Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New discovery in the VoK
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montuhotep88 wrote:
ChasD wrote:
The tomb is that of the female singer Nehmes Bastet. Here is the link to an article of the find:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/01/16/female-singers-3000-year-old-tomb-found-in-egypts-valley-kings/

Mph. The photo over the article, at least when I retrieved it, was an image of Tausret/Setnakhte's tomb...

True, KV 14 - Tausert and Setnakht, a view from chamber E into chamber F. For me this is one of the most beautiful and most interesting tombs in the valley. I can't really say how many times i've stayed in it, but every time I see something new.

Incidentally, it is the only tomb in the valley in which we can see the hieroglyph "Seth-Animal" in the inscriptions. In KV 15 - Sety II she was probably likewise used from unknowledge (cartouches on painted ceiling, corridor B - D) and afterwards over-painted / corrected.

Montuhotep88 wrote:
Plus the article claims this is the 64th coffin discovered in the Valley. Laughing

"FOX - News" ... More questionably I do find that the Minister of Antiquities Mohammed Ibrahim seems not really well informed in the excavation history of the Valley of the Kings.

Greetings, Lutz.
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a very poor enlarge of the stela in KV64.

http://s1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii638/debsmainman/?action=view&current=small_stela_KV64.jpg

I think anneke is right, squinting at the blowup it does look as if the two are similar. Sorry about the quality, I'm not very good with graphics.
Embarassed
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enlarge should be enlarge.

Seems I'm not very good a proof-reading either.
Montuhotep88
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
True, KV 14 - Tausert and Setnakht, a view from chamber E into chamber F. For me this is one of the most beautiful and most interesting tombs in the valley. I can't really say how many times i've stayed in it, but every time I see something new.

Incidentally, it is the only tomb in the valley in which we can see the hieroglyph "Seth-Animal" in the inscriptions. In KV 15 - Sety II she was probably likewise used from unknowledge (cartouches on painted ceiling, corridor B - D) and afterwards over-painted / corrected.

Interesting!

Someday, I'll get to the VOK... and I'll be in KV14 and others while the crowds are trying to squeeze into KV62. Cool
Unas
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Anneke's example looks a lot like the small object shown in the first image.

It seems odd to me that such an object should just be found loose, in the open, like that.
Priest of Hekat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update on KV 64.
This evening we had a presentation by Susanne Bickel from the University of Basel at the Mummification Museum here in Luxor. The place was absolutely packed out. I think every mission in the Luxor area was there and people were sitting on the steps because all the seating was full. Even Salima Ikram who arrived at the last minute wound up sitting on the steps!

Susanne gave an excellent talk about all the tombs in the area of the approach path to Tuthmosis III culminating with a description of KV 64 and its very close proximity to KV 40...so close that it was initially though to be just a storage pit for KV 40. The images of the sarcophagus, the mummy and the wonderful stela were extremely clear (thanks to my projector) Wink
Hopefully the Basel team will produce an interim report soon with those clear images. Susanne was asked how soon it would be before the mummy could be scanned. This will probably take about a year as the mummy is coated in pitch which has bonded it to the bottom of the sarcophagus. A friend took detailed notes so, with Susannes permission, this will be blogged soon.
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Priest of Hekat wrote:
This evening we had a presentation by Susanne Bickel from the University of Basel at the Mummification Museum here in Luxor. The place was absolutely packed out. I think every mission in the Luxor area was there and people were sitting on the steps because all the seating was full. Even Salima Ikram who arrived at the last minute wound up sitting on the steps!

Susanne gave an excellent talk about all the tombs in the area of the approach path to Tuthmosis III culminating with a description of KV 64 and its very close proximity to KV 40...so close that it was initially though to be just a storage pit for KV 40. The images of the sarcophagus, the mummy and the wonderful stela were extremely clear (thanks to my projector) Wink
Hopefully the Basel team will produce an interim report soon with those clear images. Susanne was asked how soon it would be before the mummy could be scanned. This will probably take about a year as the mummy is coated in pitch which has bonded it to the bottom of the sarcophagus. A friend took detailed notes so, with Susannes permission, this will be blogged soon.

Thank you for the update Wink

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see in which state the mummy is with all that pitch araound it.
Have they removed the coffin already and did they say if the excavation goes on to see if anything is under the rubble?
Priest of Hekat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mummy is beautifully wrapped and looks in perfect condition having never been disturbed since its burial. You can see the wrapping of the linen and the pitch coating is very thin so the fabric can be clearly seen. Obviously over the millennia the pitch has diffused slightly in the heat and has bonded the wrapping to the base of the coffin.
The coffin has been removed from the tomb and has gone for further conservation and eventually the removal of the mummy.

This Dyn 22 burial is set on top of a layer of sand and rubble which covers the original Dyn 18 burial. That will be the subject of next years field work.
Unas
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Priest of Hekat wrote:

Hey, sounds like a lot of fun! Smile Thanks for the update. What was on the 'wonderful stela'?
Priest of Hekat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Stela is very similar to the image posted by Anneke on the first page of this thread.
Unas
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. What a find!
Sothis
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Priest of Hekat wrote:

This Dyn 22 burial is set on top of a layer of sand and rubble which covers the original Dyn 18 burial. That will be the subject of next years field work.

Do you mean to say that they`ll leave the underlying burial entirely for the next dig season?
Noooooo Sad
Priest of Hekat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the tombs on their permit have been fitted with very substantial steel doors set into concrete surrounds. This was done during last years dig season.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For unofficial reports from Luxor the Swiss team of the University of Basel digs in KV 64 into the depth and has found canopes from the 18. Dynasty ...

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: