Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some photos of Carter House

View previous topic :: View next topic  
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Some photos of Carter House Reply with quote

As promised here are a selection of photos that I took during my recent visit to Luxor.

http://s1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii638/debsmainman/Carter%20House/

As I said although I read that Carter was a lover of luxury and comfort there is not much sign of it in the house as it stands.

Another thing that confused me is the house on the hill near to Carter House. I had been told that this house was the one occupied by Carter. Certainly the house used during the making of the BBC's series "Egypt" bears no resemblance to the real one. I wonder if the BBC used artistic licence and used one with better views as the real Carter House is low down and is not as dramatic in its setting as the one in the series.
The other thing is that I read that as a condition of being allowed to use the house as a location the BBC agreed to dress the sets with period furniture and fittings etc. and then leave them in situ after they had finished. As can be seen in my photos there is no sign of any of the furnishings used in the series in the real house.

Still, as you may have read in previous posts, Carter is one of my heroes and I really did have to see where he lived during one of the most extraordinary episodes in archaeology.
Hekat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right the BBC did film in the Stoppelare House (the one on the hill) the Carter House was in quite a state at that time. A lot of restoration work was neeed to reopen the Carter House.

We went to the opening in November 2010 when a 3 day Colloquiem was held to mark it with ZH & Lord Carnarvon's descendant.

The BBC do tend to be fairly flexible with their venues as they filmed the VOK scenes in the Western Valley for the Tutankhamun program. Some of the polystyrene props they used are still there in an empty tomb Laughing
theegyptologyblogger
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great pictures thanks for posting. i am certainly gonna put this on my list of things to see when i next visit egypt
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, it was nice to see where Carter did such great work.

It's a "must see" as far as I'm concerned but it is not on the general "tourist route" as far as I know, so you'll probably have to make private arrangements to get there. One thing about that though is that when I was there I had the place all to myself and was able to really examine the exhibits, wander round the garden and generally muse on what had happened there.

As I said in my original post I was surprised to see how spartan the house is, I'm not sure if that reflects the original state but even so Carter was obviously a tough nut (no air conditioning in those days) and I suppose the house was just a place to sleep in between the shifts at the tomb. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Travel All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: