Has a walking stick, Does this suggest that he had club feet or some sort deformity....?
It is a similiar portrayel of that of King Tutankhamun and Ankhesenamun...

http://www.kingtutone.com/queens/ankhesenamun/tutandwife.jpg

Both Kings with a walking stick, being presented with flowers by their wife's....

Idea
LadyOsiris
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://wysinger.homestead.com/smenkk.jpg

"Smenkhkare and Meritaten" Smenkhkare being presented with a flower by Meritaten...
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the carving of an amarna king and his queen has been assigned to smenkhkare and meritaten, but there is no inscription, so it could also be akhenaten or nefertiti. it is interesting that the king is depicted with a walking stick, and i have heard the carving could represent tutankhamun, his walking sticks found in the tomb, reveal that they were well worn, used in real life.

both mummies in kv21 were found intact by belzoni in 1817. i think it was by the time howard carter inspected the tomb in the late 1890's or by the time ronald redford investigated it in the late 1980's that they were damaged and broken into pieces. floods took their toll on the tomb as well. i should think if hawass scanned the mummies they way they are, then the head is definently missing.

the age of mummies is hard to define, but generally, mummies under 25 years of age are datable. this is because after the skeleton matures, you can only base estimates of age from degenerative changes in the skeleton. this is not always reliable though. the remains of kv 55 have been examined as those of a male aged 18-22, by smith, harrison, and filer, all respected experts in their field of anthropology. hawass is generally the only one who tries to give older age estimates, as his pet theory is the body of akhenaten. but the mummy is too young, and he believes ankhesenamun is the mother of tut's babies and is kv 21a. but kv 21a is not the daughter of akhenaten if he is kv 55. oing by the young age, and he fact tut was a king's son, the person who fits best is smenkhkare, who is a younger brother of akhenaten if you accept the new identity of kv 55.
Meretseger
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand how you feel, Lady Osiris. All those fictional depictions of Ankhesenpaaten/amun as an active tomboy have just gone in the garbage can.

It is more than a bit tragic to think of the Amarna royal family suffering from foot abnormalities making even their highly privileged lives painful and difficult but there doesn't seem to be much alternative.
Meretseger
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyOsiris wrote:
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=king+tut+and+walking+stick&hl=en&gbv=2&biw=1680&bih=889&tbm=isch&tbnid=g63vLuPa3R5TRM:&imgrefurl=http://emhotep.net/2010/03/28/egypt-in-the-news/king-tut%25E2%2580%2599s-feet-fatale-did-frail-feet-fell-the-famous-pharaoh/&docid=Dg6ZVhE-L1ioPM&imgurl=http://emhotep.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/ktff01L-tut-with-cane.png&w=173&h=372&ei=qPsDT7vAKcWhmQX82YG9Ag&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=737&vpy=110&dur=2433&hovh=297&hovw=138&tx=77&ty=157&sig=118395817378766252962&page=1&tbnh=162&tbnw=75&start=0&ndsp=32&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0

Here King Tutankhamun is depicted with a walking stick which I assume he used because of his club foot! If the female mummy from KV21A Is ankhesenamun why is she not depicted with a walking stick as well in any of her depiction with King Tutankhamun? Seeming that the mummy looks like she had a more sevre club foot than King Tutankhamun did himself?....

A walking stick was indicative of rank as we see from any number of depictions hence Tut's using one was probably not intended to indicate foot trouble.
LadyOsiris
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou that does make more sense....

Just because King Tutankhamun and perhaps Ankhesenamun (Which I have my doubts that the mummy from KV21A is actually Ankhesenamun!) suffered from club foot doesn't nescarily mean they were less active! I suppose as the foot deformity eventually got worst and harder to bare, It would have made it almost impossible to do certain activities (Such as Chariot riding and hunting). Though I do believe King Tutankhamun wasn't born with the club foot, Just eventually occured as he grew older.....? Is this not true?

There for his depiction as chariot rider and hunter are not all that false....
???

I do believe more DNA test should be done, If they find Ankhesenamun it could possibly solve many riddles....

Thankyou for comments Idea Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: