Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New discovery in the VoK
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: New discovery in the VoK Reply with quote

http://luxortimesmagazine.blogspot.com/2012/01/new-discovery-in-valley-of-kings.html

According to this short article the announcement of a new discovery in the VoK is imminent.
Good news!
Montuhotep88
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay tuned! VERY short article.

Idea

Wonder what it is?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest I have heard/read is that the Swiss Mission has found a tomb on the road to the tomb of Thutmosis III. They have found a black coffin in a room at the bottom of a 3 meter deep shaft. There was also a board that was decorated in fine colors?(The google translation of the blog from Arabic to English is a bot spotty)

I gather that they want to open the coffin before making any announcement. I think they want to know if there is a mummy there or not.

http://luxor-news.blogspot.com/2012/01/something-new-in-valley-of-kings.html
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sounds interesting, but i doubt it is anything significant. probably an embalming cache or usurped tomb.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Jan Akshar: The tomb found by Dr Elina of the University of Basel is of the Lady Nekhmet Bastet a daughter of the priest of Amun Re from 22nd dynasty when the Libyans were ruling.

Sounds interesting and hopefully we will learn more soon Smile
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EEF just provided an link to an article on Ahram
The article includes a photograph

This shows the coffin and the small tablet described in earlier (unofficial) reports.

The text on ahram is short:

Quote:
A deep burial well was found during a routine cleaning carried out by a Swiss archaeological mission on the path leading to King Tuthmosis IIIís tomb in the Valley of the Kings. The well leads to a burial chamber filled with a treasured collection of ancient Egyptian artefacts.

Mohamed Ibrahim, Minister of State for Antiquities, said that further inside the chamber, excavators stumbled upon a wooden sarcophagus painted black and decorated with hieroglyphic texts, and a wooden stelae engraved with the names and different titles of the deceased.

Early studies carried out by the Swiss team revealed that the tomb dates back to the 22nd Dynasty (945-712 BC) and it belongs to the daughter of Amun Re, lecture priest in Karnak temples and also the singer of the God Amun Re.

Excavations are now in full swing in order to reveal more of the tombís treasured collection.

anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the small wooden stela rather interesting. I think it shows the Lady before a seated deity?
I wonder if it will look something like this:

I had seen these wooden tables before, but it never registered with me that these may come from a tomb.
Priest of Hekat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This news certainly has generated some excitment here. Mansour Boraik made an announcement about it this evening before the Donald Ryan MM lecture.
I have to say that with the return of many foreign missions over the last few weeks it feels much more like old times again. I hope to be able to talk to many of the mission heads over the next month or so and it will be interesting to seek their opinions on the current state of egyptology especially in light of Dr. Ibrahim's comments about his views for the future.

http://networkedblogs.com/sIfKm
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let`s hope that all the missions, foreign or Egyptian, will be able to work undisturbed during this and future seasons whatever the political development will be like.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also : University of Basel Kings' Valley Project, from the Preliminary Report on the Work Performed During the Season 2011 in the undecorated tombs KV 26, KV 29, KV 30, KV 31, KV 32, KV 37, KV 40, KV 59 :

Quote:
"... 4. New feature was discovered on the north side of KV 40 and here called KV 40b. ... According to the permission of the SCA, work continued outside the shaft of KV 40 in order to cover the entrance with an iron door. For this security door, which leaves the original size and shape of the shaft visible for future work, the area surrounding the tomb was cleared from debris. During the preparations for the protective brick wall on the north side of KV 40, we discovered a manmade feature under a heap of big stones, only 1,5 m from the shaft edge of KV 40 (fig. 6-7). The feature KV 40b measures approx. 1 m by 2 m. Because of its position very close to KV 40, it could be a foundation deposit for this tomb. Due to its small size, it could also be just the beginning of an unfinished shaft. This feature KV 40b was also covered by an iron door like KV 40 and shall be cleared by us in the next season. ..."

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBC News - Egyptian tomb holds singer Nehmes Bastet's remains (16 January 2012, 16:08 GMT) :

Quote:
"... Professor Susanne Bickel of the University of Basel told the BBC that the coffin was opened on Monday and she was able to see the "nicely wrapped" mummy of the woman who was buried in the tomb.

The opening of the coffin was carried out by Prof Bickel and her Basel colleague, field director Elina Paulin-Grothe, together with the Chief Inspector of Antiquities of Upper Egypt, Dr Mohammed el-Bialy and inspector Ali Reda. ..."

Greetings, Lutz,
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The University of Basel published a short report on its web page: Kings' Valley Project - Short Preliminary Report January 2012.

Greetings, Lutz.
ChasD
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tomb is that of the female singer Nehmes Bastet. Here is the link to an article of the find:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/01/16/female-singers-3000-year-old-tomb-found-in-egypts-valley-kings/
Bolter1224
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Place looks Brand New!
Montuhotep88
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChasD wrote:
The tomb is that of the female singer Nehmes Bastet. Here is the link to an article of the find:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/01/16/female-singers-3000-year-old-tomb-found-in-egypts-valley-kings/

Mph. The photo over the article, at least when I retrieved it, was an image of Tausret/Setnakhte's tomb... sort of misleading. Plus the article claims this is the 64th coffin discovered in the Valley. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: