Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

howard carter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jake26
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: howard carter Reply with quote

hi everybody. i am fascinated by howard carter. i was wondering if anybody new weather hes diaries where ever published. if so where can a buy a copy of them. thanks
herper
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

last I read his dairies had not been published
jake26
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn. i thought they where.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are, at least in parts ... See :

Griffith Institute, University of Oxford -> Tutankhamun: Anatomy of an Excavation -> Excavation journals and diaries made by Howard Carter and Arthur Mace[/list].

Greetings, Lutz.
jake26
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks very much lutz. i look forward to reading them.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, jake26.

I would recommend Howard Carter: Before Tutankhamun. Anneke recommend this to me some years ago and I enjoyed it.

You probably are already aware of it but I'd be remiss if I didn't also recommend The Discovery of the Tomb of Tutankhamen, co-authored by Carter and Arthur Mace. What's better than an account of the excavation of KV62 written by the guy who excavated it?

Although I have to be honest here. I've owned a copy of The Discovery of the Tomb of Tutankhamen for years but have yet to read it. Sooner or later, you know. One of those things. Laughing

Visit my blog!
BobManske
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
I've owned a copy of The Discovery of the Tomb of Tutankhamen for years but have yet to read it. Sooner or later, you know. One of those things. Laughing

That'll happen as soon as Kmt-Sesh actually learns how to read on his own and no longer needs anybody to tell him what's been written and ghost write his responses.

Put emoticon here: ha ha ha ha.

Good bye, Doug, thanks a lot, and you're welcome for all the fish. Stop by our way again.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobManske wrote:
kmt_sesh wrote:
I've owned a copy of The Discovery of the Tomb of Tutankhamen for years but have yet to read it. Sooner or later, you know. One of those things. Laughing

That'll happen as soon as Kmt-Sesh actually learns how to read on his own and no longer needs anybody to tell him what's been written and ghost write his responses.

Put emoticon here: ha ha ha ha.

Hey, I can at least enjoy the pictures, right?

Visit my blog!
EgyptianRose
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jake26 Smile

I had to correct you, though I just felt compelled too...

Jake26 wrote: "damn. i thought they where." Shouldn't it be 'were' not 'where'.? Laughing Sorry.

I also would be extremely interested in reading a few of Howard Carters diaries! I could imagine they would be terribly interesting!

Just to get things straight, Howard Carter was not , how do I say, A trained Egyptologist or Archeaologist, He was originally a artist in Egypt correct? Though his fascination drove him to explore and discover things In Egypt which ofcourse eventually lead him to discover the greatest discovery in Egypt? Correct? I must admit, I'm not proud of it, all I really know of Howard Carter is due to a documentary I have watched twice called "The search for Tutankhamun".
It is of course the hieght of irony that, after this intensive campaign to expunge them from the annals of Egypt, the Amarna pharaohs are today probably the most recognized of all the country's ancient rulers!

Quote 'Amarna Sunset' by Aidan Dodson.
EgyptianRose
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry Jake26 we all have a few spelling hip-cups every once and a while Smile
It is of course the hieght of irony that, after this intensive campaign to expunge them from the annals of Egypt, the Amarna pharaohs are today probably the most recognized of all the country's ancient rulers!

kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EgyptianRose wrote:
Hey Jake26 Smile

I had to correct you, though I just felt compelled too...

Jake26 wrote: "damn. i thought they where." Shouldn't it be 'were' not 'where'.? Laughing Sorry.

I also would be extremely interested in reading a few of Howard Carters diaries! I could imagine they would be terribly interesting!

Just to get things straight, Howard Carter was not , how do I say, A trained Egyptologist or Archeaologist, He was originally a artist in Egypt correct? Though his fascination drove him to explore and discover things In Egypt which ofcourse eventually lead him to discover the greatest discovery in Egypt? Correct? I must admit, I'm not proud of it, all I really know of Howard Carter is due to a documentary I have watched twice called "The search for Tutankhamun".

You're right, EgyptianRose, Carter was not an Egyptologist or an archaeologist. Then again, it's probably safe to say few of the people exploring and poking and prodding Egypt in those days were real archaeologists. Even fewer were Egyptologists, and indeed our use of the term "Egyptologist" is probably anachronistic for those early days. Think about it: how many universities in the world at that time offered courses geared toward the professional study of ancient Egypt?

Many of the folks wandering Egypt in those days and digging up tombs and temples were highly educated, but mostly as Classicists. They knew their Greek and Latin but understood little about the history of Egypt--for the simple reason that not much of the real history of Egypt was yet known. The surface was barely being scratched in those days.

Look at Flinders Petrie. When he arrived in Egypt in the late nineteenth century, he had very little formal education of any kind. Nevertheless, he brought with him highly useful practical skills, most especially surveying, which is why he came to Egypt in the first place: to survey the Great Pyramid. Along the way Petrie developed archaeological methods that are still in practice today.

And one of Howard Carter's earliest teachers in Egypt was Flinders Petrie. What a pair they must have been.

On the subject of which, I'll close with another book recommendation. I am not much interested in the biography genre to begin with, but some years ago our poster Daughter_Of_Seti recommended Flinders Petrie: A Life in Archaeology, written by a former student of Petrie's named Margaret Drower. I bought the book and decided I would try to read it, biography or not--and I couldn't put it down. This is a wonderful book!

Visit my blog!
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a portfolio on the discovery of Tutankhamun's tomb by Jaromir Malek that contains pages from Howard Carter's diary (if I remember correctly), but they're in his handwriting and I can barely understand a word of it.
Laughing

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daughter_Of_SETI wrote:
I have a portfolio on the discovery of Tutankhamun's tomb by Jaromir Malek that contains pages from Howard Carter's diary (if I remember correctly), but they're in his handwriting and I can barely understand a word of it.
Laughing

The link I posted here in this thread (Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:08 pm) gives both, scans of the original pages in handwriting and "readable" transcribtions.

Greetings, Lutz.
EgyptianRose
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou once again Kmt_sesh for your wonderful reply. Always appreciated.

Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Lutz. Very Happy

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: