Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Curse of the Mummies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Curse of the Mummies Reply with quote

I am interested in gathering stories around the legendary 'curse of the mummies'

Anything, your stories, links and reference materials.
so do you know anything about:

The victorian hype & made up stories - sources and stories

Any written content found in tombs - from any period.

Hamon and Carnarvon - especially the princess without a hand - what was her name - and what was the argument with her father about?

Mummy in the hold of the Titanic

German scientists research into bacteria in tombs

Anything!
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the ancient Egyptians actually write curses, or 'supernatural threats' on their tombs or coffins?

I think that this 'mummy's curse sunk the titanic' stuff is just an urban legend. I don't think there was a mummy on the ship. I've never heard of the missing hand one though.

And has anyone heard of this bizarre theory that the curse could be due to 'radioactive substances' in tombs? Confused

I've also heard that they discovered an 'unexplained powder' inside a tomb that poisoned everyone that came into contact with it, but even with scientific analysis, they couldn't explain what the powder was...

And apparenlty, it isn't just westerners who get cursed, but the native Egyptians who look after the tombs allegedly die under 'unexplained circumstances'...

These are just some of the rumours I have heard. But really, i think all that curses stuff is just made up to scare people and to inspire countless hollywood mummy movies Laughing
So yeah, I'm slightly sceptical about curses, but I have had an experience that could be counted as one...
I was at the british museum and I decided to touch the hieroglyphs on one of the sacrcophaguses-I know you shouldn't, but I did it just for a laugh. But the next day I had a fever and a really wierd rash on my feet! i don't know where it came from as it wasn't like a flu, but it soon cleared and the next day I was better. So maybe I had been cursed! Laughing
Psusennes III
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisinacrisis wrote:
I've also heard that they discovered an 'unexplained powder' inside a tomb that poisoned everyone that came into contact with it, but even with scientific analysis, they couldn't explain what the powder was...

Well as this is a miscellaneous topic, I do want to react on this one. Maybe people mixed this up with the tombs of some Pré-Colombian rulers; I've seen a documentory on Discovery Channel about the excavations in the Maya temples (don't remember exactly where I'll have to look that up, maybe later) in which they have found in the bottom layers skeletons covered with a red powder, which was very lethal while inhaling it.
Psusennes III
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe 1 curse I know, we discussed it in here in medieval times, maybe Anneke can trace it back (she's good at those things Wink ), it is the true story of the coffin found in Menkaure's pyramid which got lost at sea at the coast of Cartagena (Spain) while it was transported to England. The boat Beatrice sank in a storm and all Ancient Egyptian treasure got lost. Up til today the ship hasn't been located yet.
Psusennes III
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

myself wrote:
...maybe Anneke can trace it back (she's good at those things Wink )...

I got it before her, and without cheating Angel

http://forum.egyptiandreams.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=5444#5444
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I'm flattered.

I did find this page about the curse of the pharaoh. It's the whole curse of King Tut's tomb story with canaries eaten by cobras, predictions, power outages, etc.

http://www.ompersonal.com.ar/features/tutankhamun.htm

There is a page with supposed hauntings in egypt:
http://theshadowlands.net/places/egypt.html

Some of the best from the list:
Giza - Great Pyramids - Tourists often report seeing a man and his three children walking around the pyramids as if looking for someone. They wear clothes from about the 1920's and some think he is an archeologist. Others say they are looking for his deceased wife.

Giza - Khufus's Pyramid - the ghost of Khufu comes out of the pyramid at midnight dressed in traditional Egyptian Armour it is said that Khufu even goes to people's houses and tells them to get out now-one knows the true story about this strange phenomenon

Tel el Amarna - Ancient city of Akhenaten [typo on page???] - The lights continue to go out by them selves.

Valley of the Kings - Right at midnight you will see a chariot rocket past driven by a short man in an ancient Egyptian king suit and drawn by black horses.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's another page.
http://www.ccds.charlotte.nc.us/History/Egypt/05/narron/
Ancient Egyptian Myths and Facts By Chris Narron

It mentions the Titanic story, and I think explains why it can't be true.
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are all so helpful!
thanks!
I will have to find myself an avatar!
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff...but the sceptics do say that the curse of Tut doesn't exist because Carter didn't die from it! But is it true that even the Egyptians who excavate and guard tombs get cursed?

The link mentioned the radiation theory-I saw that on the TV on a series about King Tut, and this scientist said the Egyptians were aware of radioactivity and it's effects on people, and that he discovered that geiger counter readings were very high inside Egyptian tombs! He even said they were able to 'concentrate the radiation' so that it cause intruders to tombs to become very ill.
But that begs the question-where does the radiation come from? I seriously doubt there are any radioactive materials in Egypt. And even if there were, how could the ancients have known about it? I'm sceptical of this theory becuase it reminds me too much of the weirdos who claim the Egyptians had nuclear reactors and nuclear bombs and used nuclear fuel for their spaceships and all that Laughing

But did the Egyptians really write curses on tombs? Seriously? Becuase those 'curses' could really be misinterpretations of hieroglyphic writings...
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="isisinacrisis"]
...I've never heard of the missing hand one though.[/quote]
the story of the hand involves Akhenaten's daughter
she alegedley had a falling out with her father and he had his priests *** and kill her, cut off her hand and bury it seperate to her body - wrecking her chances of entering the paradise.
any more info about this would be great - I know nothing about Akhenaton's family I'm not even confident spelling his name!
naming his daughter would be a great help for my project!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akhenaten had 6 daughters by his Queen Nefertiti:
Meritaten, Meketaten, Ankhesenpaaten (later married Tutankhamen so it's not her), Neferneferuaten-Tasherit, Neferure, Setepenre

He also had a daughter with his wife Kiya. Her name has not been preserved.

He may have had children with his own daughters Meritaten and Ankhesenpaaten, called Meritaten-Tasherit and Ankhesenpaaten-Tasherit.
(Tasherit means something like "junior")

Meketaten died during his reign and was buried in the royal tomb at Amarna.

I'm not sure which one of the daughters was the one mentioned in the story though. I remember reading it somewhere, but I can't find anything about the story.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention: Some have suggested that Akhenaten married his own mother Queen Tiye, and had a daughter Baketaten with her.

I don't believe it personally, but in the case of legends, they may just incorporate something like this Cool

These stories make him the father to his own sister and his gran-daughters. (*gross*)
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akhenaten married his mother...??? Shocked Well it seems that Egyptian royal families really were full of incest...

maybe that's why some people connect him with Oedipus. Makes sense now.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you assume there is no coregency between Amenhotep III and Akhenaten, you end up with Tiye and her daughter Baketaten who are present in Amarna and I think they argue that Baketaten was too young to be a daughter of the deceased Amenhotep III.

Of course, if you assume a coregency then the problem goes away Very Happy

Why people don't assume Tiye might just have had a nice passionate affair with her steward or some other noble I don't know Laughing Laughing

And I do think this is one of the things "Akenates as Oedipus" proponents might point to Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: