Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Intermediate Period...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: First Intermediate Period... Reply with quote

Hi, I'm writing a piece on the First Intermediate Period, so was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what good / bad effects this period had on the later Egyptians? Anyone know of any online articles dealing with this period?

Thanks! Very Happy

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
Sesen35
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Imtermediate period run for approximately 100 years icluding the seventh, eigth, ninth, tenth and part of the evelenth dynasties, very little momnumental evidence exsist from those dynasties.

The Imternmediate period of Ancient Egypt is also known known as the "dark period" probably due to these reasons

-Egypt was divided and rules by two competing power bases, One of those bases resided at Heracleopolis in Lower Egypt, a city just south of the Faiyum region. The other resided at Thebes in Upper Egypt.

- The two powers would eventually reside into conflict which resulted in the reunification of the land, the theben had won.

- countless pharoahs inheriting the throne then being over thrown.

-Then Second intermediate period came and the Hyksos invaded and pretty much controlled Ancient Egypt for a large section of time.

Over all I believe the first intermediate period was about Ancient Egypt and it's pharaohs trying ressolve and unify Egypt as a whole! Which ofcourse was a struggle, seeming that there was competition to whom would inherit the throne and have the power over the whole of Egypt!

I did recently read a book about Ancient Egyptian history which had a large sector about the First and Second Intermediate period! If you wish I can skim back through it, and give you more reliable and informative notes? Smile
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the admonitions of Ipuwer may be one of the topics to look at? Some think the period was brought on by drought?

I looked at JSTOR. Do you have access? If not send me a PM or email and see what I can do Very Happy

A Date for the'Admonitions' in the Second Intermediate Period
J Van Seters - The Journal of Egyptian Archaeology, 1964 - JSTOR
Since the time of AH Gardiner's study of the Admonitions of Ipuwer in 1909, there has been a general consensus among scholars that the work was written in, or at least reflects, the First Intermediate Period in Egypt.

The dark ages in ancient history. I. The first dark age in Egypt
B Bell - American Journal of Archaeology, 1971 - JSTOR
The present paper will examine the evidence for the hypothesis that the First Dark Age of Egypt, the so-called First Intermediate Period, was brought on by a similar prolonged and intense drought.

- Anneke
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have mentioned that the 2 articles above are just 2 examples. There's much more.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your help, Sesen35 and Anneke! Very Happy

anneke wrote:
I looked at JSTOR. Do you have access? If not send me a PM or email and see what I can do...

Yes, I have access to JSTOR, so I'll take a look at those now. Thanks for the suggestions. Wink

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy, Daughter_Of_SETI. It's your old friend and confidant kmt_sesh! No, you can't escape me, so it's no use trying to hide.

I've been absent from ED way, way too long and want to be active again, as much as my schedule permits. In any case I saw your query about the First Intermediate Period and want to suggest Toby Wilkinson's latest book, The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt.

It's very rare that I purchase a general-reference book anymore, but a colleague at the museum whose opinion I value, enthusiastically recommended the book to me, and I've always enjoyed Toby Wilkinson's writing, anyway.

I know this thread is already several days old and perhaps you've even surpassed the need for this in your studies, but The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt contains a detailed and fascinating chapter on the First Intermediate Period. The intrigues, in-fighting, and rival power-plays that constitute this period are quite complex, and Wilkinson does a great job breaking it down and explaining everything.

Just a suggestion. It must be great to have access to JSTOR. I have to go all the way to the O.I. to access it. I am incredibly envious of you, you know. Twisted Evil

(Postscript: I've always had a special fondness for the provincial quality to the art of this period, which was a direct consequence of the breakdown of the state.)

Visit my blog!
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I haven't yet completed my task on the First Intermediate Period, so your suggestions are much appreciated, as always. You know, I believe that may be the billionth time you've recommended that book to me, so either it's really good or you're on commission! Laughing
To be honest, trying to work out the negatives and possitives of that time is prooving difficult, though I had noted that the artwork of the Thebans was supposedly different to the traditional Memphite style due to them being cut-off from this area. Do you know of any good examples of this type of decoration?
I guess that the Middle Kingdom rulers learnt some valuable lessons on how to run their land, too? Not giving as much control to province rulers and the like? Their future style of literature based on this period was a major plus, too, such as the one Anneke mentioned in her previous post.
The downside could be considered as the general suffering the people had to endure during the First Intermediate Period itself.
Not sure of anything else at the moment. Idea

Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an announcement in the last EEF News (707):
Quote:
"The First Intermediate Period", by Dr Glen Godenho

date: Saturday, March 10 ,2012; 2:00 PM

place: The Burrell Collection (Lecture Theatre), Glasgow

info: http://www.egyptologyscotland.com/EgScot/Events/

Greetings, Lutz.
Axenabdw
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daughter of Seti.I hope you have completed your task on the first intermediate period.I believe we are on the same course,although I think you are in group whereas I am in group 2.Defintately an interesting task.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axenabdw wrote:
Daughter of Seti.I hope you have completed your task on the first intermediate period.

Yes, I have just submitted my last task of this month, but unfortunately it's mostly the same as what has already been written. This was probably one of the more difficult set of tasks for me as I haven't previously studied much on the First Intermediate Period, though I did find practicing my drawing skills fun. Laughing

Axenabdw wrote:
I believe we are on the same course,although I think you are in group whereas I am in group 2.Defintately an interesting task.

I am in group one. It's funny because I was chatting to a couple of our fellow "classmates" the other day on facebook that it's a shame we're split into groups, as we don't get to see the work, thoughts and opinions of people we talk a lot to. Don't get me wrong, the study groups are a good idea, but for some tasks it would be interesting to see what others in the year think. Very Happy

Axenabdw
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is agreed.Its also a shame that open days are in Manchester.Thats just to far for me.Maybe if they have something similar in London.Who knows.I see what you mean about the last two tasks being similar..I tried to make my final piece about the recovery from the first intermediate perod,ending ofcourse with Montuhotep ll.But it was definately an interesting period that I had limited knowledge of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Homework Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: